CWD Positive. What would you do??

Or if they ever eat anything made in that pan, cut with that knife, on that cutting board.

Not just that.
Anyone know if they can test any amount of brain, like taking in a sample? How about meat- can it be tested?

Here is a video MDWFP posted for collecting samples. They'll also take the entire head with 6" of the neck at their collection stations. Might be different in other jurisdictions.

Stalker69

WKR
I believe that was the thought in 2018-2019. But I believe they have found sense then that bleach don’t touch it and found even autoclave will not get rid of it from utensils.

I believe that was the thought in 2018-2019. But I believe they have found sense then that bleach don’t touch it and found even autoclave will not get rid of it from utensils.

Hmm, if that's the case then what do you do? I mean throwing away of knife or cutting board is one thing, but who wants to throw away a grinder, tenderizer, sausage stuffer or etc? I suppose you could hold the meat unprocessed until you got back the results of the testing but a negative test doesn't rule it out 100%, at least that's what I've read.

Another thing is processors. There are a lot of them around here. They process deer every how you want it for a fee. Even if the equipment can be sanitized, who's going to trust them to do it after each animal? Heck, rumor has it that some of them mix meat from different animals, which is one of the reasons I don't use them.

Then there is the contaminated soil aspect. There are some theories that it spreads through seeds from plants grown in contaminated soil. If that's the case, then it's pretty inevitable that everyone that buys their produce will ingest it at some point. Not saying I buy that theory, but it's certainly concerning.

Or what about getting it the water supply. Are we all doomed to ingest it at some point? If so, about all we can do is hope it doesn't affect us.

Shrek

WKR
CWD has been known since 1967 I believe. If it was transmittable to humans it would have shown up by now. There’s no explosions of CWD like disease in humans around Colorado that I’ve heard of. The paranoia displayed here is not supported by facts on the ground. There’s plenty of kids who’ve been eating CWD infected deer their whole lives and are now approaching 50. Because science hasn’t completely ruled out the possibility of transmission the game departments and medical community tells people to not eat obviously sick or test positive animals. Scientists also haven’t completely ruled out the possibility that there are little green men on Mars who may invade earth tomorrow and kill us all.

WKR
Every processor has ground up deer with it, with those without for years. Not a single case of humans getting it. Either eat antelope, bears and birds, or understand you're probably going to eat a deer or elk with CWD.

Not sure how CO is affording to pay for processing costs on deer that are positive. Seems like all of sudden the deer tag revenue is going to be revenue neutral. From what I am hearing, the infection rate on the eastern plains is very high. How long has it been this high? Not sure as we only just started widespread testing. Pretty sure based on pure statistics that we have eaten infected ones.

jmez

WKR
With the way the prions transmit CWD that is just about the worst way to dispose of a contaminated carcass. Double bagging and sending to a landfill is a far better option that will help mitigate the spread of the disease.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Is it? Concentrating it in an area full of scavengers.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider

If you have found that please cite it. The latest I was aware of is the study referencing bleach decontaminating knives.

brsnow

WKR
CWD has been known since 1967 I believe. If it was transmittable to humans it would have shown up by now. There’s no explosions of CWD like disease in humans around Colorado that I’ve heard of. The paranoia displayed here is not supported by facts on the ground. There’s plenty of kids who’ve been eating CWD infected deer their whole lives and are now approaching 50. Because science hasn’t completely ruled out the possibility of transmission the game departments and medical community tells people to not eat obviously sick or test positive animals. Scientists also haven’t completely ruled out the possibility that there are little green men on Mars who may invade earth tomorrow and kill us all.

Alzheimer’s type diseases are on the rise and have similar symptoms. Nobody actually tests to confirm it would seem.

Throw it away. If I saw a sickly looking deer I would shoot it, call FWP and have them dispose of it and eat the tag. Beef is cheap.
CWD is going to be a game changer on deer hunting. Brucellosis in elk and bison... shit I'm just going to keep trophy hunting and turn vegan!

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
Throw it away. If I saw a sickly looking deer I would shoot it, call FWP and have them dispose of it and eat the tag. Beef is cheap.
CWD is going to be a game changer on deer hunting. Brucellosis in elk and bison... shit I'm just going to keep trophy hunting and turn vegan!
As always, plenty of fish in the sea

Mike7

WKR
Alzheimer's or other similar "old age" dementias are on the rise in large part because of an aging population and increased recognition/diagnosis (designation/diagnosis helps to obtain government covered medical services)...as well as likely some true increase in similar conditions like vascular dementia due to increasing obesity related comorbid illnesses.

Also, the other human prion diseases tend to progress faster than Alzheimers I believe, and present with greater associated physical signs & symptoms as opposed to the mostly cognitive defecits with Alzheimers.

rmiller

FNG
Unfortunately, the "Alzheimer's is different and couldn't be PrP related" Argument doesn't quite have legs. Due in part to the fact that, statistically, Alzheimer's prevalence is growing at a rate that far outstrips the growth of our senescent population. The most damning evidence is, ironically, evidence that it's likely that a large chunk of "Alzheimer's" isn't Alzheimer's.
An intensive autopsy study by Laura Manuelidis (Head of Neuropathology at Yale, if that counts for anything other than an appeal to authority) turned up about 13% of brains diagnosed as Alzheimer's as having distinct CJD pathology.

Back of the envelope math - ~500,000 new "Alzheimer's" cases this year X 13% showing TSE pathology = 65,000

So, assuming the researchers at Yale aren't telling tall tales, the research points toward human TSE prevalence in the US at about 185X higher than the oft quoted 1 in a million figure.

Couple that with the Czub research showing transmission to macaques through infected venison muscle meat (read the actual release by Czub and not the con job about monkey cannibalism a certain farmed deer advocate put out to every outlet that would print it), plus the study by Kristen Davenport at CSU showing in vitro conversion of human prion proteins by CWD PrP and you have about all the correlative experimental evidence you're likely to get.

Oh, and I nearly forgot the documented increase in CJD diagnoses in Wisconsin in lagging proportion to the growth in CWD prevalence being written off to better surveillance.

Does anyone here remember John Gummer going on television and having his daughter eat a hamburger to show that BSE was of no oncern to humans. That was six years before the first confirmed vCJD case.

If you're waiting for the human studies showing definitive causation, that study is you and everyone willingly and unwillingly exposed to it. It ain't legal to run experiments like that on humans in a laboratory setting. Probably for reasons with which most here would agree.

Seems pronghorns and bear are getting more exciting and delicious by the day...