Dispatch gun

Wheels

WKR
Just curious what everyone is using on their trapline to dispatch critters?
Currently using a .22 rifle. but thinking to switching to a pistol. Can get a Browning Buckmark Camper for $300, may go that route.

go_deep

WKR
I use a pistol, but have started to carry a 10/22 because if I see critter that's not in my trap I have a better chance of actually killing it with a rifle.

WCB

WKR
I've used a 10/22 and a Colt Frontiersman. I like the 10/22 for the reason above. Don't trap a lot anymore on things that need to be dispatched but I think a Savage Rascal or similar would be a good cheap alternative.

mcr-85

WKR
My boys shoot coyotes with their savage rascals. I have an old Sears lever single shot that rides in my truck always. I also have a Ruger Wrangler and a Browning Buckmark. Most the time its my boys with their rascals though.

Bobcats don't get shot.

wytx

WKR
Catch pole or .22 with shorts in it. Revolvers' seem to be more reliable out in adverse conditions for us.
We have a rifle along as well, no feeling like seeing an animal in your trap get out while you're walking up, lol.

EdP

WKR
A .22 Long Rifle is overkill for dispatch and the extra noise can attract unwanted attention. A .22 Short or CB cap (low powered short) works just fine but won't cycle the action on most semi-autos. In my mind that makes a revolver the best option. My first choice would be a Ruger Bearcat in stainless in the model with adjustable sights. Second would be a single six but they are a lot bigger and heavier.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don't trap anymore but I kept a ruger LCRx 22lr around for that when I did. It worked great, I still have that revolver but I havn't shot it in years.

It is light, compact, durable and reliable.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a single action Chiappa revolver and also a Henry levergun for a few years but what I currently use and is my favorite dispatch gun is a Ruger 10/22. I like the 10/22 because of how easy it to load and unload and I can easily change between CCI quiets for head shots and CCI mini mags hps for lung shots by just carrying two mags.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have never had that particular senecio, but I would think I would go with the .22 rifle for accuracy, even thought a handgun may be easier to carry around.

Bubbaj92

FNG
Started with a 10/22 but now I carry a sig p322 supressed. Like the gun but I was really happy with my smith and wesson m+p22 compact handgun supressed. Both handguns cycled everything flawlessly except 710fps cci.

I have an old Iver Johnson .22 I load with shorts. If Wa was less vague on it, I’d probably prefer a dispatch pole.

tuffcity

WKR
take down 10-22, fits nicely in my sled box. Early in the season (up til around Christmas) its also a 45-70 or a .375 H&H . Land sharks can still be active... For reference, my hand is 10" across.

U7vReKc.jpg