Do it all setup

Part one

(Edit: after approval from the 'member', @j43097 was the man behind the work. Any congrats due, are due his way, not mine)

Sorry, but I gotta brag a bit after absolutely having a pack that is a 10/10 for me.

First off, let me describe my hunting style. It can be anything from a 2 hour squirrel hunt, half day pheasant hunt, 2 day hunt/fish/camp, 3 day spot and stalk/still hunt, 5 day+.

I run the gamut, I like to carry what's needed if plans change, while not hauling the kitchen sink (yet).

Started off with a MR sawtooth 45. Most here think 45l is enough for 1 maybe 2 nights. This bag alone, properly packed for overnight temp of 15*, I can get 4 nights easy, at 30 pounds, out the door (not counting gun/bino harness).

However, the pack with all its benefits, does not satiate my style. Yes, it will do each style independently, but 6-7 out 10 star for me.

20221018_194405.jpg
(Not picture in bag is cold weather shells, room for them though)

Enter heading into diy gear, met a member here, shot a pm, 5 pages later, the flu, etc, meet the TBAG.

1668048881570.png

The intent was a smaller cache bag, that could become a day bag, camp bag, pheasant/squirrel/camp bag.

The member who designed a majority from my words, did some testing on it, few adaptations later, I get this from him through his testing:
20221127_112056.jpg20221127_110454.jpg20221127_112740.jpg20221127_110218.jpg

Okay, so the last photo is an exaggeration, but each piece independent of itself and modular to all.

Enter obstacle #1-3: paypal. I'm young, relatively not dumb though my wife would argue opposite. 3 tries using my wife's account, and money is off the the member, bag in transit.

Enter obstacle #4-caught a bug the day before it arrives. Out sick on Christmas day from Mr UPS.

Finally do some unboxing and overall (crappy on my end) glamor shots.
20221213_183210.jpg20221213_183148.jpg20221213_183018.jpg20221213_182828.jpg
As you can see, the member did some amazing design work and sewing. Fits perfect to the MR frame (guide lite).

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
T
Part duex

Now remember, I still want flexibility, modular, adaptable.

With product in my hands, and feeling better, time to start playing with my Christmas present.

My first intent-can the TBAG hold all my sleep gear (20* bag, liner, BA r5 pad, pillow) and be able to drop camp, and get out to stalk.

here we have sleep gear in the TBAG, cold weather and all hunt gear in the sawtooth. I'm a tarp camper, so no tents/poles.

20221213_211043.jpg
20221213_212742.jpg

Beautifully done. But let's keep tinkering.

A few pack, unpack, repack, how about this there, that here..

That resulted in the TBAG holding scout/ day/typical gear that will seldom change. The sawtooth now holds camp-food-coldweather gear and water. I have not measured its weight yet, but this would take me the the gnarly weather category. I'm talking 0*f, blowing snow and sleeping conditions.

However, let's not forget the upland bird bag concept. It's lightweight, minimal, so ehh, let's cinch it down
20221216_085036.jpg20221216_085127.jpg20221216_085108.jpg20221216_085146.jpg

Above you have the TBAG with "birdshelf". Tigh and top loose. The bottom still has adjustment to bellow out further, I did not do that for sake of photos.

I will probably end up putting cold weather pants/gear in the tbag, but currently it houses kill kit, first aid kit, accessories kit, tarp + stakes + cordage, headlamp gloves and hat.

Still functional is the MR meat shelf on the frame.

Perfect, take it for a test hike, very well balanced, but will be better so if I throw some cold weather gear in its bottom of the TBAG to 'loft' the contents. Don't want everything settling.

Next, let's try the sawtooth.

20221216_085217.jpg

Contents include sleep gear, 6 days food, stove and fuel, and cold weather gear, + 3l of water.

Keep in mind, flexibility, drop camp, modularity. And not to press your knuckles against the mouth of your water.

20221216_085417.jpg
20221216_085411.jpg20221216_085425.jpg

At this point, 6 buckles will drop camp, and instantly I can go to day hunt, stalk or scout mode. Without interfering with with how the TBAG is attached, without repacking, or setting up camp, without time lost.

Approximately, we add 3 inches to the depth in this set up. Although this (as pictured) is set up for the worst of worst conditions, remember 0* blowing snow and sleet, this is the worst it'll be.

Meat shelf at any level is still functional. The addition of accessory strap to tie the bottom of the sawtooth to the frame to snug that down would more than likely negate the gain of 3". This is sleep system loft that's bellowing.

That would take total clips to 8. All functional with each piece if need be. At minimal, 3 straps (2 meat shelf straps, 1 strap where the TBAG/ sawtooth strap behind frame with the pockets folded over frame notch)

Provided that, yes we have a 12l shelf bag, a 45l outer bag, for a total of 57l. Of what is utilized, I'd wager I'm at 50l whole, maybe 52. Weight is at the 37# range though I will scale it once accessory strap kit is in and I split cold gear for the loft factor into the TBAG.

With the exclusion of the coldgear (I'll weigh and size it, it's not a puffy, think shtf cold gear, or still hunt/ER sleep gear) for fairer weather, it will in whole occupy 45l bag.

This is an absolute win for me. I can not wait to employ it officially for an upcoming 3 day WT trip. Will more than likely be using snowshoes on the hunt, be weather will dictate that.

TO BE CONTINUED...

• Banned
OP
T
Part tres

Official field review

*UPDATE*

I will try to keep this to 10 photos (I think that's the cap).

Field review, from multiple day hunts, to boat fishing, to trout fishing streams went well.

This is where the pack earns its keep. Small, slender, still can use load shelf, and can hang as well off the standard frame shelf for all MR bags.

pic 1-showing in day bag mode with birdbag. In this case, was squirrel. Note, i hadnt thought a out water, but for the interim on tbis hunt-i utilized the bags bellow for 1l water bottles.

20221217_120546.jpg

pic2- here you can see the bag how it normally runs. I'll slap the sawtooth45 on the meatshelf and run straps to replace the original load shelf strapping to hook to the TBAG.
20230121_121934.jpg

to refrain from being iterative, I'll end the field review here for now.

Last edited:

j43097

FNG
Part duex

Now remember, I still want flexibility, modular, adaptable.

With product in my hands, and feeling better, time to start playing with my Christmas present.

My first intent-can the TBAG hold all my sleep gear (20* bag, liner, BA r5 pad, pillow) and be able to drop camp, and get out to stalk.

here we have sleep gear in the TBAG, cold weather and all hunt gear in the sawtooth. I'm a tarp camper, so no tents/poles.

View attachment 488745
View attachment 488746

Beautifully done. But let's keep tinkering.

A few pack, unpack, repack, how about this there, that here..

That resulted in the TBAG holding scout/ day/typical gear that will seldom change. The sawtooth now holds camp-food-coldweather gear and water. I have not measured its weight yet, but this would take me the the gnarly weather category. I'm talking 0*f, blowing snow and sleeping conditions.

However, let's not forget the upland bird bag concept. It's lightweight, minimal, so ehh, let's cinch it down
View attachment 488751View attachment 488752View attachment 488753View attachment 488756

Above you have the TBAG with "birdshelf". Tigh and top loose. The bottom still has adjustment to bellow out further, I did not do that for sake of photos.

I will probably end up putting cold weather pants/gear in the tbag, but currently it houses kill kit, first aid kit, accessories kit, tarp + stakes + cordage, headlamp gloves and hat.

Still functional is the MR meat shelf on the frame.

Perfect, take it for a test hike, very well balanced, but will be better so if I throw some cold weather gear in its bottom of the TBAG to 'loft' the contents. Don't want everything settling.

Next, let's try the sawtooth.

View attachment 488758

Contents include sleep gear, 6 days food, stove and fuel, and cold weather gear, + 3l of water.

Keep in mind, flexibility, drop camp, modularity. And not to press your knuckles against the mouth of your water.

View attachment 488759
View attachment 488760View attachment 488761

At this point, 6 buckles will drop camp, and instantly I can go to day hunt, stalk or scout mode. Without interfering with with how the TBAG is attached, without repacking, or setting up camp, without time lost.

Approximately, we add 3 inches to the depth in this set up. Although this (as pictured) is set up for the worst of worst conditions, remember 0* blowing snow and sleet, this is the worst it'll be.

Meat shelf at any level is still functional. The addition of accessory strap to tie the bottom of the sawtooth to the frame to snug that down would more than likely negate the gain of 3". This is sleep system loft that's bellowing.

That would take total clips to 8. All functional with each piece if need be. At minimal, 3 straps (2 meat shelf straps, 1 strap where the TBAG/ sawtooth strap behind frame with the pockets folded over frame notch)

Provided that, yes we have a 12l shelf bag, a 45l outer bag, for a total of 57l. Of what is utilized, I'd wager I'm at 50l whole, maybe 52. Weight is at the 37# range though I will scale it once accessory strap kit is in and I split cold gear for the loft factor into the TBAG.

With the exclusion of the coldgear (I'll weigh and size it, it's not a puffy, think shtf cold gear, or still hunt/ER sleep gear) for fairer weather, it will in whole occupy 45l bag.

This is an absolute win for me. I can not wait to employ it officially for an upcoming 3 day WT trip. Will more than likely be using snowshoes on the hunt, be weather will dictate that.

TO BE CONTINUED...
I never even though of using it as a load shelf bag. That is just simply brilliant. Good right up, looking forward to hearing field reports.

• Banned
OP
T
I never even though of using it as a load shelf bag. That is just simply brilliant. Good right up, looking forward to hearing field reports.
it came to me as i was fiddling actually. Ill pick up some accessory straps to go from the backsides bottom attachment point where the birdbag attaches, and hooked to the meat shelfs straps, we were $25 close! hahaha

1671225450685.png
accessory strap that would act as a meat shelf to here:
1671225512562.png

my alternative is using the stock wideset frame straps that hook to the bottom of MR bags from the GLMT frame (where you see i have them running behind the TBAG and clipped in up top when the sawtooth is off)

the drawback to that is standard, they are set to the outside of the frame, and from bottom to top clip, only have 3" of slack +-.
1671225569339.png

provided that, and the loft from the sleeping gear on the sawtooth, ill pick up some accessory straps to go from sawtooth to frame to cinch that loft down, and from TBAG to frame as a meat shelf, but more than likely only TBAG to frame, and ill use the stock straps to go to bag as they were intended, just not utilizing the clips (as stock design was built for)

This is a great project! Nice work between the two of you. I’ve been kicking around the idea of putting together something like this on a Kifaru-style frame for AZ hunting, with so many game seasons overlapping.

OP
T
got out over the weekend to test play with the TBAG, made some changes to attachment points that @j43097 softly discussed prior, sent a text to him and got some shit back about it not being bloody enough hahah..

going to get out with the new strap arrangement and see how that all looks and feels and carries.

will edit placeholders at the culmination of the tests, however, my next seasons arent for a bit, so any big game hunting wont happen before the field reviews are over.
This is a great project! Nice work between the two of you. I’ve been kicking around the idea of putting together something like this on a Kifaru-style frame for AZ hunting, with so many game seasons overlapping.
the initial plan before contacting j, was to run the MR backstrap, get a different bag makers accessory bag, be it SG or SO and piece meal it all together. that said, i am much happier with how this turned out over that way.

OP
T
Ok, quick update, night before I'm heading out for a 4 day population management season. Will be one of the last multi day trips pending a spring bear.

Part 3 will be updated on monday-tuesday next week, but wanted to post a short best case fun trip coming up. Will involve some brook trout fishing, 2 Whitetail rifle deer tags valid for 2 different counties that share 1000acres, a hippy-forager type outdoorsman growing interest into hunting tagging along.

Screenshot_20230118_221651_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230118_221715_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230118_221747_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230118_221847_Chrome.jpg

This is practically your best case scenario. Clear running trout streams embanked by fresh snow conditions, with 2 tags in your pocket for white tail, and 4-5 days enjoyment.

This is everything I'll be wearing/carrying, from underwear up to snowshoes, packed up ready for me in the morning to change into, load my truck up, hit the road for a 3hr trip.

20230118_194434.jpg

See yall out in the field!

prm

WKR
Cool project. What you’re describing is not too unlike how I used the Kifaru Stryker. I have a lightweight (3.6oz) 55L dry bag that is placed on load shelf when I need more volume.

OP
T
Cool project. What you’re describing is not too unlike how I used the Kifaru Stryker. I have a lightweight (3.6oz) 55L dry bag that is placed on load shelf when I need more volume.
I'm thinking after this seasons done and I'm on to fishing, I'll sit down and think about the camp bag portion. Size/shape/features and start scouring the internet.

OP
T
Updates to all posts and parts coming soon.

How it started:
20230120_103723.jpg

Somewhere in the middle
20230120_114725.jpg

How it ended.
20230121_192643.jpg

Tdonat

FNG
I love that bag setup. I’m also mystery ranch guy, been planning some backpack hunts for this coming season is my biggest Hangup is having to carry a fairly lare bag around on my pack after I drop camp. This would be perfect as you could just run a smaller bag and drop it off the back with your camp. Genius.

OP
T
I love that bag setup. I’m also mystery ranch guy, been planning some backpack hunts for this coming season is my biggest Hangup is having to carry a fairly lare bag around on my pack after I drop camp. This would be perfect as you could just run a smaller bag and drop it off the back with your camp. Genius.
Yup, and that was the reasoning for it with great changes from @j43097 so I can't take all the credit.

I'll add to this from the pack update parts or how it went from initial idea-to current use. It didn't sway much from its origins, but enough to note

OP
T
Part Los papa's fritos con QUATRO queso

Hunt review
I'll document the late season hunt I just returned from.

3 total days, a wma that stretched 2 counties with 2 tags, camp ended up being 3.2 miles in. Trout fishing, white tail hunting, and general tomfoolery.

Being anterless only season, doe was the menu. And doe down. Shot was a touch over 250 yards as the crow flies, shot from 830 elevation (glassing the hills from the valley) to 993 where deer was spotted. Quartering away, uphill. Perfect shot, only took out a touch of the straps.

Below is entry side. She DRT'd and slid about 1/4 the way down. Hiked up then slid her the rest the way down
20230121_093047.jpg
SmartSelect_20230123_160210_Gaia GPS.jpg

Quick note on her: she fatty2023012195110736.jpg2023012195110743.jpg2023012195111303.jpg

But we got a really good haul

Anyway, time to load her up. Now, suffice to say, I made a mistake. I was about .7miles from camp, but 1.5 from the truck.

We elected to haul back to camp, and enjoy the night, until we consider what options we're available in town for food, a beer, and the road home.

Then once back to camp...consider the options town had. So screw it, let's test her out.

Preface, to quarter in iowa, it requires the head to be atta head to be attached to a piece, along with some wanton items as well.

So here we are back at camp, packing up, I'm talking the deer-my rifle- my binos. Buddy is taking camp and his stuff.

Pictures from dress location
20230121_121947.jpg
20230121_122612.jpg

Fast forward to mistake #1
2023012195152711.jpg
Deer and day bag stuff (jacket, kill kit, first aid kit). We knew it was heavy, but opted to shut off all talk about that. She ended up weighing 85lbs, add in frame, binos, maybe 10 for the day pack, and 8 for rifle, we're north of 100.

So we commence 3.2 miles out. Through 8# of crusted snow.

Enter mistake #2. Drilled into my head is "always finish strong" from football days a lifetime ago.

So God forbid I slow up at rest spot 1/2. Push all the way through then sit.

Well, forgot about Newton and his laws, rather, enter laws of entropy.

Took a tumble off the fallen tree while "finish strong" mentality, barrel connected with brow.

Only bled the two drops in the left bottom part of the photo. Good to go. Help me up.

2023012195155028.jpg

All said and done, it performs as good as I'd venture any stock bag, more so much better do to its modularity and straps. Can run over, under, through the TBag, has two setups on top, 6each side (if you wanted to go crazy),without being 'strappy'.

Never loosened nor slipped minus the deers head which is my fault beer&my bed that night > care in that moment.

And yes @j43097 ,it's been bloodied since our last texts.

Will update part 5 of mods to it and it's future. It's performance was absolutely on point, to the point I wish we'd have made it a 1.5 day, tall to the top level frame, not the second level on the mr glmt.