DIY skull cleaning (Turkey fryer) tips?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ucsdryder I want to see how it turns out. Congrats on the elk BTW. Is this an archery bull?
It’s getting there. I re-did the peroxide and wrapped in plastic wrap. Sitting in the sun for the afternoon.

Yeah archery bull that has more in common with a big deer than a bull elk.

TripleJ

WKR
Always takes me way longer than people say, I simmer for 4-5-6 hours, removing and pressure washing at intervals.
This is my experience as well. Low simmer, not boil, using borax and Dawn, and taking it out periodically to pressure wash. The more skulls I do, it seems like each time I get a little better at it.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
Like others said, watch some white bone creations videos. You get the skull as clean as you can, then boil for about 30 minutes, pressure wash, and repeat. Put the peroxide gel on for a couple days, and it comes out perfect. Mop and glow after it drys, and you are set.

Buffalo

FNG
I put the head in a plastic bag with a few holes poked in it. Hang it in a tree away from the house and let flys take care of it. Takes a few weeks.

I’ve done the boiling route a bunch and maceration on bears a few times. I did the steam technique on a moose this weekend and it was WAY easier and more efficient than dealing with boiling or soaking for days.

Bought a crappy propane tank for $5 online and a $3 nipple. Had an old water hose laying around. Total cost including propane for about 3 hours was probably $15. Total project time not including bleaching was about 4 hours. 3 hours of steaming and probably 20 minutes pressure washing.

IMG_7035.jpegIMG_7040.jpegIMG_7042.jpegIMG_7043.jpeg
IMG_7046.jpeg

Now just gotta bleach it. Beetles no doubt have the best product and saves the nasal bones, but this method is by far more efficient than boiling or maceration.

NDM91920

FNG
We add a little bit of dish soap in with the water to help get some of the fatty parts to boil off the skull and get some cheap painter suits to pressure wash in. Your clothes and your wife with thank you if your keep the smell off you.

WCB

WKR
Break out the "ear bones"...makes getting the brains out WAY easier and nobody will notice. Just like the bones inside the nose. I have some that I saved the nose bones and some I haven't. After about 2 weeks on the wall it makes no difference.

Clean absolutely as much off as you can before you "simmer" with some oxyclean. Pull out and scrape some tissue off after 30-40minutes You will know if it comes off easy or not. Power wash. If needed put it back in and re power wash. I would say for a Moose or Elk give it a good hour before trying to power wash.....

Once 99% clean...I put mine in fresh water at a simmer with oxyclean and a little dawn dish soap. for 30min or so. Pull out rinse off and done....I am not a fan off "bleach white" Skulls. So degreases is good enough for me. More of a natural look.

Yeah beetles work great but who wants that headache. I've hung them in trees, buried, put in plastic bags with a little water etc. Screw that noise. In 3-4 hours total or less you could be completely done and have it on your wall in 24hrs. I don't get the guys that shoot something bring it to the taxi and leave the antlers with them for 1-2 years...or wait 7month for their skull to rot clean.

Catchfish

WKR
Things I’ve learned
1. Not all skulls are the same some just seem to be tougher than others.

2. Make sure to scramble the brain and get that out before any cooking. If not I believe the cooking can drive grease into the skull.

3. I keep my skulls wet and don’t let them dry out before the cooking any more. A lot of times it is months before I get to them. Now I make sure the skulls are bagged and taped around antler bases so the blood can’t dry onto the bone.

4. The peroxide is nice but hard for me to get and it more expensive for me to use I have been using the volume 40 with a whitener added.

Here are some projects from this week, need to get these coated so I can finish another moose.

Attachments

• IMG_8767.jpeg
    IMG_8767.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8758.jpeg
    IMG_8758.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 13
Have had this cow musk ox skull sitting in my greenhouse since March 2022. Was covered in dry zombie flesh, zombie eyes, and mold. I thought it was trash so decided to try steaming it. 3 hours of steam and about 20 minutes with pressure washer and it was all bone and ready for bleach. I’m an official convert believer in the steam method!IMG_7094.jpeg
IMG_7096.jpeg
IMG_7110.jpeg

Geewhiz

WKR
I’m getting the hang of this…
Looks great!

For whatever reason, all the antelope I've done turn out excellent. Bright wight and perfectly clean. Not sure why but they just seam to turn out better and be easier to clean up.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Looks great!

For whatever reason, all the antelope I've done turn out excellent. Bright wight and perfectly clean. Not sure why but they just seam to turn out better and be easier to clean up.
Agreed. Probably helped I didn’t wait 2 weeks for it to get covered in maggots like the elk. 😂

Being able to remove the horns and just drop in the water made it easier too.