Ditching Hanwag, need boot suggestions please.

young7.3

WKR
I've been using the Hanwag Makra trek the last few years but have dealt with the forefront of their boot shrinking and am over it. I spent the last 6 weeks in Montana elk and deer hunting and my feet aren't happy. Looking for something similar in weight and flex (or slighter more flexible), but with more room in the toe box. And something that doesn't shrink. I'm size 13/14 if it matters.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been using the Hanwag Makra trek the last few years but have dealt with the forefront of their boot shrinking and am over it. I spent the last 6 weeks in Montana elk and deer hunting and my feet aren't happy. Looking for something similar in weight and flex (or slighter more flexible), but with more room in the toe box. And something that doesn't shrink. I'm size 13/14 if it matters.

leather shrinks

Look at crispi briksdal mtn gtx, wont be as light but has more toe room, 100% synthetic, and less stiff

cured_ham

WKR
L+S Mountain Hunter Encompass is what I went to from my Makra Combi. Roomier toebox and without feeling clunky

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Thanks i may try the crispis. Anyone know the best source for them? Blackovis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big fan of my L&S Mountain Hunters so far. Haven’t worn Hanwag but have worn Lowa Hunter, Crispi Colorado, Kenetrek Guides and Kenetrek Extremes and prefer the L&S to all of them.

prm

WKR
I had the Hanwags, but eventually switched to Crispi Kenai. Really happy with the Kenai. The Kenai is only available through Blackovis.

Radford

FNG
I don’t know these boots but I have used crispi boots in the Clearwater and Appalachian mountains. I don’t like them for the same reason you are looking for new boots. I have the Crispi Guide boot. For a $500 boot I am very disappointed. I bought it in 2019 I think. The waterproofing didn’t hold up long. And the toe box is too tight. Other than that they are comfortable. I’ll follow along and see if you find a good option that might fit my needs as well. Good luck. But I would not recommend Crispi. Just my opinion.

Crispis have a wide toe box.

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
I don’t know these boots but I have used crispi boots in the Clearwater and Appalachian mountains. I don’t like them for the same reason you are looking for new boots. I have the Crispi Guide boot. For a $500 boot I am very disappointed. I bought it in 2019 I think. The waterproofing didn’t hold up long. And the toe box is too tight. Other than that they are comfortable. I’ll follow along and see if you find a good option that might fit my needs as well. Good luck. But I would not recommend Crispi. Just my opinion.

Is the Guide model the only one youve tried?

Radford

FNG
Yes it is. It is the top of the line when it comes to Crispis. I do not agree with other user’s opinions that these boots have a wide toe box. I have many hours and miles in them. I use them for work and hunting. I am a forester for a land management agency and have worked all over the country. I used these boots in Idaho I. The Clearwater NF and in Virginia in the Jefferson NF performing forestry and prescribed fire job duties in addition to hunting. I would only recommend them if you had a narrow foot and they were much cheaper. For the price they just aren’t worth it. In my opinion a lot of people spend a lot of money on gear and will justify their purchases whether it worked out or not. Just my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth.

Edit to add a little more info:
I measure a 12D on the Braddock device so I don’t have a wide foot. And I wear that size for most brands. And there are a few brands that I just have problems with when it comes to the toecap being too small.

Since the guide is one of if not the best boot they offer and I was not happy with it I did not see any point in trying any other boots from Crispi. And some boots just don’t work for some people. That’s just how it goes sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Yes it is. It is the top of the line when it comes to Crispis. I do not agree with other user’s opinions that these boots have a wide toe box. I have many hours and miles in them. I use them for work and hunting. I am a forester for a land management agency and have worked all over the country. I used these boots in Idaho I. The Clearwater NF and in Virginia in the Jefferson NF performing forestry and prescribed fire job duties in addition to hunting. I would only recommend them if you had a narrow foot and they were much cheaper. For the price they just aren’t worth it. In my opinion a lot of people spend a lot of money on gear and will justify their purchases whether it worked out or not. Just my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth.

Edit to add a little more info:
I measure a 12D on the Braddock device so I don’t have a wide foot. And I wear that size for most brands. And there are a few brands that I just have problems with when it comes to the toecap being too small.

Since the guide is one of if not the best boot they offer and I was not happy with it I did not see any point in trying any other boots from Crispi. And some boots just don’t work for some people. That’s just how it goes sometimes.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m still not sure what boot im going to try

gearguywb

WKR
I wear Crispi's (two different pair) in 12W. A lot of room in the toe box, more than other boots I have found.
They held up great on a 12 day bear hunt in Kodiak where it rained non-stop for 5 days.

I have had Kennetrek's prior and felt like their was more room in the Crispis

I wanted to try Hoffman's on their BF sale, but after posting a simple sizing question on their thread, and sending emails on their web site "contact us", no answer after 10 days or so. I would hate to think what CS service would be like

gostovp

WKR
I called Hoffman directly with sizing questions and they were great on the phone. I ordered some 8” Explorers on their Black Friday sale. I followed thier advice that the explorers run a hair small so I ordered an 11.5W. I’m normally and 11 or 11.5 and measure just over D width. The Wides have a lot of room in the toe box for me but I still get great heel lock. I’m really liking them

I've been using Hanwag Ancash and Alverstone II GTX. I love them both. The Alverstone II seem a little more flex friendly when I use them vs the Ancash and lighter to wear per boot weight.
I did just buy a pair of Crispi Nevadas and Shimeks...reason is as my feet age, the Crispis seem easier to wear out of the box and need much less break in time. Us old guys need easier boots to hunt in!