DIY skull cleaning (Turkey fryer) tips?

Got get an rectangle metal pan from tractor supply, lowes, ect...that way the skull will sit flat on the bottom of the pan and you can use a broom handle/stick behind the horns to keep from tipping over. Simmer for an hour or so, i use a scoop of oxiclean powders in the water, and then hit with a low power PW. I then make a paste made from hair salon powder peroxide and the 20% peroxide solution. Sally's beauty salon is a good source. Paint in on with a brush, set in the sun for a couple hours...rinse it off let dry then coat it with Mop and Glow...let it dry. Mop and glow will seal all the pours in the bone and make it easy to clean.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
1 thing I’ve learned from doing it twice now… careful with the temp, boil it too hot and typically you will break the nose/ upper end jaw bones out

Hopefully I can not screw up on the 3 bucks and bull moose I have been waiting to clean up since they are done with the Beatles
Beetles are the way to go.

Geewhiz

WKR
Got get an rectangle metal pan from tractor supply, lowes, ect...that way the skull will sit flat on the bottom of the pan and you can use a broom handle/stick behind the horns to keep from tipping over. Simmer for an hour or so, i use a scoop of oxiclean powders in the water, and then hit with a low power PW. I then make a paste made from hair salon powder peroxide and the 20% peroxide solution. Sally's beauty salon is a good source. Paint in on with a brush, set in the sun for a couple hours...rinse it off let dry then coat it with Mop and Glow...let it dry. Mop and glow will seal all the pours in the bone and make it easy to clean.
Mop and glow is the ticket. It seals the bone, gives it a bit of a dull shine, and it kinda smells good. I like to leave antlers raw and untouched but I will also throw a coat of mop and glow on antelope sheaths too and it really makes them pop.

Like all the other guys said. Simmer with some kind of degreaser and then pressure wash to remove the tissue. If you spray the antlers you can take the color right off of them. I use 40 volume peroxide whitener which is like a shampoo consistency, wrap it in plastic to keep it from drying, and leave it overnight. The first time I used it I was suprised how well it worked.

My friends roll their eyes when I have an elk euro'd and on the wall 2 days after shooting it. lol

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Mop and glow is the ticket. It seals the bone, gives it a bit of a dull shine, and it kinda smells good. I like to leave antlers raw and untouched but I will also throw a coat of mop and glow on antelope sheaths too and it really makes them pop.

Like all the other guys said. Simmer with some kind of degreaser and then pressure wash to remove the tissue. If you spray the antlers you can take the color right off of them. I use 40 volume peroxide whitener which is like a shampoo consistency, wrap it in plastic to keep it from drying, and leave it overnight. The first time I used it I was suprised how well it worked.

My friends roll their eyes when I have an elk euro'd and on the wall 2 days after shooting it. lol
You guys sure make it sound easy. I’m on hour 4 of ******* with this stupid thing.

Geewhiz

WKR
You guys sure make it sound easy. I’m on hour 4 of ******* with this stupid thing.
Yeah the guys that said simmer for 30 mins must have a shortcut. I did a bull and an antelope on sunday and it took me like 5 hours between the 2. And yes I had brains on my face too haha

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah the guys that said simmer for 30 mins must have a shortcut. I did a bull and an antelope on sunday and it took me like 5 hours between the 2. And yes I had brains on my face too haha
Yep. The 30 minutes doesn’t work.

Breathe through my nose and smell stench of 2 week old elk.

Breathe through my mouth and get brains in my mouth.

No good options.

svivian

WKR
For sure my buddy has a colony, but it seems like they aren’t picked totally clean, like I need to boil and clean up a little and then bleach them
Is he keeping enough moisture on the skull? I never had an issue unless i let it dry out like jerky and mine wouldnt touch it at that point.

I do miss having beetles

By the time you make it legal to take across state lines there isn't much left to clean off.
I will usually throw something in the smoker at the same time...few beers help pass the time, usually a 3 to 4hr window till its ready to be bleached...I just keep checking the pot and the smoker every hour so until they are ready.

Should have taken an old metal hanger and scrambled the brains out first
funny story, last year I was teaching my son how to do that and when he hooked a big chunk and pulled the hanger shot it all over his face, and yes his mouth was open lol. moments you wish you had a camera.

I just boil like everyone else. nothing fast about it.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR

Crap. Didn’t wrap in plastic. Didn’t keep from drying. Maybe I’ll reapply tomorrow

I learned from a taxidermy buddy to bury the head in the dirt up to the bases. Duck tape the bases. Cover the skull burial with a large tub but leave a brick under the edge to keep air moving. Remove mine about 6-7 months later power wash and done. I won't go down the boiling rabbit hole anymore.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I learned from a taxidermy buddy to bury the head in the dirt up to the bases. Duck tape the bases. Cover the skull burial with a large tub but leave a brick under the edge to keep air moving. Remove mine about 6-7 months later power wash and done. I won't go down the boiling rabbit hole anymore.
If I did that in my neighborhood that would be epic.

I did my last euro while I cut/wrapped steaks, and ground packaged all the burger.

It takes 5-6 hours, but maybe 30 minutes total of hands on work

Wrap bottom of horns in foil or tape

Add a cup of borax, and dawn dish soap to water

Put skull In pot with water up to base of horns in simmering water.

After a couple hours scrape any meat non bone material with dental picks

Drain pot, add borax&dawn dish soap, add skull again for a few more hours.

Scrape anything off skull

Should be clean now

Brush in peroxide whitening at this time if you want that look

I do 2 boils with Dawn and oxyclean. The first one gets the worst off then I change the water and repeat. Then pressurewash. Then lots of 40 volume peroxide gel wrapped in plastic for a day or two. The warmer it is the faster the peroxide works. Those and a 6 pack has been my go to for years.