Disregard politics or people what’s the worst state to live in?

KBaird

FNG
Kansas guy here that lives in Alaska now. Have always loved the Kansas is flat and boring mantra. Usually always from folks who have never hopped off I-70. I’ve taken a half dozen born and raised Alaska buddies back over the last few years to hunt deer and upland birds. All of them rave about how much wildlife we see, the sunrises/sunsets and how nice it is to walk on solid ground compared to the sponge we live on up here. Some of them intend to make it a yearly trip. Love the adventures Alaska allows, but if someone told me tomorrow I have to pick where I spend the rest of my days I’d take the prairie hands down. Hopefully with a solid muley population for a while yet!

To answer the original question, anywhere east of the Mississippi sucks to me. Could add AR, MN and MO to that as well. At least Iowa has some roosters and is the best of the whitetail-only states.

WKR
Kansas guy here that lives in Alaska now. Have always loved the Kansas is flat and boring mantra. Usually always from folks who have never hopped off I-70. I’ve taken a half dozen born and raised Alaska buddies back over the last few years to hunt deer and upland birds. All of them rave about how much wildlife we see, the sunrises/sunsets and how nice it is to walk on solid ground compared to the sponge we live on up here. Some of them intend to make it a yearly trip. Love the adventures Alaska allows, but if someone told me tomorrow I have to pick where I spend the rest of my days I’d take the prairie hands down. Hopefully with a solid muley population for a while yet!

To answer the original question, anywhere east of the Mississippi sucks to me. Could add AR, MN and MO to that as well. At least Iowa has some roosters and is the best of the whitetail-only states.
I love Alaska but admittedly have not seen most of it. Not a lot of people realize nearly half of Alaska is wetlands. But the mountains are spectacular. In western states you look up at a 14k peak but you are standing at 5k. In Alaska you're looking at 18k peaks from 0.

Okhotnik

WKR

I ve bird hunted quite a bit on the praises out west in many states including KS( I did one year at KSU) . There is something magical running dogs on the prairie in the fall

Last edited:
Driving through West Kansas is rough. You know its bad when you get way too excited for this place:

outside2-e34f7e755056a36_e34f80ba-5056-a36a-0bb4c01d70133290.jpg

UncleRico

FNG
If I had to pick a state, it would be New Jersey. But when I think of places I'd really not like to live in, Houston always makes the list.

Beendare

WKR
What I have learned is that the southeast, Kansas and Ohio suck, and some people can’t not view the world from a political lens.
Yeah, I suppose being a small business owner I’m more severely affected by politics. Its easier for those getting a paycheck that don’t have to deal with government policy.

MattB

WKR
Yeah, I suppose being a small business owner I’m more severely affected by politics. Its easier for those getting a paycheck that don’t have to deal with government policy.
More just following instructions, but I hear you on the burden of government regulation/policy. That burden is ultimately what pushed me to retire. At the end of my career I spent ~10% of my time on compliance with US Patriot Act/KYC requirements, we had 30+ hours of annual training primarily tied to regulatory compliance, and I was required to get FINRA licenses to support securities regulation compliance. If I could have gotten a paycheck without having to deal with all that regulatory compliance, I would still be doing it.

Driving through West Kansas is rough. You know its bad when you get way too excited for this place:

outside2-e34f7e755056a36_e34f80ba-5056-a36a-0bb4c01d70133290.jpg

Been in there at 4AM way too many times. A smarter version of myself would hunt whitetails out of a treestand and not drive 6 hours praying to find a mature mule deer on public.

Beendare

WKR
The states with the largest inflows appear to be Texas and Florida.

My hunting buddies are gravitating to MT, UT and ID.

Do you move somewhere just for the hunting?
Do you move just to avoid the politics?

I don’t know the answer to those….I think you try to live where your overall quality of life is best….

WKR
Personally, I believe it would be irrational to disregard either people or politics when choosing a place to live. Especially today.
When choosing a place to live, absolutely.

When choosing to respond in a thread titled "Disregard politics or people..." seems pretty rational to disregard them to me.

If it was a thread titled, "disregard stock colors available, whats the best rifle for hunting out west?" And some kept jumping in to argue the importance of stock colors and materials, I think that would be strange.

Nope, nevermind. That's exactly what would happen. Carry on.

cck311

FNG
A guy I know from SD drove to CO. to buy some weapons for his gun store in Aberdeen. He spent the night in a local hotel and during the night his truck was broken into and 16 guns were stole. He called the local police to report it and was arrested on 16 counts of improper storage of firearms, along with anything they could muster up to make it worst.
Last fall I stayed a night in Wheat Ridge to get some traditional archery coaching at rmsgear. I found a Holiday Inn online that was in every close proximity to the store, so I booked it. When my wife and I got there we were shocked. Large numbers of homeless, tweaky looking people were everywhere in that neighborhood 😬. We were pretty nervous that our recently purchased truck might get broken into overnight. Luckily we didn't have any problems. This taught me an important lesson to always read the reviews before booking a hotel, because a number of people in the reviews section commented on all the junkies in the area.

cck311

FNG
Nobody is gonna mention Utah? Man, this was a swell place to grow up, but we are turning into Kalifornia Lite with goofy liquor laws.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure why all the hate for Kansas. Apparently, most have just drive from one end to the other on I70. I went on a duck hunting trip there and loved the area. Something about that prairie is very cool. If I had to pick it would be one place that I would not want to live, it would be the coal field area of WV followed closely by NJ.