Does anybody have a good shotgun lubricant for very cold temperatures?

sloper230

FNG
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good lubricant in very cold temperatures? My automatic shotgun action is slow in temperatures under 15 degrees. I have seen Slip2000 EWL test and they look good. Anything else?

What shotgun do you have? I used to use a 11-87(gas operated) and when it was cold the o-ring wouldn't seal very well when it got dry and old especially in the cold. I would put a coat of oil on the o-ring whenever I cleaned it and it helped. There was also two small ports through the barrel under the forearm that would get powder residue and would need cleaned out. I also used a dry graphite type powder for moving parts. For me gas pressure had more to do with cycling than lack of oil.

Breakthrough Battle Born oil has the lowest temp rating (-90 F) for something that is non-toxic (unless you heat it to over 500 degrees).

M-Pro 7 is rated to -85 F.

MilTec or G96 CLP. My buddies and I use both and since we’ve changed over, never have a problem with our bolts failing to cycle. Even after an accidental dip in the water on a 20 degree day when everyone else’s turned into single shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had really good luck with the Frog Lube paste. I just dab it on with a toothpick to anything that may have friction. Wyoming winters get pretty cold and I’ve had zero issue. I don’t use a ton when I apply though.

If I'm not running my weapons dry while hunting, I use Breakfree Battle Born.
Never had a weapon freeze up or fail to fire and it gets fairly cold and humid here in the Northeast.

Back