Des Moines, IA Area

So due to this stupid Covid I was furloughed in April and then my position was eliminated mid-October. After what seems 1000 resumes, I have tentatively accepted (drug test and background check) a new position in Ankeny, IA.

I am looking for some info on the area.

1. Apartments - I am looking at the Altoona and Bondurant areas so far. Are there any other areas I should look at or more importantly stay away from?

2. Looking for a good gym

3. Good archery range

4. Good gun range out to at least 300 yards

Thanks for any info you can give me

Scrappy

WKR
Congrats on the new job. I live near the quadcities in eastern Iowa, so I don't really have any good info for you. I know I drive through that area a lot on I-80 and I see that whole area is exploding in growth right now. The good thing about the whole Des Moines area is you can be in rural areas in only minutes in any direction.

Home of John Dudley assuming he still lives in Ankeny. Nice area my son lives in West Des Moines. I can't give you much help on the other requests. There are a lot of worse places you could find yourself vs. where you are headed.

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Iowa. Live in small town NW Iowa so I won’t be of much help. Have family in Ankeny and everything seems to be developing as fast as it can be built there. Other parts of DM the same way. Hope you enjoy your time here. If nothin else, you should be able to find a good whitetail

OP
tim tarras
Thank you for the welcome.

@HawkeyeHunter I'm hoping for just a whitetail! Lately around here you have a better chance of being able to shoot a wolf (season next year) than a deer.

Scrappy

WKR
Look at some of the population control bow hunts around those towns. Wacking a bunch of does in September after work is a blast, plus most if not all have a bonus buck tag the next season if you check in three does.