Do it all setup

j43097

FNG
I'll document the late season hunt I just returned from.

3 total days, a wma that stretched 2 counties with 2 tags, camp ended up being 3.2 miles in. Trout fishing, white tail hunting, and general tomfoolery.

Being anterless only season, doe was the menu. And doe down. Shot was a touch over 250 yards as the crow flies, shot from 830 elevation (glassing the hills from the valley) to 993 where deer was spotted. Quartering away, uphill. Perfect shot, only took out a touch of the straps.

Below is entry side. She DRT'd and slid about 1/4 the way down. Hiked up then slid her the rest the way down
View attachment 505824
View attachment 505828

Quick note on her: she fattyView attachment 505832View attachment 505833View attachment 505834

But we got a really good haul

Anyway, time to load her up. Now, suffice to say, I made a mistake. I was about .7miles from camp, but 1.5 from the truck.

We elected to haul back to camp, and enjoy the night, until we consider what options we're available in town for food, a beer, and the road home.

Then once back to camp...consider the options town had. So screw it, let's test her out.

Preface, to quarter in iowa, it requires the head to be atta head to be attached to a piece, along with some wanton items as well.

So here we are back at camp, packing up, I'm talking the deer-my rifle- my binos. Buddy is taking camp and his stuff.

Pictures from dress location
View attachment 505840
View attachment 505841

Fast forward to mistake #1
View attachment 505842
Deer and day bag stuff (jacket, kill kit, first aid kit). We knew it was heavy, but opted to shut off all talk about that. She ended up weighing 85lbs, add in frame, binos, maybe 10 for the day pack, and 8 for rifle, we're north of 100.

So we commence 3.2 miles out. Through 8# of crusted snow.

Enter mistake #2. Drilled into my head is "always finish strong" from football days a lifetime ago.

So God forbid I slow up at rest spot 1/2. Push all the way through then sit.

Well, forgot about Newton and his laws, rather, enter laws of entropy.

Took a tumble off the fallen tree while "finish strong" mentality, barrel connected with brow.

Only bled the two drops in the left bottom part of the photo. Good to go. Help me up.

View attachment 505843

All said and done, it performs as good as I'd venture any stock bag, more so much better do to its modularity and straps. Can run over, under, through the TBag, has two setups on top, 6each side (if you wanted to go crazy),without being 'strappy'.

Never loosened nor slipped minus the deers head which is my fault beer&my bed that night > care in that moment.

And yes @j43097 ,it's been bloodied since our last texts.

Will update part 5 of mods to it and it's future. It's performance was absolutely on point, to the point I wish we'd have made it a 1.5 day, tall to the top level frame, not the second level on the mr glmt.
How did you know I was composing that question as I read the whole post. Well done sir looks like a fun trip

OP
T
How did you know I was composing that question as I read the whole post. Well done sir looks like a fun trip
Felt the insult from this far away!

It honestly has come together...you just let me know when the book is closed on the TBAG, so we can start on the...

....New name to come...