Dogs and Big Game Hunting

JMDavies

WKR
I've been working with pointing dogs for about 25 years and have had some success with it. Over the past 10 years I've put much more attention towards the western hunting side of my interests. Being a dog lover, I decided to incorporate a dog on the western hunting side. I researched a number of different breeds and ultimately chose the Australian Cattle Dog aka heeler. My job allows me to have him with me everyday so we're getting to know each other and gaining confidence with each others role in the partnership. We've also spent a good amount of time shed hunting and hiking.I feel good about being able to teach him the standard things I think will be needed for a spot and stalk kind of hunt, but wanted to know if anyone else has knowledge or thoughts on other things to consider. Thanks

Attachments

• Dutch 2020.jpg
    Dutch 2020.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 119
OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
I thought it was legal as long as the dog doesn't aid in the hunt and is strictly a companion

Lowg08

WKR
I used to hunt bears, bobcats, coons and hogs in the east. If you are planning spot and stalk with a dog it’s going to be difficult. That dog puts off more scent than you can control. Especially after a day or two. It will cost you more. I have a rat terrier/ fiest I hike with, scout with, shed hunt, squirrel hunt you name it. He has spooked more deer and strikes every bear, coon. You name it. It will effect your outcome. It was my original plan with Elmo and had to scuttle it

Refohnek

FNG
I've been working with pointing dogs for about 25 years and have had some success with it. Over the past 10 years I've put much more attention towards the western hunting side of my interests. Being a dog lover, I decided to incorporate a dog on the western hunting side. I researched a number of different breeds and ultimately chose the Australian Cattle Dog aka heeler. My job allows me to have him with me everyday so we're getting to know each other and gaining confidence with each others role in the partnership. We've also spent a good amount of time shed hunting and hiking.I feel good about being able to teach him the standard things I think will be needed for a spot and stalk kind of hunt, but wanted to know if anyone else has knowledge or thoughts on other things to consider. Thanks
These dogs a very good

OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
Thanks all. To clarify a few things. The dog would go on solo back country hunts, hang with me while glassing and stalk until I get to 400 yards with good wind. I'm not wanting him for finding game in any way. Just a companion and maybe help packing out a backstrap or two.

Lowg08

WKR
They are nice to have as a hiking companion. It is also nice to know when bears are around. I hike ALLOT by myself for several miles.

It's hard to say that a dog is just a companion. They will alert on all kinds of things, trained to or not. If the dog sees something and stops to stare at it that could be considered aiding to the hunt, game animal or not. Going to be the discretion of a game warden in areas where hunting with dogs isn't allowed. I have one that is with me almost 24/7. He works with me almost everyday. The hunting I do out west is something he doesn't come along on.

chasewild

WKR
Thanks all. To clarify a few things. The dog would go on solo back country hunts, hang with me while glassing and stalk until I get to 400 yards with good wind. I'm not wanting him for finding game in any way. Just a companion and maybe help packing out a backstrap or two.

I have an australian shepherd. My wife and I have hunted with him together, but I've never hunted with him solo. I only hunt archery, so its tough.

But my wife has done some rifle hunts where I can handle the dog (leashed, tethered to my pack, etc.).

We did a sheep hunt in 2018. He was tied to my waist belt the whole time. When we got to a point where he could no longer come, I dropped my pack where the wind was good, and if he barked at something weird, the sound wouldn't carry to where we were headed (sheep country....its windy).

THen, when when the stalk was over, I came back with treats and lots of love. We killed a sheep that trip and he packed out his year supply of bones :). My wife recovered her sheep with him by her side and it was her first big game animal -- she was overwhelmed. It may not have been as special without him.

**** I'm not saying EVERY hunt should have a dog. Most hunts should not. All dogs should be leashed at all times.***

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
I take my dog out in the woods for everything, biking. skiing, birding, scouting, everything EXCEPT big game hunting. She smells the elk before I ever could and therefore is illegal here in MT. Leave them at camp otherwise you’re just asking for a problem. There are plenty of other times for them to join, why break the law or risk your quarry seeing additional movement.

Jimss

WKR
I spend a lot of time with my job working around deer and other big game animals. One thing I've noticed is that hikers often walk past deer and they don't care one bit. If they see someone with a dog they are at full attention and often run the opposite direction before they are even in site! A dog is just another predator to them so if they see or smell them they are on super high alert. I always try to up my chances for success and can see how you would be at a big disadvantage with a dog beside you....especially while stalking game! I would also caution you to try to keep the dog's smell off your hunting clothes! If your dog sheds and you have dog hair on your clothes you know the scent is all over your hunting clothes!

OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
I'm confused. How do outfitters with clients get away with it? Most outfitters I've been with have a dog with then.

OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
I have an australian shepherd. My wife and I have hunted with him together, but I've never hunted with him solo. I only hunt archery, so its tough.

But my wife has done some rifle hunts where I can handle the dog (leashed, tethered to my pack, etc.).

We did a sheep hunt in 2018. He was tied to my waist belt the whole time. When we got to a point where he could no longer come, I dropped my pack where the wind was good, and if he barked at something weird, the sound wouldn't carry to where we were headed (sheep country....its windy).

THen, when when the stalk was over, I came back with treats and lots of love. We killed a sheep that trip and he packed out his year supply of bones :). My wife recovered her sheep with him by her side and it was her first big game animal -- she was overwhelmed. It may not have been as special without him.

**** I'm not saying EVERY hunt should have a dog. Most hunts should not. All dogs should be leashed at all times.***
Thank you for the story and tips. Very helpful.

OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
I spend a lot of time with my job working around deer and other big game animals. One thing I've noticed is that hikers often walk past deer and they don't care one bit. If they see someone with a dog they are at full attention and often run the opposite direction before they are even in site! A dog is just another predator to them so if they see or smell them they are on super high alert. I always try to up my chances for success and can see how you would be at a big disadvantage with a dog beside you....especially while stalking game! I would also caution you to try to keep the dog's smell off your hunting clothes! If your dog sheds and you have dog hair on your clothes you know the scent is all over your hunting clothes!
Thanks for reply. All good things to keep in mind.

wytx

WKR
Outfitters keep their dogs in camp or use them for blood trailing I would think.
I had a conversation with our GW and he relayed just what Billy Goat said.
If that dog reacts in any way to game while out with you that is aiding in your hunt and illegal.

Just do it. Great experience. I would MOST CERTAINLY train the dog to blood track. Why wouldn't you. Do should give you 10+ years of serviceability. You have no clue where you will be in 10 years. A great asset to have.

In the Real World...you own a traditional Stock Dog. You'd have to encounter the biggest of Napoleon Complex F+G authorities to attempt to cite you. Where is the burden of Proof? You walking your dog in the National Forest?

Think Washington state (Ive since moved to Idaho were I'm 90% certain blood tracking for game recovery is authorized) states it's illegal to have a dog in the presence of Big Game....yet Forest Grouse is open concurrently. I really don't see how anyone is going to cite, let alone gain prosecution acceptance for you having a stock dog at your side while glassing. Or packing out for that matter.

Think there are a myriad of other violations out there much more egregious.

In the end...if you're a rifle hunter, and have an obedient dog who is well trained and you want to test his skills, such as Down and Stay w. handler out of sight for 5 minutes (a req for my tests)......do it.

OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
Just do it. Great experience. I would MOST CERTAINLY train the dog to blood track. Why wouldn't you. Do should give you 10+ years of serviceability. You have no clue where you will be in 10 years. A great asset to have.

In the Real World...you own a traditional Stock Dog. You'd have to encounter the biggest of Napoleon Complex F+G authorities to attempt to cite you. Where is the burden of Proof? You walking your dog in the National Forest?

Think Washington state (Ive since moved to Idaho were I'm 90% certain blood tracking for game recovery is authorized) states it's illegal to have a dog in the presence of Big Game....yet Forest Grouse is open concurrently. I really don't see how anyone is going to cite, let alone gain prosecution acceptance for you having a stock dog at your side while glassing. Or packing out for that matter.

Think there are a myriad of other violations out there much more egregious.

In the end...if you're a rifle hunter, and have an obedient dog who is well trained and you want to test his skills, such as Down and Stay w. handler out of sight for 5 minutes (a req for my tests)......do it.
Completely agree. Looking forward to both the training and hunt.