Do you take a fly rod on your hunts?

ChaseH

FNG
Just curious. Does anybody carry a fly rod with them while they’re hunting in case you come across water to fish and have the time or feel like you want to take a minute to fish? Im thinking most will say it would only be extra weight to carry or they’re too focused on the hunt to stop to fish. Just wondering.

Steelhead

FNG
Most of where I hunt elk/mule deer have lakes where I'm better off with my light spinning setup since the trout will either be deeper or the trees come right up to the bank. I also need to learn to slow down so I can take a fly rod and enjoy the fishing LOL. I generally leave it at spike camp for if/when I know I'll be hunting near a lake while I'm roaming around.

Mt Al

WKR
Depends where I'm going and what I'm hunting for. If it's mountain grouse and a stream is nearby: almost always! If it's deer/elk/bear I rarely bring fishing gear.

Where I go a cheap 4 piece fly rod and a very small box of caddis/royal trude flies and a small bottle of floatant are all that are needed. Weight is negligible.

If I knew how to use one I would. But then again, fish are the last thing on my mind in September.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I knew how to use one I would. But then again, fish are the last thing on my mind in September.
Man, September and even the beginning of Oct sometimes is the best trout fishing of the year. I've been known to hit a spot at first light for bowhunting elk, and then be on the river by 10am for 2-3 hours of flyfishing. Then back to a different spot that evening for elk again.....especially in early September.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
From now on out I will have fishing equipment pretty much always. Some really good fishing to be had in September/early October. I've been fortunate to have a few days left over after a successful hunt last few trips.
If nothing else I'll have a Tenklara rod and a few flies.

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
Fishing is a summer activity for me. I have only ever done day trip hunts, no overnighters yet. I if I were to find what looks like a good fishing hole, I’ll just come back another day.

So far, I haven’t found anything that looks like a good fishing hole, though. Most water I come across is small steep mountain streams.

Man, September and even the beginning of Oct sometimes is the best trout fishing of the year. I've been known to hit a spot at first light for bowhunting elk, and then be on the river by 10am for 2-3 hours of flyfishing. Then back to a different spot that evening for elk again.....especially in early September.
Oh September is awesome fishing. But I've got one month to get it done with a bow. 11 months worth of fishing is plenty for me! 😬