D8

How many here hunt California D8 and what has your experience been like? Looking to see what people's thoughts are......

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tunafed

FNG
I hunt it during archery season for deer and rifle season for bear occasionally. Enjoy it during archery season. I won't hunt it opening weekend of rifle season. Rifle season in general you have to get pretty far off the beaten path to get into animals after the opening weekend armada hits. See a ton of bear up there though so having a tag is never a bad idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
Iv hunted it the past 2 seasons (my first 2 seasons hunting) and been successful with (2) D8 archery bucks.,, if you hunt below timber you will almost never run into another hunter.. that being said,, I will probably be hunting different zones this coming year..

OP
Bigfootcali
Iv hunted it the past 2 seasons (my first 2 seasons hunting) and been successful with (2) D8 archery bucks.,, if you hunt below timber you will almost never run into another hunter.. that being said,, I will probably be hunting different zones this coming year..
How high up and far back have you been and tried to hunt,i know the areas that everyone frequents or goes to. I have seen some good size bucks up in d8,i seen a 5x4 in 2016 that got pushed out due to the cedar fire and also there is some backcountry high elevation spots tgat hold some good bucks.

Block

WKR
Yeah Iv got no doubt there’s bigger and more bucks up high,, I honestly just don’t like hunting that thick stuff (with archery) equipment).,, or running into other hunters.. so I hunted lower..

OP
Bigfootcali
Yeah Iv got no doubt there’s bigger and more bucks up high,, I honestly just don’t like hunting that thick stuff (with archery) equipment).,, or running into other hunters.. so I hunted lower..
Yeah all depends were you go up high,there is some open ground up there and i feel you about running into other hunters. Have been back in bull run basin.

Block

WKR
Yeah no doubt.. like anywhere if you spend the time there’s sum good ones to be had..my GF did get a bear up there in D8 this year.. saw a handful more.. I’m interested to see how the G-6 hunt goes up there this week..