Do you take a backup rifle on hunts?

Yaremkiv

FNG
Every time I see a Grouse or Ptarmigan fly off on the way up, I wish I brought a little .410 but that wish quickly disappears at the thought of adding 1 more damn pound to the pack.

Yes. I’m a Southeastern deer and hog hunter and I always bring a back up rifle. For my basic deer hunting my back up rifle has always been my primary rifle in the past. That way I am very familiar with the rifle . Its not unusual for me to swap back and forth every few years. In 40 years I only felt I needed to use my back up once. I dropped my primary scope down on the rocks while I was loading it on my atv for a morning hunt. So I just grabbed my back up. Later that day I shot the rifle that i dropped and turned out it was still holding zero.
I might add I hunt 9 to 23 hrs drive time from home so I‘m not running home for a replacement.

Last edited:

TN VOL

FNG
If I'm going out of state hunting, yes. Deer hunting near home, no. If I'm going small game hunting I'll take a 22 and a shotgun, pick one for the morning and switch at lunchtime.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t take a backup rifle since (now don’t laugh) I’m usually hunting within walking distance of my home. However, if I were to hunt more than an hour or so away from I would be inclined to take a backup.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Never if I’m having to leave it in the truck. Saw someone say “that’s what insurance is for”. Some things can’t be replaced, though I do get that way of thinking, I’m just more sentimental about my rifles to shrug off one of them getting stole. I personally know a few folks who had their stuff stolen from their trucks. One had to watch it happen from his binos while he was up on the mountain cleaning an elk. Insurance was no help to him unfortunately. I also have no faith in insurance to be overly helpful in a situation like that. I did have a situation on a waterfowl hunt where the person I was with somehow managed to grab a case with the wrong gun that has me taking a backup shotgun on those type of hunts. But I don’t leave any firearms in my vehicle if I’m leaving it for a considerable amount of time.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Never if I’m having to leave it in the truck. Saw someone say “that’s what insurance is for”. Some things can’t be replaced, though I do get that way of thinking, I’m just more sentimental about my rifles to shrug off one of them getting stole. I personally know a few folks who had their stuff stolen from their trucks. One had to watch it happen from his binos while he was up on the mountain cleaning an elk. Insurance was no help to him unfortunately. I also have no faith in insurance to be overly helpful in a situation like that. I did have a situation on a waterfowl hunt where the person I was with somehow managed to grab a case with the wrong gun that has me taking a backup shotgun on those type of hunts. But I don’t leave any firearms in my vehicle if I’m leaving it for a considerable amount of time.
Good point about not leaving a firearm in your vehicle.

Jim813

FNG
I do. I was on a hunt with my brother last year where his scope screws worked their way loose after several days of hiking. It effectively lost him the chance at being successful during the rest of his hunt, as he missed the deer he had been hunting for several days. There was not enough time to sight the gun in after re-tightening as he had the next morning to hunt then was headed home.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, I def bring a backup if I'm traveling. If I'm paying for a hunt, and something happens, I don't want to ruin my hunt. I also spend hard earned money that i dont want to be disappointed. Same with all my buddies. We all have backups.

I usually bring a lesser gun as a backup.

Now if I'm close to home on the weekends hunting my normal spots, no, I don't bring a backup.

I'm also the type of guy who needs a backup gun for all my "primary" guns. I do the same with gear, camo, etc.

Last year my all my waterfowl gear and gun was in my brothers truck and a buddy called to go goose hunting after work. So I had to pull out my old Cabelas Camo, my Rem 1187, an old plastic flute goose call and some old 3 inch BB ammo. I made it work! Wouldn't have been able to hunt with out it!

LightFoot

WKR
If I’m not flying, the yes to a second rifle since weight and space is usually not an issue when driving.

If I’m flying, I usually can trust my hunting partner’s rifle if mine has a problem… and vice versa.

>>>——JAKE——>

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I always bring a backup, and a lot of times I'll bring a third short range gun too. For example I will take two rifles, and a shotgun a lot of the time. That's along with always carrying a handgun. This weekend for a relatively short trip I'll be bringing a scoped rifle, a peep sight rifle, and a revolver. I'll also be bringing a bow, but that's just incase I tag out first day, and can go after some deer with a bow.

I would bring a backup rifle if I'm more than 4 hours from the house. Anything less(I.E. a day hunt) and its not a big deal if something went down. It might tank my hunt for the day, but to be quite frank I have low expectations on day hunts anyway.