Do you carry a backup release?

Norm555

WKR
Always keep an extra one in my pack. Never lost my release but I'd rather be prepared for it to happen.

Yes, I keep an extra release in my pack.

I once had a release go from functioning perfectly one shot to being unable to hold any string tension on the next shot. That failure happened while practicing in the backyard but could just as easily have happened while I was out in the woods hunting.

TheTone

WKR
Extra in my pack at all times. Had one time when I left my release in camp so I just sat on the side of the road for a half hour or so while my dad went back to camp for it. I’ve also broke a spring in my release a couple times mid day and basically just went straight back to the truck and to town to get it fixed

In my pack 100% of the time. Pretty hard to shoot your bow accurately without one, have had to do that before and it taught me a valuable lesson.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Yes and if its not the same exact release practice with it throughout the season. I will also leave a couple arrows in camp incase I fall on my quiver while out hunting.

Always carry a spare in the pack. Have a bad habit of squeezing the release while hiking and had the spring fail on me in the field. I’ve learned the hard way to have a spare and don’t play with the release 😂.

Extra in the truck.
This.

I don’t so much have a backup as one that is identical to my other release and I’ve been switching which one I use every time I shoot. I labeled them “A” and “B” with a sharpie. This way my backup is always correctly adjusted and ready to go without any change in trigger or anchor point.

BriderLV

FNG
In my pack, but I shot a thumb button and my spare now is an index. Might need to invest in a true spare.

LostArra

WKR
I carry an extra even when I'm hunting a local treestand just in case I drop it when Mr Big shows up.
Same with a tab when hunting recurves.

sterlryu

FNG
Yup, a backup is pretty light and I'm pretty hard on my releases too (lots of banging on trees/rocks by accident).

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I have 2 Stan Perfex's set up identical. Also have the new OnneX which anchors the same as the Perfex's do. I have all 3 with me all the time.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Always an extra in my pack. I have used my “backup” just as much as I used my regular release after forgetting it either in the cup holder of the truck, the kitchen table or the pocket of the coat I had on before I changed.

Wapiti1

WKR
Same exact release in my pack. I used to keep a different spare release in my pack and that cost me a toad of a mule deer one year. So, same release. Always in the pack. Accept no substitutes.

Jeremy

Always have an extra in my pack, you never know if you will need it? Dropped mine out of the tree in the dark once, so rather than climb back down, just used the extra. in my pack

MattB

WKR
Got back from a hunt a few weeks ago where a guy in camp had only 1 release that would not “release” when triggered. The magnet used to reset the hook had gotten gummed up with iron from the soil.