Dang it, Kifaru Hellbender....

ncavi8tor

WKR
This is where I think the Stryker XL has an edge on the Hellbender. Compression with all the front molle
I can criss-cross the straps to the opposite side of the frame on my HB when it's empty and suck it up real tight.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Wrong on both counts. You're somewhat confused. That description is already spoken for. It's called the Hoodlum as I've eluded to on many occasions. I can do a 10 day backcountry hunt or compress it down and road hunt if i so choose. It doesnt get anymore versatile than that ;)

The AMR did that for me.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
I can criss-cross the straps to the opposite side of the frame on my HB when it's empty and suck it up real tight.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Copy that. Glad you have a work around. I personally would rather attach to the bag to suck it in Vs be all X’d up.
To each their own.

tracker12

WKR
Not many tree hunting opportunities in SoCal, all the points you highlighted are noted. Kifaru bags are like Mathews bows, just enough changes to entice one to buy the new model, and I love my VXR 31.5,
it’s just their business model, got to innovate. I love my Kifaru products, and all their molle mind you.

I have the “Striker” pack by camelback. The irony of owning the kifaru “Stryker and Stryker xl”. The camelback striker has a similar stash pocket like the Hellbender, but it also has an admin pocket as part of that same panel. If the Hellbender stash area had a pocket as part of the stash panel, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Imagine a Sherman pocket as the stash panel on the Hellbender, that would be next lvl.
The Camelbak Striker is my favorite tree stand pack. Very well thought out and it was cheap.

rbljack

WKR
Wrong on both counts. You're somewhat confused. That description is already spoken for. It's called the Hoodlum as I've eluded to on many occasions. I can do a 10 day backcountry hunt or compress it down and road hunt if i so choose. It doesnt get anymore versatile than that ;)
I have to agree with this concept. I have the reckoning, and think its the most versatile bag I have owned and its very similar to the Hoodlum as far layout. They changed from center zip to dual side zips and added the zippered side pockets (instead of the open tops) on the hoodlum if my memory is correct. My reckoning can be configured so many ways and still isn't too heavy. Turkey hunting with decoys in bag, day hunt with main bag compressed, shed hunt, extended hunt, carry meat...it pretty much checks all the boxes. Water bladder goes between bag and frame and doesnt leak all over the internal bag if there is a hole or blow out. OH...and the gun can be carried at the ready with the gun bearer, OR stored on the back of the pack with the addition of a medium belt pouch to put the stock down into. That medium belt pouch holds my first aid kit when the gun stock isnt in there. That way...i have quick access to first aid in the event its needed and im bleeding. NO digging into the main bag. Ask me how I know.....LOL>

Love it!

BUT all of that said.....if i was still doing a lot of tree stand hunting in the oaks of Arkansas (Im not anymore....now in texas), I think the hellbender or stryker XL would be the best pack for that and still have the option to go out west on extended hunts with the camp bag or dry sack. The quick detachment system of the hellbender and stryker is definitly a huge plus for that purpose (carrying tree stands).

Last edited:
OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Love my Reckoning. Hoodlum wasn't around when I purchased the Reck.
but I don't like the strapped/pressed down bulk of the Reck for use as a daypack.

Thus, my purchase of the 22Mag/gen2. Perfect for my day needs. Carries an overnight of gear too; quilt, z-pad, sil-nylon tarp, MSR Reactor. There have been times that hunting solo I put down an elk, processed late into the night and overnighted near kill site. But not in Grizz country!

However, both packs will make your back sweaty & wet during a January AZ OTC desert deer hunts. So I have the Scout pack for those short 1/2 day morning/late afternoon trips where buck is packed out via ATV or game cart.

Anyone know what the velcro seam is for on the frame side of the back panel of the hellbender? Doesnt have that on the Stryker XL.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 56