Do western hunters long for eastern hunts

ChrisAU

WKR
I'd have a sentimental emotion over whitetail hunting...but I'd get over it. It does make a for a fun January/February down here while the Westerners shovel snow though.

slick

WKR
I think about eastern hunts every single day.

But I currently live in western Oregon, so that’s Montana, Wyoming, Idaho..you get it.

No desire to go east of the Great Plains, love bird hunting back home, and the badlands country of the Dakotas.

I would like to drive down to Texas and whack and stack hogs if anyone has a lead that isn’t $2k

Poser

WKR
I miss squirrel hunting in the East: Big, fat Eastern Grey and fox squirrels and abundance of them.

I also miss hunting Swamp Rabbits which are a huge subspecies of cottontails in the Southeast known for their aquatic propensity.

Eagle

WKR
Grew up in Kentucky, left at 18 and lived in Alabama for 15 years, then moved to Colorado in early 2018. I miss the ease of driving to a piece of public and squirrel hunting, and I missed sitting in a treestand during early November last fall. That said, nothing can compare to the mountains and the variety of big game they offer. I'll be driving back to KY for the rut this November, but a few days in a treestand should have me good for another year after chasing Elk, Mule Deer and Pronghorn.

Gulfgoose

FNG
I think about eastern hunts every single day.

But I currently live in western Oregon, so that’s Montana, Wyoming, Idaho..you get it.

No desire to go east of the Great Plains, love bird hunting back home, and the badlands country of the Dakotas.

I would like to drive down to Texas and whack and stack hogs if anyone has a lead that isn’t $2k
Look up Capt. Jake Huddleston on facebook for hog hunting.

Gulfgoose

FNG
Try asking the same question in January when we're all still hunting and not shoveling snow.

Gobbler36

WKR
I do! I live in Idaho now and when mid November comes around i want nothing more than to be back east at my folks place in a stand with my bow and taking my boys out for some eastern gray squirrels. I love the contrast of hunting styles, i kill myself all year backpack hunting from august to 1st of November and then go home for the holidays and walk to my stand and hunt and then come home to mommas big ol biscuit and gravy breakfast a football game and a nap then head back out for the evening if I don’t sit all day. It’s the perfect way for me to recap the previous year in my mind and think about future hunts and revisiting memories from the year of my boys or wife.

I know western hunting is the keto diet of hunting right now but you eastern guys have a lot to be thankful for in terms of outdoor activities. A guy can pretty much round up table fare year round between crappie/bluegill and cat fishing to small game and big game hunting.

Mt Al

WKR
Yes: South East for hogs, gator and quail. Would love to do that. Just not in the cards right now with other priorities. I've hunted in Texas a few times, had fun but paying access fees to shoot something behind a fence took some of the fun out, was mainly a chance to spend time with friends and would do it again.

Nobody in there right mind from the west would want to come east and be a tree stand sitting badass haha

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
J

JShane

FNG
Wow awesome replies I wasn't expecting. Mt. AL, Gators are a unique hunt, fun for sure. I cant argue with yall having no desire to come east of the plains. Far more big game west than east.

CJF

WKR
Absolutely. I lived in Louisiana for my first 32 years and have been in Colorado for the last 3. I love the hunting here but long for flooded timber duck hunts, hammering eastern turkeys(Merriam gobbles are a joke but I still get excited), and whitetail rut in the hardwoods.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
I don't miss all the mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, spider webs and having sweat run in my eyes while squirrel hunting in the midwest.
I do miss the whitetail rut.

Nope, except the caribou bowhunts for Quebec Labrador (Quebec) and Woodland (Newfoundland) were fun and a good adventure.

After chasing elk/deer around the mountains, I have absolutely no use or desire to sit all day in a tree stand, freezing my a## off and have my hunt be ruined by squirrels.

BuzzH

WKR
I have an invite from a friend to hunt his private land in Illinois and I'm not going to pass on that opportunity...

The East doesn't scare me.