Dont flipping reep on public land

OP
bradb

bradb

WKR
Sorry pic was on my phone and easier to type on the computer.
Reeping Crawling behind a strutter to sneak up on turkeys. This is my buddy and we have chewed on him about it many times. He learned a hard lesson. In Xray now but should be ok
I guess shot in face at about 50 yards. Limited details yet

slick

WKR
Damn!!

That’s no good. Sorry to hear. Hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Wow....

I hope I'm reading this right, I've seen the postings about hunting behind a decoy here at the 'slide and I've always been against it.
Don't want to crap on a sponsor if they are one, but that technique reads like a recipe for disaster--like the above picture.
I was gobbler hunting in 2010 with a friend and he set off on foot, I kicked back against a tree in high grass. About an hour later I had two toms closing in to me, I wasn't calling. They were both good toms. I looked down at my safety and lifted my gun up ready to shoot and just saw black in the grass where the birds were, I waited for better Identification and was glad I did!
The turkeys were completely gone and my buddy was stalking right where they were!
I would have shot him without assurance of my target, it all happened in mere seconds.

Erno86

FNG
Sorry pic was on my phone and easier to type on the computer.
Reeping Crawling behind a strutter to sneak up on turkeys. This is my buddy and we have chewed on him about it many times. He learned a hard lesson. In Xray now but should be ok
I guess shot in face at about 50 yards. Limited details yet

Was your hunting partner that was involved in hunting accident, wearing eye protection at the time of the incident?

OP
bradb

bradb

WKR
I was at work, he is a buddy. Seldom wears sunglasses so I would say no, but a guess. He is doing good, I am hearing broken nasal cavity and I guess not removing pellets. We will see though. Just txt me saying he is home. Small rural area so I actually know of the person who shot him, family hunts, traps, etc all the time. Not much for exact details yet.
Lucky and dumb. Those 2 usually don't go together

FLAK

WKR
Lucky to be alive and have both eyes. Dang, looks like he took one/two right between the eyes.
Turkey just aint worth it.

It seems like a super cool strategy, but with how the average hunter is there’s no way I’d risk it on public land. You’ve got bubbas out there that’ll shoot first and ask questions later... “oops it was a hen? Damn oh well at least I got a bird”... glad he’s gonna be okay and hopefully he(and the shooter) learned a valuable lesson.

They just made it illegal on public land here this year. Plenty of turkeys here no since taking that kind of chance.