Done with KUIU!?

JNDEER

WKR
It’s been two hours since I left the store and am still pissed off. So, I want to know from other like minded folks if I am out of line?

I have used Kuiu since the beginning. I live close and frequent the store often to buy used/return items also new items when I get a discount code. I own a lot of Kuiu products and it is the only manf. I own for hunting clothes (Not that this matters).

last Kuiu sale (month ago or so) I got the 145 zip hoodie in XXL. I usually wear a XL but after a season or two the length shrinks some and my older shirts are too short to wear on backpack hunts. I wanted to try to upsize in hopes of fixing this problem. It came and I took it out the box and threw it in my pack. This morning I get to the trailhead and pull it out to put it on and realize the length on the arms are super long. I wear it up the hill and do my glassing and realize the sleeve is just too long. Take it off and put it in the pack. Come home and decide to run up to the Kuiu store to exchange it and buy a pair of pants.

i am told in the store that they do not accept returns for anything used and only give 60 days for returns on new items!!!…

I have never read their return policy, but based on years of shopping with them (in store) my assumption was returns and exchanges wouldn’t be an issue.(yes after I left the store I read their return policy although the “100% satisfied with your purchase” seems a bit much).

I had the original tiburon shirt RETURNED after hunting with it cause the arms/sleeves were cut too tight, I have a Canada made down jacket with duct tape on it I purchased from them in store (assuming it was a return), purchased used gators were the original owner made a custom front loop to hook into the front string on your boot. I could go on and on about items I have purchased with NOTHING noticeably wrong presumably would have been returns or exchanges.
Do they want me to slice the stitching to make a hole and do a warranty claim (which I will not nor would I lie to them when they asked If I wore it).

Am I out of line for being pissed off KUIU wouldn’t entertain the idea of an exchange or help me any other way possible? Do they want honest folks like myself to lie and cheat the system (warranty claim) in order to achieve what you can get from box stores carrying other top name brands?

Trr15

WKR
I don’t know, man. You admittedly didn’t read the return policy and you wore the item. I think it’s reasonable for them to expect you to try it on at home or in the store to make sure it fits before you use it in the field. Some retailers have very generous return policies. Evidently Kuiu isn’t one of them.

huntnful

WKR
Yeah, you seem a bit extreme honestly. You should have just tried it on at home, realized it didn't fit and then bagged it back up and taken it back. They can't take used sweaty clothes as a return... because it's not a return at that point. It's garbage to them. They can't resell it. I've bought $5k worth of stuff from them and wouldn't expect them to take that shirt back if it were me. They don't owe me anything for my "loyalty" or because I'm a consistent customer. Just wash it and sell it on here if you need to. But it's not a "return" at that point.

Agree with the previous posts.

The only company I can think of that take back used/worn clothes is REI, but that’s built into their business model with the whole garage sale thing.

Once you wear clothes beyond trying them on, they are yours IMHO.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
Yeah, you seem a bit extreme honestly. You should have just tried it on at home, realized it didn't fit and then bagged it back up and taken it back. They can't take used sweaty clothes as a return... because it's not a return at that point. It's garbage to them. They can't resell it. I've bought $5k worth of stuff from them and wouldn't expect them to take that shirt back if it were me. They don't owe me anything for my "loyalty" or because I'm a consistent customer. Just wash it and sell it on here if you need to. But it's not a "return" at that point.

1/3 of my kuiu gear was purchased in store from their (what I would call) return/exchanged rack. They may say it was a warranty but there is nothing wrong with the product. Hell they have 3 racks right now in the back of the store full of these kinds of clothes. Looked over a couple shirts- nothing wrong with them!

I fully accept not reading their policy. Never have or needed to. Did return the original Tiburon (used) no questions asked.
Just looked up FL and they only give 30 days for new unused items to be returned- lol. Guess I could be happy kuiu gives 60 days.

I appreciate the honesty from those who have responded already.

amassi

WKR
Was your 145 used when you bought it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
Was your 145 used when you bought it?

No it was not.

it sounds like many may not know- but Kuiu does a “garage” sale yearly and sales (returned or exchanges or warranty) products in store as well.

Geewhiz

WKR
A lady I work with bought a 900 (supposedly) dollar phone new from at&t I believe. She used for it 2.5 weeks and decided she didn't like it. Nothing wrong with the phone. Then she called in and was very upset when they wouldn't let her return it for a full refund.

If you bought a new car, drove it for 4 days and decided it just wasn't for you, you think they would give you a full refund?

I think its your responsibility to make sure the item is what you want to purchase before you purchase it.

amassi

WKR
No it was not.

it sounds like many may not know- but Kuiu does a “garage” sale yearly and sales (returned or exchanges or warranty) products in store as well.
What pattern is it?

You know who would have exchanged it no questions asked? It rhymes with pitka. I own several Kuiu items and luckily have never had to deal with their CS. But I own a lot more Sitka and their customer service has been hands down the best I’ve ever dealt with. I think that you shouldn’t be too upset because Kuiu does have a return policy and they stand behind it, but there are other companies who go out of their way to make their customers happy.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
A lady I work with bought a 900 (supposedly) dollar phone new from at&t I believe. She used for it 2.5 weeks and decided she didn't like it. Nothing wrong with the phone. Then she called in and was very upset when they wouldn't let her return it for a full refund.

If you bought a new car, drove it for 4 days and decided it just wasn't for you, you think they would give you a full refund?

I think its your responsibility to make sure the item is what you want to purchase before you purchase it.
Thanks for your honest opinion.

if the lady walked into the ATT store and could have purchased a used phone or a new phone, walked out with a new phone and decided it wasn’t what she wanted and tried to return it and they told her they don’t accept returns- would it be logical for her to assume they did seeing as how she could have purchased a used phone to begin with? I think this is what I am getting stuck on.

Thinking a little clearly I believe knowing that they sell used items and my return of the tiburon shirt led me to believe an exchange of something they could look up and see I just purchased it wouldn’t be an issue. Seems to be a poor assumption on my part.

Geewhiz

WKR
Thanks for your honest opinion.

if the lady walked into the ATT store and could have purchased a used phone or a new phone, walked out with a new phone and decided it wasn’t what she wanted and tried to return it and they told her they don’t accept returns- would it be logical for her to assume they did seeing as how she could have purchased a used phone to begin with? I think this is what I am getting stuck on.

Thinking a little clearly I believe knowing that they sell used items and my return of the tiburon shirt led me to believe an exchange of something they could look up and see I just purchased it wouldn’t be an issue. Seems to be a poor assumption on my part.
I can see your reasoning there. I will say that I'm impressed with the way your handling yourself on here and being open minded about both sides rather than getting all defensive about your viewpoint.

not much more to say here that hasn't already been said. I don't think this is KUIU's mess up.

Only addition I'd make is get in the habit of taking something out and trying it on the second it gets in the door to ensure fit (or not). I learned the hard way (not w/ kuiu) returns get harder with age, regardless of the company.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
not much more to say here that hasn't already been said. I don't think this is KUIU's mess up.

Only addition I'd make is get in the habit of taking something out and trying it on the second it gets in the door to ensure fit (or not). I learned the hard way (not w/ kuiu) returns get harder with age, regardless of the company.

thank you.

I pride myself with making mistakes but one time. This will never happen again- that’s for sure. I read companies warranties for those companies I am unfamiliar with. When I purchased my swaros, high end backpacking tents and gear etc.

Maybe I am more mad at myself than kuiu for making all the assumption I made based on my years of experience with purchases from their store and at their garage sale??

thank you.

I pride myself with making mistakes but one time. This will never happen again- that’s for sure. I read companies warranties for those companies I am unfamiliar with. When I purchased my swaros, high end backpacking tents and gear etc.

Maybe I am more mad at myself than kuiu for making all the assumption I made based on my years of experience with purchases from their store and at their garage sale??

I see where you are coming from. Recently, the lady that managed my daughter’s daycare had to move out of state when her husband was PCS’d to another duty station. For two years, all I ever needed to do to get my daughter into daycare on an unscheduled day was call her up and it was never a problem.

The new lady insists on 48 hours notice, which does me no good because I can’t plan staffing shortages that far in advance. If I need to go into work, it’s generally short notice. I asked the lady what had changed, so I can make some sense of it. She didn’t want to get into a battle of wits with me and kept quoting the policy. I read the policy and it says 48 hours.

So, I apologized for misunderstanding their policy and she was thankful for my understanding. I then told her to give me my daughter’s shit and cancelled enrollment because her business no longer suits my needs.