DIY skull cleaning (Turkey fryer) tips?

Ucsdryder

WKR
In the past I’ve either don’t beetles or skull capped. I want to try to DIY euro on a bull. I have a Turkey fryer and bought the strong peroxide to help whiten. This skull is going in the garage so I’m not too worried about getting it pure white.

I’d like to hear any tips or things to avoid. I have a pressure washer as well.

Tod osier

WKR
In the past I’ve either don’t beetles or skull capped. I want to try to DIY euro on a bull. I have a Turkey fryer and bought the strong peroxide to help whiten. This skull is going in the garage so I’m not too worried about getting it pure white.

I’d like to hear any tips or things to avoid. I have a pressure washer as well.

Use washing soda (available at grocery store - Arm and hammer, super washing soda) in the initial cooking, makes a big difference.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Use washing soda (available at grocery store - Arm and hammer, super washing soda) in the initial cooking, makes a big difference.

I was planning on using dish soap. Is this a better option?

Tod osier

WKR
I was planning on using dish soap. Is this a better option?
Washing soda breaks down the meat and connective tissue, so a different purpose. The dish soap removes the fat (use a lot of dish soap when you do). I did it for years without the washing soda, I think it works great with it added and gives a head start. I do the first cook with washing soda, and go with new water and dish detergent. I've never mixed them, just haven't tried it.

I usually just simmer it for 20-30 mins with a lot of dish soap and and borax to degrease. You dont want the antlers in the water so tape them off good and keep them out of the pot. Make sure to pop out the ear bones or else its hard to get all the crap in the brain area out. Then take a low power electric pressure washer to carefully get off anything left. Repeat that if needed, then take the peroxide hair dye stuff and completely coat the skull in it inside and out. I also take these thin cheap white rags from home depot and soak them in the peroxide and wrap it all over the skull and stuff into the all the holes, might be overkill but idk. Then i wrap in plastic and throw it in a warm spot overnight like my heated bathroom floor. In the morning its done. I've only done 6, but its really easy. Just dont overboil it or teeth may start falling out. Here's my bear from this spring

Attachments

• 20230924_085045.jpg
    20230924_085045.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230924_085116.jpg
    20230924_085116.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 57
Also, if teeth do fall out its not a big deal as long as you dont lose them. Just super glue them back in at the end

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I usually just simmer it for 20-30 mins with a lot of dish soap and and borax to degrease. You dont want the antlers in the water so tape them off good and keep them out of the pot. Make sure to pop out the ear bones or else its hard to get all the crap in the brain area out. Then take a low power electric pressure washer to carefully get off anything left. Repeat that if needed, then take the peroxide hair dye stuff and completely coat the skull in it inside and out. I also take these thin cheap white rags from home depot and soak them in the peroxide and wrap it all over the skull and stuff into the all the holes, might be overkill but idk. Then i wrap in plastic and throw it in a warm spot overnight like my heated bathroom floor. In the morning its done. I've only done 6, but its really easy. Just dont overboil it or teeth may start falling out. Here's my bear from this spring
So 20-30 min total simmer gets the meat soft enough to fall off? I was told 2-3 hours at a barely bubble (simmer).

So 20-30 min total simmer gets the meat soft enough to fall off? I was told 2-3 hours at a barely bubble (simmer).
I dont do it that long. Id just do it 30 mins at a time until it seems degreased and you can get all the meat and brain tissue off with the pressure washer. I did 2 hours on my first one and it overcooked it

I've done several myself. It's not too bad. Just get everything you possibly can skinned off it before you throw it in the pot. Simmer it for a while in regular water, then take it out and power wash it. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times. You can whiten as much as desired after that. I'd just caution not to get the water too hot or leave it in too long. My first skull was a boar and I left it in too long and softened some of the bone.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
1. Don’t wait 2 weeks to do it
2. A Turkey pot isn’t big ebough

Attachments

• 71753510707__B0BE19AD-E588-4A81-B3A6-5970F42F2F65.jpeg
    71753510707__B0BE19AD-E588-4A81-B3A6-5970F42F2F65.jpeg
    834.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 71753605978__03D4F754-2593-4460-9956-1FDCFE1AECB1.jpeg
    71753605978__03D4F754-2593-4460-9956-1FDCFE1AECB1.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 71

Pokerface

FNG
I have used the maceration method on several last year, then degrease and then peroxide- turned out well , but not for those with weak stomach.

Hnthrdr

WKR
1 thing I’ve learned from doing it twice now… careful with the temp, boil it too hot and typically you will break the nose/ upper end jaw bones out

Hopefully I can not screw up on the 3 bucks and bull moose I have been waiting to clean up since they are done with the Beatles