Dutch Oven Recipes?

Rokbar

WKR
bag of chicken thighs
bottle of catalina dressing
bottle of russian dressing
jar of orange marmalade
onion soup mix packet

put in dutch and cook for an hour. makes pretty good sweet and sour chicken.
may not be in a dutch oven, but i'm trying this recipe this weekend!

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
We get the fire going so we can use the Coals from the fire and cook off to the side of the pit.
Cut some potatoes, carrots, onions and place in the oven. set whole chicken or a bunch of chicken parts dusted with GARLICSALT on the veggies. pour in a half can of beer or a bit of water will work.
Put a scoop of Coals on the ground next to your fire pit and set oven on top, shovel some Coals to the top of the oven. drink the rest of the beer.
When you can smell it it is done.
Nothing fancy but it is good.

Last edited:

This is a staple in the Dutch oven repertoire. Hint #1: use an aluminum liner. Hint #2: use wild boar bulk, spicy (southern style) sausage if you have it. Hint #3: pre-brown hash browns before adding to the oven. You can also substitute tater tots. I could eat this every morning when camping….

Marble

WKR
My favorite thing in the Dutch oven is making a fresh pie. Pick your fruit filling, but the frozen pie crusts and then follow instructions you find on the internet. Makes a great desert and it's good the morning after too.

Also made peach cobbler and chicken pot pie. Pretty easy.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

desert on top and dinner on the bottom!
aluminum is nice for clean up, but you got to use more charcoal.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 25

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this on another forum. Just adapt the recipe for your location. Of course camping makes it taste even better. :) I had to make it at home once just to see if it was as good. :)

Put your large DO on the stove and heat it up. Put in a stick of butter. Add a bag of baby carrots, and about an equal amount of small red or Yukon taters. Chunk up a big onion and throw that in too............. Why not? Big chunks here. Nothing too small. Stir that together as it heats up and sprinkle with a generous amount of Cavender's seasoning. If you can't find Cavender's then use Ms Dash seasoning, or some Italian seasoning and Lawry's etc..... season it up. Rinse off your game hens, I can easily put 3 in my bigger DO's. Season the hens inside and out with Cavender's and place them on top of the vegetables. Cook them until the hens are done. If I'm out in camp then that means I'm putting coals under and on top of the DO. If I am at home then I am putting the DO in the oven or my bbq (indirect heat.) Just cook it like you would a roasted chicken.

This turns out a nice meal where everyone gets their own bird and taters. Serve with plenty of libations and sit by the fire. Enjoy.
Bottle Drink Alcoholic beverage Font Liqueur

Marlin Mark

Last edited:

maxmfs

FNG
Just made the pillsbury yellow cake peach cobbler with the scouts this weekend. It was a huge hit. 3 cans of peaches, sprinkle box of yellow cake mix on top, then cut up a stick of salted butter and lay slices on top. Lay on. and cover with coals, and cook for 60 min. Lots of other recipes out there. Lodge has a good Dutch oven cookbook out there, that you should be able to find a .pdf of.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
Green chile stew. Brown a pound or two of ground beef or elk. Add about 6 diced green chiles. diced potatoes, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and garlic salt. Pinto beans are optional. Serve with grated cheese and a tortilla. Just eye the proportions to taste.

Rokbar

WKR
bag of chicken thighs
bottle of catalina dressing
bottle of russian dressing
jar of orange marmalade
onion soup mix packet

put in dutch and cook for an hour. makes pretty good sweet and sour chicken.
Holy cow that was great!. I cheated with a crock pot and chicken breast. I put it over a bed of rice and it was DELICIOUS! I would like to find a way to make the juice thicker though, like at a chinese restaurant. thanks for the recipe!

Ouzel

FNG
This guys cook books definitely expanded my Dutch oven horizons.
I actually met him 40+ years ago when he was working at Greys Lake Idaho.

Ouzel

Holy cow that was great!. I cheated with a crock pot and chicken breast. I put it over a bed of rice and it was DELICIOUS! I would like to find a way to make the juice thicker though, like at a chinese restaurant. thanks for the recipe!
Adding some cornstarch to the sauce and bringing it to a boil for a second will do what you want.

eric1115

WKR
Cornbread! I love to make venison or elk chili ahead of time, vacuum seal (or ziploc) and freeze. That goes on the camp stove while a standard cornbread box mix goes in the Dutch oven with extra butter lining the pot. Candied jalapenos (aka cowboy candy) and honey to top the cornbread and shredded cheese and sour cream to top the chili, along with a good stout or porter (or two or three) and you have a meal that is amazing at the dining room table but transcendent in mountains after a hard day of hunting.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
jambalaya

Make a roux with flour and oil, andoullie, chicken, holy trinity + pope, chicken stock and add rice.

or

Chicken meatball soup, by ground chicken or preformed chicken meatballs, brown them up, add celery onions carrots, chicken broth and then ditalini noodles at the end.

The longer they both simmer, the more flavor. So you can eat right away, sit by a fire and then take seconds 2 hours later and it will taste even better.