Do you take a fly rod on your hunts?

Fitzwho

WKR
I rarely drive anywhere without a fishing rod of some sort in tow. 80% of the rods I own are travel rods (even my spinning and casting setups). Most of the time it doesn't get used, but better to have it and not use it, than have the time and opportunity to use it and not have it.

sacklunch

WKR
I always pack it in the truck for when I punch a tag early…needless to say, I don’t get much fishing in.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
No, I take fishing trips or hunting trips. If I tag out early I go back home and save some PTO.

ozyclint

WKR
I carry a 4 piece on one place I hunt. It fell off my pack once while hunting goats. It spent about a year in the mountains before I found it. I retraced my steps several times and came up empty. Found it about 50 yards from where I camped that night.

I call that camp 'flyrod camp' now. Even though it's way back in the hills away from the river.

BBob

WKR
I call that camp 'flyrod camp' now. Even though it's way back in the hills away from the river.
That would be a fun thread in itself, camp and hunting spot nicknames. I’m sure we all have them. Mostly so we can speak in public about the honey hole and no one outside of your hunt partner knows where you’re talking about ;)

ozyclint

WKR
Yes it would be another fun thread. There is one spot where a mate and I hunt tahr in NZ. On a ridge there is one spot where you have to walk between 2 house size boulders, through a gap 6' wide. On the other side is where I've killed two bulls. We call it the 'Tahr Gate', after that 90's show Star Gate. Walking through the Tahr gate transports you to another world! ;)

Rich M

WKR
I will have a spinning rod on trips - we don't have freshwater trout around here. Will usually try to catch one or two on trips.

Suera

FNG
Here in Spain in roebuck season I take my fly rod because the good hours are sunrise and sunset for hunt , then in central hours I am fishing until is good hour for hunt

BigSky

WKR
What is the best way to learn how to fly fish?
I highly recommend checking out the Orvis videos on Youtube. They are pretty good, pretty basic and pretty complete. I believe you can gain access to their free flyfishing classes on their website too.
That isn't fly fishing.

It's a joke in case anybody's feelings get hurt.
This may be true (He's referring to another quote about Tenkara). I, like Sniff, prefer a fly rod. However, in the spirit of this thread, there is not much of a better option for fishing to take with you while backpacking and archery hunting than Tenkara. They are light, compact, and effective.

That isn't fly fishing.

The main thing that distinguishes between fly fishing and gear fishing is the color of bobber they use.

BOBBER_BRO_2048x2048.png

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
That isn't fly fishing.

How dare you, Sir!

I know for a fact that it is fly fishing because several of the Amazon reviews stated it very clearly.

CCooper

WKR
What is the best way to learn how to fly fish?
Call the local fly shop and ask for a contact who offers lessons. I was lucky enough to get mentored by a very proficient fly-fisherman and bug master. He has taught a lot of folks and hates trying to teach someone with previous bad habits. He also suggested I study the Orvis videos mentioned by @BigSky above. Warning: It's a deep rabbit hole.

Jfujan

FNG
While carrying an expensive tag i figure time is better spent hunting. Scouting trips are a better time for that.

I normally carry fishing gear in my truck in the event that I'm basecamping near a lake or stream. Come Sept/Oct, I don't have time to fish because I'm too busy chasing elk, resting/sleeping, or eating. Rinse, repeat.