Dutch Oven Recipes?

basket8

FNG
Getting ready to set up turkey camp in a few days (wall tent right off a FS road) and I have a dutch oven taking up storage space thats never been used. I cooked with them as a kid in boy scouts but havent since. Anybody have good recipes for over a camp fire/using coals?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I posted an Elk burgundy recipe in "cooking in the wild" forum. Actually you can use beef for this if you don't have elk. You have not used it for a while so, I would season it first. Give it a good scrubbing with dish soap and hot water (normally a big no, no) then dry it good. give it a light coat of veg oil and put upside down in 350 deg. oven for one hour, turn off oven and let it come down to room temp. before you take it out. After I use mine, I wash it off with hot tap water while it's still hot, and use wooden spoon to break free big particles, then I use veg oil and salt to scrub out anything which may still be on bottom of oven. I use a stainless chainmail for the scrubbing. Then I wipe off any remaining oil and store it with lid on. Salt and veg. oil is all use will need after that for cleaning.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I found a pork chili verde recipe on Utube. Look up "Lets cook that" video. She does it on stove top, I have done it like that, but I also have done it while camping. U can make it ahead of time and just warm it up in dutch oven over camp fire. time saver in camp.

Can't beat a good deep dish pizza in a Dutch oven. Used a Dutch oven for awhile to cook but that's been a few years now. We made cakes, cobblers, pizza, breakfast casseroles, beef roasts, chicken, etc... you name it!

If you have time to tend it, a good pot roast. Sear veggies annd roast. Bake with roast setting on veggies in broth. Just get the broth simmering. 6-7 hours. Veggies will be intact if you seat them off before putting in the broth. Roast will settle in broth It’ll be delicious.

Breakfast. Fry a bottom full of potatoes. In the grease from a pound of sausage. Add onions, and pound of sausage back in. cook for 10 minutes, then add garlic. And cooked potatoes through. This should take only a minute or two. Add a dozen beaten eggs and 6 ounces of your preferred cheese grated.

Anything you cook in an oven. Get a couple thermometers. One for meat probing and one for internal temp. You are good to go.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Hank Shaw's Chilindron
West African Groundnut Stew is as well
Chakalaka is also easy and good if you are into that sort of thing

Drenalin

WKR
This is a good spot for a Mississippi pot roast if you have the time to hang around camp.

Dutch Ovens are also great for cobblers. I’m a simpleton so I just dump in two cans of peaches or cinnamon apples, a box of yellow cake mix (even it out and push some down into the fruit juice), then pour a stick of melted butter over the top. Pretty much need to get all the cake mix wet, and as tempting as it is I would not melt butter in the bottom of the Dutch oven (it tends to cook too fast into a hard and/or chewy crust). I usually do 4-6 coals under it and twice as many on top. Takes 25-35 minutes.

Another vote for pizza, I just use a pre-made dough, or a dough mix, then toppings of choice.

Also a big fan of a breakfast hash, usually potatoes, sausage, eggs as a base and then add onions, peppers, etc depending on what I have. Also good with corned venison.

Cobblers are a good desert and are pretty simple to make, but you need to make sure you get the crust fully cooked, it seems like the center doesn’t want to cook sometimes.

We used to make a cake every night after dinner in a dutch oven. It made camp as pleasant as an evening bath. It served a camp of 14 very well.

HbDane

WKR
Best recipes I find are the winging it type. Veggies, rice/noodles/tater tots/beans whatever, deer, elk, pork, beef, chicken, etc. Beer, water, or broth, herbs and spices....good company and empty bellies.