Do you take a backup rifle on hunts?

I generally do. My primary rifle is a 7 SAUM. Extremely nice rifle I assembled on a custom action, but shit happens… I usually bring my Ruger M77 Mk II in 30-06 as well.

Though I’m OCD about packing, I’m not only worried about my primary rifle/scope breaking, I worry about somehow forgetting my ammo.

The 7 SAUM is more or less a wildcat these days for all intents and purposes. If I forget my handloads, I’m not going to be able to buy more ammo at the local hardware store.

The 30-06 isn’t nearly as nice, but it’s more than capable, and the ammo can be found anywhere. Cheap insurance to save the hunt I figure.

What about you? Second rifle or no?

Mosby

WKR
Normally I don't take a back up rifle on my hunting trips. I do sometimes take two shotguns on bird hunts if I'm going to be gone for a couple weeks.

Depends…If I have a family member or friends house I can keep it at, I do. I won’t leave a spare rifle in the truck while I am in the back country for several days.

7mm-08

WKR
I don't hunt out of state so I never transport a backup firearm. Further, I agree with not leaving a firearm (unless a pistol locked in a small gun safe attached to the truck) in a vehicle where someone can assume I'm hunting and my vehicle might be a target for a break-in. If my packing list hiccups on ammo inclusion, I'll take that hit.

For out of state alone usually unless I'm worried about security leaving it in the truck. That's not common though, almost always hunting with the wife so we'll have two rifles anyway so no spare needed, worst case is she gets a pic of me shooting her pink rifle.

Marble

WKR
We have had rifles fail in the field, from dirt, be dropped, fallen on, parts break, unexplainable issues with accuracy, gun smith's forget to put parts back in, horses roll down the hill, slide off a truck etc. We bring four rifles between my dad and I. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Bring a back up.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Reactions: EdP

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Always bring a backup. And if I have some hesitancy about where I’ll be leaving it I’ll bring something I wouldn't be heartbroken if I lost it.
Usually I worry very little about leaving my stuff unattended in the mountains. I worry way more leaving the truck in parking lot at a Walmart or Safeway for 30mins.

Rich M

WKR
A backup gun is a good idea. I shot my 2019 muley with my backup.

If driving - yes. If flying, I probably wouldn't bring a second rifle.

Consider where you are gonna leave it. Maybe brine a heavy duty cable to secure it?

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t take a rifle, I normally take or hunt with a pistol as primary or back up. Encore in either 454 casull, or 7mm BR.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, I have a vortex on my rifle. No need for a backup.
I have first hand knowledge of 1 mammoth Kodiak brown bear that still walks the earth because of "out of spec" (their vague description when they offered me a new one after I sent mine in) backlash on a Vortex scope.... 😔

That said, when possible I bring a backup

So then you just need to make sure you bring a back up scope ? I know I would.
He was being sarcastic…lol. But I think bringing a backup scope makes more sense than a rifle.

I have had scopes and scope mounts break twice, both times due to horse stuff. One horse slipped and fell on the scabbard side, the other ran off with a half tied on scabbard that smashed into a tree.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
If I’m headed out for a day hunt I only bring one rifle but if it’s any distance from home or multiply day trip I bring an extra rifle. My thoughts if i dropped the rifle hard instead of shooting and confirming zero I can grab the back up and get back hunting