Done with KUIU!?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
thank you.

I pride myself with making mistakes but one time. This will never happen again- that’s for sure. I read companies warranties for those companies I am unfamiliar with. When I purchased my swaros, high end backpacking tents and gear etc.

Maybe I am more mad at myself than kuiu for making all the assumption I made based on my years of experience with purchases from their store and at their garage sale??

That last part sounds pretty spot on, at least for me when something like this happens. It is nice to see you whete honestly looking for feedback.

Kuiu CS was good to me on a warranty claim. I would not be done with them over your experience as I feel their position is reasonable (though I can understand where your expectations came from).

Also, glad you are unwilling to lie to get the result you want. The world is better with honest people.

mproberts

WKR
last Kuiu sale (month ago or so) I got the 145 zip hoodie in XXL. I usually wear a XL but after a season or two the length shrinks some and my older shirts are too short to wear on backpack hunts. I wanted to try to upsize in hopes of fixing this problem.
If you are having this issue you should really look into how you are washing and drying your merino. I've had items for almost a decade and never run into issues like that. Definitely worth looking up how to care for the stuff so that doesn't happen because sizing up to correct one issue is likely causing another issue for you.. ie. the sleeve length.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
That last part sounds pretty spot on, at least for me when something like this happens. It is nice to see you whete honestly looking for feedback.

Kuiu CS was good to me on a warranty claim. I would not be done with them over your experience as I feel their position is reasonable (though I can understand where your expectations came from).

Also, glad you are unwilling to lie to get the result you want. The world is better with honest people.
Thanks.

I knew what this post could get into and I truly wanted everyone’s unbiased honest opinions of the matter. Guess I should have made it more clear as to why I had the assumptions I did having not ever read their return policy to begin with.

I agree with your opinion on the issue.. I have had two warranty issues - summit refuge stove pipe jack and footprint- besides that nada. Besides that their products have served me well for 10+ years - guess in retrospect that does say something.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
If you are having this issue you should really look into how you are washing and drying your merino. I've had items for almost a decade and never run into issues like that. Definitely worth looking up how to care for the stuff so that doesn't happen because sizing up to correct one issue is likely causing another issue for you.. ie. the sleeve length.

i am familiar with their XXL size because I had to get a peleton 118 zip in XXL (Xmas sale) and I purchased (off their return/exchange/warranty) rack a perfectly fine merino 200 hoodie in XXL that’s sleeves are not too long.

I do know and have seen their sizing fit change over the years- (that’s why I didn’t try it on at home and just threw it into my bag) but the sleeves on this shirt are extremely long- lol.

AZ8

WKR
Back when Cabelas was a great store, a person could return anything no questions asked. Guys would buy $400 boots for one weekend hunt, then return them on Monday. I always thought that was bush league tactics from guys abusing the system.

I find no fault in Kuiu having a standard return policy. Its their option.

Think I'll log on tonight and order a couple shirts!! 😁

amassi

WKR
Back when Cabelas was a great store, a person could return anything no questions asked. Guys would buy $400 boots for one weekend hunt, then return them on Monday. I always thought that was bush league tactics from guys abusing the system.

I find no fault in Kuiu having a standard return policy. Its their option.

Think I'll log on tonight and order a couple shirts!!
Same thing when I worked for sportsmans- guys would put alpha glass on a credit card use it for their hunt and return it when they got back. Fishing nets covered in mud and slime, dirty waders with shells still in the loops et el

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ8

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Next time I get kuiu I will pay attention to size before I use it. Bought 2 jackets as my first purchase and experience and they sure run small. Should have returned and got XL but now I waited to long and bite the bullet to keep them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
Same thing when I worked for sportsmans- guys would put alpha glass on a credit card use it for their hunt and return it when they got back. Fishing nets covered in mud and slime, dirty waders with shells still in the loops et el

I agree with these points. There is a fine line a business has to run on because this tactic/behavior is sadly too common.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth, I’ve had great luck with Kuiu’s customer service. And I know, as all you vortex haters love to point out, the best customer service is the kind you don’t need. But Kuiu has always been fast to reply and accommodating when their gear has defects.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider

Cabelas Barton cave use to be great for this as people would buy swaro for nascar races and return at end of weekend. Just wish I had the money to snag a like new for a discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah man. You really have no idea why the used stuff is there.
Could be loaner stuff, stuff they fixed.

Did you ask them to warranty it for fitment 🤣
Or ask if you can exchange it for something on the used rack.
Honestly it could just be how you present yourself. My wife has done multiple customer service based things for me after I was told no.
Something about her custom service experience they talk in secret code or something.

Don't buy firstlite. If you even admit to taking it out of the bag they won't take it back.

I was pretty miffed as I called because I was rite on the size cut off and bought the size he recommended.
But alas its easier to just sell it on here and get what u need.

On a positive note, put it up on Rokslide, I'm sure it will sell.
You already owned up (lesson learned) and you can get your money back for the pants. :)

Seriously, your very honest which is awesome. You took some brutally honest feedback without getting hurt and becoming defensive. Lesson there for everyone.

def90

WKR
Sizing is all over the place these days, I swear the suppliers are compensating for the fattening of America. I'm 6' with a mostly muscular build other than the 50 year old 1 year of Covid lockdown belly that has popped up but in general I swear I used to be able to buy an XL shirt back in the day and the arm length was correct as well as the volume of the torso. These days I buy an XL shirt and it might fit or it might feel like I am wearing a tent. If I buy online I now have to order two sizes to be sure I get the right thing. Some brands I now have to buy a large/tall if they give that option so that I can get a non fat slob torso fit and the proper arm length.

I have had good experience dealing with them, though I’ve never had to actually warranty something that was damaged.

I do find their policy to be pretty extreme, they state that items bought from the outlet don’t aren’t eligible for exchange, even brand new in the packaging, and has no warranty.

It’s tough to dump a bunch of money on something like rain gear, have it leak, and be SOL. Fortunately, I’ve had good luck with their gear so far and have been able to trust it.

I recently bought a Chugach NX jacket from the outlet, size M as most of my other jackets from them are, and then reading reviews found it tends to run small. I emailed them asking to have my order changed to a L, they replied saying it had already been processed but emailed me a return shipping label for an exchange (against their printed policy). Ended up being un-needed as the jacket fits fine.

I wonder if they have had a problem in the store with too many d-bags “renting” gear for a single hunt and gotten stricter with their policy, while online they still take care of things.

REI had the same problem, people would put 300 miles on a pair of shoes and then brag about “exchanging“ them as the policy allowed it. That ended up with my REI brand sleeping pad which was bought under a “no questions asked, lifetime warranty“, blowing a baffle internally (no hole) after 2 years and only 5 trips. Was SOL as it’s one year now. Thanks guys.

Ambush

FNG
I can see where you might think they would help a brother out as they clearly know you from buying face to face alot unlike most who buy via the net. However everytime I've been in that store I always leave disappointed with their CS. Seams they get pissed your not dropping several grand buying a full get up, or have the stones to compare there stuff to others, or they try to get you to give up hunting spots.

I freaking hate the belt loops on all my kuiu pants as they allow the belt to ride up above the top of the pants. Wouldn't even think of trying to take them down there, and complain face to face. I get the middle finger enough at home.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
On a positive note, put it up on Rokslide, I'm sure it will sell.
You already owned up (lesson learned) and you can get your money back for the pants. :)

Seriously, your very honest which is awesome. You took some brutally honest feedback without getting hurt and becoming defensive. Lesson there for everyone.
Thanks. I was raised right and the few on Rokslide who know me will attest to that. Didn’t come on to bash Kuiu but to understand if my frustration was me being stubborn (sadly seems so) or if there was some validity to my frustrating experience.

I truly wanted peoples honest take and yes- I was “in the wrong” by the book. 100% on me. Warranty is in plain English and I never read it- not in 10 years- lol.
It’s that “grey” area where you think you know something (years of buying (returned/exchange/warranty) or whatever they sell on the rack and at the garage sales) that had me believe otherwise.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
If I lived close enough to shop at the Kuiu store, I would never buy any clothes from them without trying them on first. We are all very familiar with their sizing inconsistencies.
Sadly this is a hard fact. I have seen sizes change considerably over the years and was really hoping my last purchases (during covid) would be comparable to this purchase. All on my again for making assumptions- lol.