Ditched the stabilizer

worx53

WKR
I shoot a sr-71 and a xpedition xcentric. I spent a lot of time rotating a perimeter weighted stabilizer to multiple positions on both bows and both shoot better groups without it. Both bows are shot all the time with quivers on.

MattB

WKR
Ill shoot a stabilizer all day long. When I'm really breathing heavy, winds gusting, or I'm trying to thread the needle, the stabilizer helps make the hold much easier for me. Wouldn't think of not using one. Ill save the weigh somewhere else.

This

When I got my new bow this spring (Hoyt Nitrum), the guys at the pro shop advised me to shoot the bow for a couple months without a stabilizer. That way when I put a stabilizer on, I would be able to notice the benefits/drawbacks of the stabilizer. After a few months of shooting, I tried a number of different stabilizers until I found one that tightened my groups. The process helped me out considerably.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/2013/07/does-short-stabilizer-really-add-stability

Interesting, with an N number of 2 hardly scientific but interesting. I think bottom line to this question is do what works best for you, nothing wrong with either way- to many other confounding variables to make a judgement.
Absolutely. There's no perfect answer and these machines work for each of us differently.
When I got my new bow this spring (Hoyt Nitrum), the guys at the pro shop advised me to shoot the bow for a couple months without a stabilizer. That way when I put a stabilizer on, I would be able to notice the benefits/drawbacks of the stabilizer. After a few months of shooting, I tried a number of different stabilizers until I found one that tightened my groups. The process helped me out considerably.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I'll shoot a while without and then go back to it and see what happens. Right now, it feels like I'm floating a little more and a little wider than I'd like. Won't figure it out overnight.

OR Archer

WKR
You should also try getting your heart rate up before shooting a group and see how that affects your shooting without a stabilizer. It's not hard to shoot decent groups in calm conditions without one. It's when the adrenaline is flowing and the hearts pounding that it might just be worth its weight in gold to you.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
You should also try getting your heart rate up before shooting a group and see how that affects your shooting without a stabilizer. It's not hard to shoot decent groups in calm conditions without one. It's when the adrenaline is flowing and the hearts pounding that it might just be worth its weight in gold to you.
Excellent idea.

But the stabilizer gives me something to wrap my compression straps around! I can shoot probably just as well without one but I practice with a stab so I hunt with a stab.

jmez

WKR
Levi Morgan has an interesting take on this in the new Field and Stream. They have a multi page "interview" with him that is worth picking up. Based on what he says the only reason you would shoot better without one is because you are using the wrong one. His opinion, the single thing anyone can do to increase downrange accuracy is get the correct stabilizer set up.

It is a good read on a lot of form/accuracy related targets.

Levi Morgan has an interesting take on this in the new Field and Stream. They have a multi page "interview" with him that is worth picking up. Based on what he says the only reason you would shoot better without one is because you are using the wrong one. His opinion, the single thing anyone can do to increase downrange accuracy is get the correct stabilizer set up.

It is a good read on a lot of form/accuracy related targets.

I would agree completely, problem is unless you have a huge pro shop that has a ton of loose weights and stabs or get free shit you will be spending a TON of money trying to get there.

Cross

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't that the truth. Wish pro shops had an area dedicated to trying different components to see what really works for you and your bow.

jmez

WKR
Good point, it is virtually impossible to try anything but common stock stabilizers where I live. According to the article he feels these are pretty much useless. He's a proponent of long stabilizers as well, the weight isn't near as big of a factor with him as length.

I think the hunt matters as well. He recommends everyone use a sidebar. I don't think a long stabilizer with a sidebar is the best setup to beat around the backcountry for two weeks. I wouldn't want to do that anyway. Sitting in a tree hunting deer, sure.

He also puts his sight as close to his riser as possible. His opinion that the farther from your riser and eye the less accurate you will be.

He also puts his sight as close to his riser as possible. His opinion that the farther from your riser and eye the less accurate you will be.
He is the expert, not me... but isn't that like saying pistol sights are more accurate than rifle sights? Not to mention, he also shoots a scope doesn't he? Perhaps his eyes are just more comfortable looking through a close pin than a far one, but I disagree with the closer sight theory, in general.

Back on topic, I've tried light 12" stabs, heavy 6" stabs and the 4" S-coil as well as none and all and haven't noticed a difference. I need to shoot some groups with wind and an elevated heart rate to go compare for myself at 40+ but I think this is a YMMV subject. All I know is that I shoot worse with a quiver on and there are many options of stabs to try to get some help with the balance. I'm interested to try a short (1-2"), heavy (6-8 oz) sidebar to offset the quiver weight.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
So after shooting for about 2 weeks without the stab, I threw it back on today as a bit of a test. Verdict is: it's staying on. Float decreased substantially, groups tightened up. I didn't even have to get to OR's test of getting the heart rate up. If I have a long hike to a WT stand site that will only have short shots, I might be tempted to leave it at home, but by and large the difference was enough to pay that weight penalty everywhere else. Thanks for all the info and input fellas!

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this post I spent all weekend w/o the stabilizer, and I loved it, which scares me a little bit. If all these "pros" are telling me I should shoot better with one, then why am I doing the opposite. I felt less float and at longer range I am able to hold my pin on target better. My groups are tighter and the bow feels great. I guess I will keep doing what works, but I will see how it feels during a Train to Hunt circuit tonight. I hate that I am changing anything this close to elk season but if it is for the better then I will go with it. What the heck...

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Not every stabilizer will do much to help. A stab will only help once it breaks past the limb pockets and even then only the little bit that extends out past that point is effectively helping anything. If it's less than an inch past your limb pockets then essentially you have a vibration dampening weight, not a stabilizer. Just food for thought.

Been shooting for the past week without the stabilizer, and am loving it. Today I was in the zone. First four shots at 90 yards. My Stokerized SS1 is for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants it.

Attachments

• 90 yard group.jpg
    90 yard group.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 34