Decoy setup

What is the best decoy setup for hunting spring gobblers? Use Hens only or include Strutting Toms? Does the ideal setup change as the season progresses?

fatlander

WKR
Depends on the time of year. Earlier in the spring, an aggressive Jake following a feeding or upright hen is tough to beat. Later in the year, just a hen is sometimes better. Strutters are hit or miss in effectiveness. I’ve had more birds tuck tail to a strutted than the dsd Jake, so I don’t carry one any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloppy

FNG
Depends on the time of year. Earlier in the spring, an aggressive Jake following a feeding or upright hen is tough to beat. Later in the year, just a hen is sometimes better. Strutters are hit or miss in effectiveness. I’ve had more birds tuck tail to a strutted than the dsd Jake, so I don’t carry one any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree - have had great luck with just the DSD half strut jake. Can mix in a laydown hen too if you want to buy one.

Past few years the jake and hen combo has worked well. Last day of the season last year should have pulled the jake decoy and left the hen by itself. Very cautious after last years pressure on public land.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I hardly use a decoy, but IMO, if you're going to use a strutter or jake, the extra hen is pointless. Later in the season, a lone hen can be good.

Biggie

FNG
Depends on the birds. 75% of the time it's a jake and 2 hens for me. Strutter only comes out when I need the added visibility in tall stubble. Last year in KS they shied away from the jake and I shot both of my birds over a single hen. This morning I had the strutter out because I was in stubble taller than the turkeys. Birds hung up for the longest time because they didn't see my other decoys and eventually came in paying zero attention to the strutter and went straight to the jake. Shotgun birds I usually just bring one jake or one hen as I don't need them in the decoys very long before getting a shot off.

OP
J
Lots of good info here. I just added some decoys to my supply so I can experiment with some of the combinations mentioned. I now have an upright hen, a look back hen, an upright jake, and a strutting tom.