Distance to 'Get Away Cabin' or Property?

KJH

WKR
For those that own a cabin or property for your personal 'get away', how far away is it from your house?

Is there a preferred distance to have a Get Away?
Our cabin is 3 hours away. We are there 75% of the weekends of the year. Its far enough to be away, but close enough to go often. Spend a few weeks in the summer there and a few weeks in December too... actually most holidays. Years ago my kids chose the cabin over softball and baseball for their summer activities. None of them regretted it, and the list of friends who wanted to go got longer every year. The whole place is the best single investment in family I could have made. If your family is truly onboard with it 3 hours isn't bad. My wife and I do more communicating on the drives than any other time. Its a big part of our life. Hunting, fishing, boating, and all our great friends are there.

My parent's place that is fair game for anyone who wants it is a little over 3 hours away. My parents are there 100+ days a year since COVID.

My little shack and hunting land is about an hour away.

Dream is to get a nice chunk of land that I (and the family) would want to live on so a guy doesn't spend so much time behind the wheel. The tough part is finding enough space close enough to civilization for the family that doesn't cost millions..

I have 2 friends...both with remote cabins. 1 lives 4 hours away...the other lives 1 hour away. Guess which one gets used the most? Yep...the 1 hour guy. He can do alot of day trips and not such a production to get in. I think a cabin can still be "remote" depending on "where" you build.

2 1/2 hours or less is a weekend getaway.
2 1/2 to 5 hours is a 3 day weekend.
More than 5 hours is at least 4 days.
IMO
A buddy of mine had a cabin 2:15 hour away, the drive up was not bad the drive home was brutal if I was hungover. Lol

Ours is 1.5 hrs away and 23 hrs away. Almost every weekend and holiday we are at the family property.
Some years I don’t even it make it to the house in ND.

Our property is 3 hours away, no cabin yet, well drilled last year, cabin plans in hand, hoping to start construction this summer and have the exterior done by winter. I love the drive, the 3 hours feels like half that to me. Property is beautiful, not as many trees as I would prefer, but the 750' of river frontage makes up for some of that. When we are there, we never want to come back.

Wags

WKR
15 hours one way... not ideal but once we hit the eject button on this state it'll be significantly closer.

bozeman

WKR
We are looking @ property today that is 50 mins away……..I don’t want much over 1.5 hrs. Just don’t think I’d visit as much…….

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
I have a cabin that 3:15 away for 6 months out of the year an 4:45 for the other six due to a pass that closes. We get over there every 3 to 4 weeks for 3 day trips when that pass is open and probably every 5 weeks when the pass is closed and we have to drive around. It's always worth it when we pull in to the cabin since there is no TV Internet or cell service.

Actually looking at a cabin/property tomorrow.... put an offer in and was accepted so it looks like 4.5hrs away and we are going to see if it's to far away. I think a lot is going to depend on how the drive is.

My hunting lease is 9 hrs away. Fortunately
I have a job I can do while away from home. For me personally 2-4 hrs would be idea to be far enough away but close enough to use on any weekend. If the market ever adjusts I am thinking about buying a small elevated house on the water about 3/4 hrs north of where I live. I can easily get up there Thursday afternoon or evening and drive back Monday morning. I would just buy a small cheap condo here where I work. I am single so no one to please or accommodate but myself. Getting too crowded where I live now.
i am not looking to have two properties to maintain.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw