Do you take a backup rifle on hunts?

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm on a hunt solo yes. Typically I have a buddy with me, and his rifle will be the backup.

DaleW

WKR
We usually have a beat up ruger american 30-06 under a truck seat back at the trailhead. Never had to use it and likely never will. And if it did get stolen we'd just tell the local pd and be out a few hundred bucks. I would never leave one of my nice rifles in a vehicle like that though.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Seems like to would be a lot easier to just always leave a half dozen 7 saum rounds in your truck somewhere.

OP
B
Seems like to would be a lot easier to just always leave a half dozen 7 saum rounds in your truck somewhere.
I usually take at least 50 rounds on a hunt and split them between two boxes on purpose.

I might forget one box, but I’m probably not gonna forget both.

All that being said, scopes break, rifles break, etc.

The places I hunt, I feel pretty secure leaving my spare rifle in my truck. Plus I like to leave the spare rifle pretty buried. It would be really ballsy to break open my truck cap, pick my tailgate lock and/or unload a truck bed full of coolers and gear at a busy trailhead to get to my backup rifle.

Bottom line you gotta pick what is a bigger risk to you. I’d rather have the slight risk of replacing a rifle than risk being SOL 2000 miles away from home with a $1k elk tag in my pocket. YMMV.

We always bring 1 for our group of 3 (or 4) guys.
Just as important to bring a good cleaning kit with brushes, etc. to keep at base camp.
I also carry a couple brushes and a bore snake in my day pack just in case.
If you've ever been in the woods & had grit get into you action & it wouldn't close you'll appreciate it.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Always take a back up rifle or scope when hunting Canada or in West. Had a scope go bad (fogged up) in Canada one time. Cost me a Wolf.

CJ19

WKR
i have a beat up to hell rem 700 in 30-06 with a nikon or bushnell scope not sure which goes on rifle hunts with a box of core lokts or some such thing as a back up. It shoots good to 300 yds which is as far as Ive ever tried it. No sentimental value but can get the job done on anything anywhere if needed. 1 back up for the group usually.

xsn10s

WKR
I used to take a backup rifle. I won't anymore. But I do carry a sidearm so that'll have to do.

WKR
I would be more inclined to take a backup bow. I never take a backup rifle.

hunterjmj

WKR
Almost always bring a backup. I had a vortex hst take a crap in 18'. Used my back up the rest of the trip. Didn't have another opportunity that year though. Sent that pos back to get repaired then sold it. Saved up and bought a NF. All my other rifles have simple 3-9x40 leupold scopes. I'll never buy another vortex. It cost me a very nice 4 point that year. 😩

Coltmag45

FNG
It’s not a bad idea I normally only bring one rifle. I don’t like the idea of having to leave a gun somewhere. If you have a safe place to leave the other gun than it’s a great idea.

If I’m driving or will have my own vehicle I always bring a backup gun or bow. Too many things have happened on hunts to not have the security just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I pretty much always have a backup if I’m driving more than 2-3 hours. Have had a rifle and a shotgun fail on me out in the sticks, probably could have fixed both issues one way or another, but just grabbed backup and moved on.