Dogs on big game hunts

I take my lab with on rifle hunts. He runs a bit too much to take with on archery hunts.
edecf5e9c847dbda18d478f7b05c1699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneGriz

FNG
We brought our dog with for the first time last year. It’s a must. Especially in a solo hunt. Just seems to make the time pass by better.
0008ea1fdb9b37eafe046d15bb160db1.jpg
559545dec3fb2761c7da338c254dd22b.jpg
da0b581dd17ceae6a217f70954a5fba0.jpg
Is that a GWP, DD or Griff? I have a deposit down for a June GWP. I plan to train this dog to do everything with me, since I tend to travel and hunt solo. I’d love to know more about how your dog behaved on these hunts. Would like to find guys that have been there done that. I’ll plan to drop you a PM.

IMG_7369.jpegIMG_7565.jpegI take at least one of my dogs with me on every big game hunt. One, because they are trained to blood track and two, they are darned good company. Both are DDs.

They stay at heel while I’m still hunting and are expected to remain in a down stay if I have to work ahead for a shot. I’ve had animals with 20 yards of me with a dog at heel. A well behaved dog is not a detriment to big game hunting in any way n

grfox92

WKR
How do new guys constantly find 6 year old threads to comment on?

Anyway, this is Doc. He is a mini Heeler, and in the last year he has been by our side for; my archery bull, 2 rifle mule deer, 1 rifle antelope and 1 cow elk that was killed and one cow that was missed.

He sat at our feet while we called my bull into 25 yards and didn't bark or move. On the rifle kills, his owner walks him back 20 yards and tells him to sit and stay, and he listens.

That dog goes everywhere we go and has done 20+ mile days in the mountains.

He also once ate my left over garlic mashed potatoes and then proceeded to throw them up in our tent in dense grizzly country, causing us to have to re locate our camp in the dark.

He's an awesome dog.
077bf70b50ddace97b4d0fedc76e0b38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
I know the bear hunting with hounds was made illegal by a vote of the people here in Colorado in 92---I believe. The anti's got enough signatures to admend the State's Constitution-----It was put on the election ballot & passed about 75% to 25%.

As far as elk, moose, deer------It's always been illegal, here in Colorado. There was never the need to use dogs to get game. It's big country here & the method used is to glass & stalk. Dogs are primary used in the south where there is thick, dense swamps & the only way to get the game out is by the use of dogs.

Tom-D

FNG
Surprised to see you can’t use dogs to indicate big over there. I use my pointer to find deer/goats here in aus all the time.
Also cool to see a few guys with cattle dogs over there they are unreal dogs

LoneGriz

FNG
How do new guys constantly find 6 year old threads to comment on?

Anyway, this is Doc. He is a mini Heeler, and in the last year he has been by our side for; my archery bull, 2 rifle mule deer, 1 rifle antelope and 1 cow elk that was killed and one cow that was missed.

He sat at our feet while we called my bull into 25 yards and didn't bark or move. On the rifle kills, his owner walks him back 20 yards and tells him to sit and stay, and he listens.

That dog goes everywhere we go and has done 20+ mile days in the mountains.

He also once ate my left over garlic mashed potatoes and then proceeded to throw them up in our tent in dense grizzly country, causing us to have to re locate our camp in the dark.

He's an awesome dog.
077bf70b50ddace97b4d0fedc76e0b38.jpg

Not a newbie, just haven't poked my head in for a long time. I found the thread link researching "taking dogs big game hunting with you", or something along that line.

Yah, I knew the Blue Heeler dogs were great hunt companion dogs, since I have had outfitters bring them along on trip pack-ins/outs. Although, I have a grudge against one Blue Heeler. I was on a remote Gila Wilderness spring turkey hunt. When the outfitter came in to pack us out, his Heeler ate my turkey fans/beards. Grrrrrrr. :( :)

Last edited:

LoneGriz

FNG
View attachment 675273View attachment 675274I take at least one of my dogs with me on every big game hunt. One, because they are trained to blood track and two, they are darned good company. Both are DDs.

They stay at heel while I’m still hunting and are expected to remain in a down stay if I have to work ahead for a shot. I’ve had animals with 20 yards of me with a dog at heel. A well behaved dog is not a detriment to big game hunting in any way n
That's awesome. I was going to guess DD. They just have that LOOK!

I'm struggling to get in my head how they can know you don't want them ranging out in front of you as they would in the upland game bird fields? In this case they need to know somehow that you don't want them hunting, you just want them with you as a quite hunt companion and close to you at all time. Just really curious how you are able to pull that off with a DD type versatile hunting dog with all that hunting drive and energy??

Do you ever leave them at camp or always take the out with you on the hunt? Is there a reason to be concerned about them in a camp (grizzly bear, humans, etc.)?

I also want to take my GWP on spring turkey hunts as a I travel and hunt around the US in the spring. Yah, I can leave them at the truck in the truck camper if I am just going out for a couple hours, but not if I want to stay out all day long. I know there are turkey dogs, that are used in the fall for turkey hunting (where legal). And I know they can be trained to sit still with you under a cover at a tree while calling in a gobbler. So should be a way to keep them always near you when you are traveling into a turkey spot in the dark searching for some gobbles, etc.?

I assume you are going to want a good GPS collar on them at all times until they are a little older and you know they are bullet proof?

This is the first group of guys I have found that actually have dogs they take with them as hunt companions vs. hunting. Pretty cool!!

Decker9

WKR
Many years with a pack dog(s) and big game hunting, my old girls been on more sheep hunts then most folks I think, she’s packed a lot of meat over the last handful of years, and saved my arse twice from grizzly’s. Truly the best partner Iv ever had. The day I took my ram (7th day solo with my dog), I sat her with some gear for my final stock, 4-5 hours later with a ram in my bag, she hadn’t moved at all. She packed out 17lbs of sheep meat that Trip

IMG_2650.jpeg

8 trips, 2km each way, I was thankful for her this day.
IMG_4045.jpeg

When the creeks get deep though, your pack will get heavier lol

IMG_2523.jpeg

Our first harvest together, she aced it.

IMG_2342.jpeg

What I found the best training tool, was stalking every animal I could, especially bears being their so abundant. Key was talking calmly, keeping the dog calm, plus it was good practice for me. I did train on leash, but slowly took it away as she learnt to heel. A walking stick or willow to hold infront helps keep them in check, if she starts to wander, it’s back on the leash, usually 5-10 minutes, and she gets the drift.

I don’t know what it is about bears though, she won’t chase, but she will growl. Other game Iv never seen the same behaviour.

IMG_2229.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8956.jpeg
    IMG_8956.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 12

grfox92

WKR
Surprised to see you can’t use dogs to indicate big over there. I use my pointer to find deer/goats here in aus all the time.
Also cool to see a few guys with cattle dogs over there they are unreal dogs
Australian Cattle Dogs and Australian shepards are the dogs of WY.

That's awesome. I was going to guess DD. They just have that LOOK!

I'm struggling to get in my head how they can know you don't want them ranging out in front of you as they would in the upland game bird fields? In this case they need to know somehow that you don't want them hunting, you just want them with you as a quite hunt companion and close to you at all time. Just really curious how you are able to pull that off with a DD type versatile hunting dog with all that hunting drive and energy??

Do you ever leave them at camp or always take the out with you on the hunt? Is there a reason to be concerned about them in a camp (grizzly bear, humans, etc.)?

I also want to take my GWP on spring turkey hunts as a I travel and hunt around the US in the spring. Yah, I can leave them at the truck in the truck camper if I am just going out for a couple hours, but not if I want to stay out all day long. I know there are turkey dogs, that are used in the fall for turkey hunting (where legal). And I know they can be trained to sit still with you under a cover at a tree while calling in a gobbler. So should be a way to keep them always near you when you are traveling into a turkey spot in the dark searching for some gobbles, etc.?

I assume you are going to want a good GPS collar on them at all times until they are a little older and you know they are bullet proof?

This is the first group of guys I have found that actually have dogs they take with them as hunt companions vs. hunting. Pretty cool!!

I don’t use a GPS collar on them when I’m big game hunting. Just my sport dog training collar. The battery life on it is good enough to get a full week out of if I turn it off at night.

As to the ranging, it’s just training the the dog to know what the task at hand is. I run my dogs through the utility testing within the DD breed. It’s a pretty demanding test with a lot of stuff oriented towards big game hunting. They just know they need to stay at heel, and they are not allowed to range out and search. Every once in a while, I’ll let them spin their wheels, a little bit.

These dogs have quite a bit of mental stability. No whining is tolerated when they’re in a down stay when I’m sneaking ahead. And they still better be there after the shot when I come back to get them.

I don’t ever leave them at camp unless I’m truck camping. If I needed to, I could leave them in their crate in the back of the truck all day. However, for the most part they’re with me all the time.

Last edited:

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
The dog in front is a 55 lb. English Bull Terrier x Boxer, she accompanies me 40 plus days a year, shed hunting, small game etc. not big game. She is alright with sheds, but like the terminator with chukers, she has been nose to nose with bobcat and bear, and bit by rattlesnake. She tells me when dudes are near and comes to heel when I point a weapon.
( I once carried her a couple miles and a couple thousand feet while she was slack as a tater sack from rattlesnake venom, because of this, and other injured dog carry outs that I highly suggest a dog 30 pounds or under for backcountry hiking. My subsequent trail dogs have been chosen with this in mind.) Small size cattle dog flunkies make cheap great trail dog. EBT x heeler = athletic.

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_133952647_HDR~2 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220928_133952647_HDR~2 (1).jpg
    654 KB · Views: 8

Dogone

FNG
I had a great lab named Curly. She was a quiet gentle girl and accompanied me on many deer and moose hunts. She knew wether I had a rifle or a shotgun and acted accordingly. Several times I crawled up on deer and she just stayed with me . Deer sometimes noticed her but never bothered.
One of many great dogs I have had and are long passed.

Last edited:

Pdzoller

WKR
I’ll second the training collar. The second I put the training collar on him he becomes all business. He knows it’s hunting time and has seen several animals meet their end. Closest shot was 45 yards on a bear. He never made a move or sound until I signaled for him to follow.

I’ve trained him with a combination of the vibration, beep/vibration, hand signals and body language.

Vibrate = heel
Beep/vibrate = range ahead about 10 yards
One finger = sit
Whole hand = stay
Me crouching or getting low = him doing the same and staying at heel

LoneGriz

FNG
Many years with a pack dog(s) and big game hunting, my old girls been on more sheep hunts then most folks I think, she’s packed a lot of meat over the last handful of years, and saved my arse twice from grizzly’s. Truly the best partner Iv ever had. The day I took my ram (7th day solo with my dog), I sat her with some gear for my final stock, 4-5 hours later with a ram in my bag, she hadn’t moved at all. She packed out 17lbs of sheep meat that Trip

View attachment 675532

8 trips, 2km each way, I was thankful for her this day.
View attachment 675533

When the creeks get deep though, your pack will get heavier lol

View attachment 675534

Our first harvest together, she aced it.

View attachment 675536

What I found the best training tool, was stalking every animal I could, especially bears being their so abundant. Key was talking calmly, keeping the dog calm, plus it was good practice for me. I did train on leash, but slowly took it away as she learnt to heel. A walking stick or willow to hold infront helps keep them in check, if she starts to wander, it’s back on the leash, usually 5-10 minutes, and she gets the drift.

I don’t know what it is about bears though, she won’t chase, but she will growl. Other game Iv never seen the same behaviour.

View attachment 675537
That's awesome. I wish I had had a dog companion on my sheep hunts. Maybe next time!? It took me a minute to figure out why you were hiking in crocs with your boots dangling from the sheep horns (water crossing!). How do you control you dog in the dark (mornings/evenings)? I was thinking a hands free shoulder leash of some sort would be a good way to go if you needed to use it?

LoneGriz

FNG
I don’t use a GPS collar on them when I’m big game hunting. Just my sport dog training collar. The battery life on it is good enough to get a full week out of if I turn it off at night.

As to the ranging, it’s just training the the dog to know what the task at hand is. I run my dogs through the utility testing within the DD breed. It’s a pretty demanding test with a lot of stuff oriented towards big game hunting. They just know they need to stay at heel, and they are not allowed to range out and search. Every once in a while, I’ll let them spin their wheels, a little bit.

These dogs have quite a bit of mental stability. No whining is tolerated when they’re in a down stay when I’m sneaking ahead. And they still better be there after the shot when I come back to get them.

I don’t ever leave them at camp unless I’m truck camping. If I needed to, I could leave them in their crate in the back of the truck all day. However, for the most part they’re with me all the time.

Where do you live? Are you in Germany? I assume they don't do the DD utility test you mentioned in the US (that isn't the NAVHDA utility test) since we don't hunt big game, forbearers, varmints with our dogs? Would be fun to get my hands on a European DD training book to see how that training is conducted.