diy quilt question

WoodBow

WKR
Im about to order insulation for my quilt. I have decided on 5oz apex. How much do i need? Seems like most people make them around 78" long. So just order 3 yards? Anybody thay will sell 2.5 yards?

coop2424

WKR
I had a buddy that wanted one so we split materials.. 2.5 yards is what is needed.. Mine is going to be extra long and will be around 7' finished.. I looked for somewhere for half yards and couldn't find it..

If I were you ditch the 5 oz . The 5 oz is only rated down to 30 degrees. Go with the 7.5 ounce which is 10 degree rated or most likely a good 20 degree quilt. I've made several out of 5oz and froze in 35 degree weather in a merino base layer and the pad was a neo air x-lite.

LBFowler

WKR
I bought my climasheild from the Rainshed in Oregon, they do half yards in person but I don't know if they do for mailorder. worth giving them a call.

I went with 6oz, and I probably wouldn't use it under 35-40,* and I might need some good clothing to get there.

I used my 5oz down into the upper 20s this season and did just fine. If you're using it during archery the 5oz will be just fine. If you're a cold sleeper, go with the 6 or 10oz. As far as the length goes, plan for at least 8-12 extra inches. I'm glad I built the longer quilt to cover my head when the temps dropped. I would also recommend going a little wider than you think you need.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
We do hunt archery. Temps are typically upper 20s to low 30s on the coldest nights. I'm not an overly cold sleeper. I have been running a cheapo blue foam pad (new pad is in the mail) and a cheap 30 degree bag from academy that I paid like 30 bucks for. And I haven't died yet. There were times I could have been warmer though.

I think I will go with the 7.5 oz. Hopefully we will get a little more cold weather before spring is here for good so I can give it a test run.

I've been thinking of building a quilt and this thread has pushed me over the edge. Now I'm going to have to give it a try.

It's a pretty simple project. Best thing to do is figure out you measurements and make a pattern with heavy weight paper or cardboard. Cutting the two she'll pieces the same size is probably the most difficult part. I wish they made the 10oz climashield in the 64" width. Mine is not quite wide enough.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
What are you going to use for the inner and outer shell?

Its basically a very lightweight water resistant nylon taffeta. I picked it up on sale for almost nothing. I didn't have plans for it when i bought it but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I was afraid it was waterproof and wouldn't breathe but it is not. All of my expense will be insulation so if im not happy with the material, i will just salvage the insulation and redo it.