do it all tripod?

eoperator

WKR
Currently have promaster 525 looking to get more. It is quite overwhelming looking at all the tripod options out there.
I would like;
-tall enough to glass with binos standing up
-not ball head
-respectable price
-sturdy enough for 77 kowa in wind
-1 peice center section
-packable enough
-light weight enough

Does such a thing exist?

huntnful

WKR
Slik 634. I have one and use it for everything you listed. You aren’t going to use it with a 77 standing up in the wind, but seated on the ground, it’ll be decent. If you aren’t backpacking a ton, maybe even consider the heavier 734. I also use the Outdoormans pan head on top of the tripod.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Currently have promaster 525 looking to get more. It is quite overwhelming looking at all the tripod options out there.
I would like;
-tall enough to glass with binos standing up
-not ball head
-respectable price
-sturdy enough for 77 kowa in wind
-1 peice center section
-packable enough
-light weight enough

Does such a thing exist?
Take a look at the Surui ST-124. Have had pretty good luck so far this year with mine. Sturdy enough to shoot a rifle standing off of, and under 3lbs

6.5x284

WKR
Feisol 3342 is the sturdiest sub 3lb tripod I have found. Super high rating, over 50 lbs, and handles my 24lb match rifle with ease along with a BTX 95 combo. I also run a Slik 634 for ultralight/size convenience but if I only had one I would run my Feisol 3342 first. Slik 634 for me is a sitting only tripod. I glass standing all the time on the Feisol with binos or spotter.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Two Vets Sporting Goods Ruck Tripod. 2.7 lbs, should meet your height requirements handily, packs up very compact, then add a head of your choosing.
Field Optics Research ultralight pan head is very solid for its low weight.

Call me to discuss. We have a lot of options. The Sirui ST 124 and 125 are excellent. The Slik tripods are excellent and the Pro 824CF deal we have now is fantastic

Joel
516-217-1000

Just purchased the 824CF from Cameraland. Weight doesn't seem noticeably heavier than my 634CF but is much sturdier. Great price too.

Here is the link to the Slik Pro 824CF outfits. Use promo code slik21 and save 10% 0n the tripod our tripod with head options. Does not apply to kits with spotters

Firehawk

WKR
I was in the same boat. When I upgraded to the Kowa 774, it was too much for the XC-M 525. I ended up with a SLIK 723 and like it. The SLIK 824 would be even better for stability.

I have a Leofoto LQ-284 that I finally landed on the is awesome. Center column swaps out to just a platform if you want to shoot off a ball head

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
I have a Leofoto LQ-284 that I finally landed on the is awesome. Center column swaps out to just a platform if you want to shoot off a ball head
That is one that I have been eyeing up. what is the actual max height and weight? Online sources seem to have drastically different numbers.

That is one that I have been eyeing up. what is the actual max height and weight? Online sources seem to have drastically different numbers.
Some online sources include the ballhead and they offer it with both the 30mm and 36mm ballhead. Some don't include it so the weight and max height varies. It was confusing when I bought mine too.

I was looking for something short enough to ride on the side of my hunting pack, and something tall enough I could shoot off. At the platform height its just barely tall enough to shoot standing on flat ground, and not tall enough to glass standing up without the center column installed, but I live and hunt in Wyoming. Its silly to stand up and shoot or glass in the normal wind we have.

I'll dig mine out and get a few measurements.

Jimss

WKR
I had a large stack of tripods and counting until I finally bit the bullet and bought a Gitzo Traveler. I've used and abused my Gitzo for over 10 years and it works just like new. Similar to optics, you get what you pay for with a tripod. Even more important than the legs is the head you use. I glass for hours upon hours each day and most of the time it's in wind. As mentioned in the post immediately above wind is definitely a factor. A stable tripod is essential in wind! Having stable and well constructed head and adapters is essential. I have quick releases so I can switch from window mount to tripod in a matter of seconds. I also have adapters for quick releases to switch over to my large lens cameras and camcorders.

I often use my tripod plus spotter similar to shooting sticks in tall brush. I recently was hunting muleys in super tall brush and made a great 200 yard shot over the top of my stable spotting scope in 2 to 6' tall brush. I've lost count over the years of how many times I've shot off my tripod/spotter. It's great having a super stable tripod that collapses relatively short and is super light/compact for transportation.

I went with an outdoorsmans. It does everything I want it to especially with their quick change system. Go from glassing with bino’s to spotter to shooting all on the same system. I shot my last antelope at 340 yds using their shooting fork and standing up.

I got the heights. With the platform it's 47.5 to the flat and 59.5 to the top of the center column fully extended. I believe that means they include the head in their height and weight measurements.

[...] I recently ... made a great 200 yard shot over the top of my stable spotting scope in 2 to 6' tall brush. I've lost count over the years of how many times I've shot off my tripod/spotter. [...]

@Jimss do you just lay your rifle on top of the optic? with big caliber or just the smaller ones? I'd be nervous about recoil messing with the optic...But I've been wanting one set of sticks to use to stabilize all three: the glass, the rifle, and my bad knees. Might have to give that a try.

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
I'm not sure I can climb aboard the rrs/knockoff train, <65" height, separate center column to deal with is a no go for me

Jimss

WKR
Sometimes I just set my rifle on top of my spotter on tripod. Never had a fear of screwing up my spotter. My tripod head has an arm on it. Sometimes I wedge my rifle between the arm on the head and my spotter for extra stability

Im surprised that someone hasn’t come up with a stable rifle attachment on a tripod/spotter. I’m sure it would sell like hot cakes.