Doc says stay away from the red meat

Vandy321

WKR
Hey buddy!

Bad news, the doc is right, probably best to box up all that elk in the freezer and send it my way for proper...disposal :D

A little background on myself; I've been an acute care (hospital) pharmacist for 10 years. I have access to a reference called UpToDate. It is used by many practitioners as a strong general reference. I can send you pdf's of articles about cholesterol/dietary fat/lifestyle modifications if you so desire. But I would caution using any public forum as a means of research. Just in this thread alone there has been contradictions, false statements, pure conjecture, and anecdotal evidence.

We do not know enough about yourself, your history, your family history, other treatments attempted etc, to properly guide you. That's what a practitioner-patient relationship is all about.

I think the internet is a great source of information. People on here say what they honestly feel and believe. Their anecdotal information is relevant because they’re living a similar lifestyle. When you go see a cardiologist he lumps you in with all the slobs he deals with daily. He can’t speak honestly because he has to worry about liability. Then there’s the obvious big pharma influence on research. Thank god for forums, podcasts, and other internet platforms that brought to light so much relevant information in the past 10 years that would have never been mentioned by the “professionals”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the internet is a great source of information. People on here say what they honestly feel and believe. Their anecdotal information is relevant because they’re living a similar lifestyle. When you go see a cardiologist he lumps you in with all the slobs he deals with daily. He can’t speak honestly because he has to worry about liability. Then there’s the obvious big pharma influence on research. Thank god for forums, podcasts, and other internet platforms that brought to light so much relevant information in the past 10 years that would have never been mentioned by the “professionals”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not at all my experience with the forums or physicians. If your physician is lumping you in with other slobs and not evaluating you specifically, you need a new physician. The internet can be an excellent source of information. And that is what I offered the OP. If you are taking health advice from unknown people on the internet, then good luck and godspeed. Big pharma has definitely played a role in over prescribing, but so has the "fix me now" mentality.

Shrek

WKR
Interesting thread. I was recently tested and had high LDL. High enough my doctor wanted me to go on a statin. He also recommended a Mediterranean diet. I went on the statin and go back in a couple weeks to get tested. I'm eating a lot less red meat now and tracking my overall diet. My doc wasn't too optimistic about getting the LDL lower with diet alone and his take was the statin works even if I get sloppy with the diet.
Many heart doctors feel everyone should be on a statin for preventive reasons.