Early/Mid Season Pant with Hip Zips

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Humidity and the daily temperature swings really play into it for me. I tried out the Skre hardscrabble a few years ago and hiking at 80 degrees was their limit. However that’s in the shade with 10% humidity and a breeze so definitely need to consider where you will be using them. Overall the hs are a great mid to late season pant but summer scouting to early season is pushing it. I’d say the same for the kuiu attack.

Another pant similar to the above is the Kings preacher pants. A tad lighter with removable knee pads. I prefer their pocket design (flap vs zipper).

Kuiu tiburons with a zip off layer underneath and a light rain pant to cut the wind while exposed in the alpine was a great setup but I got tired of constant change throughout the day.

Kuiu katana, buddy said they’re a nice compromise with the attack and tiburons but a little loud (might quiet up with use?).

ChrisAU

WKR
What about FORLOH allclima pants. Waterproof knee pads, hip zip vents wirh mesh lining. Great stretch and seem very well built

FORLOH says those are “mid-weight” and “insulated” pants. If they’d make them in a super lightweight hot weather version they’d be killer. As is though they don’t fit the same role as Kutanas/De Havilland Lites etc.

Jbxl20

WKR
FORLOH says those are “mid-weight” and “insulated” pants. If they’d make them in a super lightweight hot weather version they’d be killer. As is though they don’t fit the same role as Kutanas/De Havilland Lites etc.
I was checking this pant out at the forloh booth at TAC this past weekend. I wouldn’t have thought they were insulated. I didn’t spend too much time with them or try them on but they Seemed like a cross between my Sitka ascents and my kuiu attacks.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Clearly the FL Corrugates are well liked, but I can't get over the weight of the material. They just seem too heavy for a warm/hot weather pant. They seem to be more of a competitor to the Kuiu Attacks - a do-it-all pant, but not great at anything.

The FORLOH Allclima seems to fall in the same category - too heavy - with the reinforced knees and butt. Sounds very much like the Sitka Timberlines.

The Tiberons got some love too, but I'm concerned they're a little too light for those chilly mornings.

The lack of fanfare for the SG dH Lites ruled them out so I'll in the market for a pair of Kutana's.

Thanks to all who chimed in! I really appreciate it.

I was checking this pant out at the forloh booth at TAC this past weekend. I wouldn’t have thought they were insulated. I didn’t spend too much time with them or try them on but they Seemed like a cross between my Sitka ascents and my kuiu attacks.

Yes they 315gsm so thicker then attacks but definitely not insulated.

pjh360

FNG
Another vote for the Kutanas. Hemmed to 31 inches. No problem with knee articulation and not too clingy. Wearing mine at work right now.

Superdoo

WKR
I have attacks, tiburons and foundry's.
For those conditions I'll take the Foundry's. The KUIU pants all suffer from a lack of breathability. Even with the vents fully open the cell phone I keep in the cargo pocket is wet when I take it out. This doesn't just happen when I'm hiking the attacks and tiburons are my daily drivers.
I can get the foundry's heated up too, but not anywhere near the attacks. The tiburons are nice for hot days, but I still notice a lack in breathability unless there's a breeze.
At 80 degrees you'll be hot in the foundry's and maybe wish you had the tiburons, but from teens (with a base layer) up to 70 the foundry's are great.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
View attachment 418521
Maybe this will give you the general idea in th corrugate foundry.

I watched a video of the Foundry Corrugates and the material looked quite thick in it, but your picture makes them look pretty lightweight. Not doubt they dump heat faster than the Kuiu since the zipper is longer and there's no mesh. Do you run them with the knee pads all the time or just "as needed"? Do you find the extra bulk in the knees hot/restrictive?

I have attacks, tiburons and foundry's.
For those conditions I'll take the Foundry's. The KUIU pants all suffer from a lack of breathability. Even with the vents fully open the cell phone I keep in the cargo pocket is wet when I take it out. This doesn't just happen when I'm hiking the attacks and tiburons are my daily drivers.
I can get the foundry's heated up too, but not anywhere near the attacks. The tiburons are nice for hot days, but I still notice a lack in breathability unless there's a breeze.
At 80 degrees you'll be hot in the foundry's and maybe wish you had the tiburons, but from teens (with a base layer) up to 70 the foundry's are great.

Might have to try the Corrugate at some point. I found a guy selling Kutana's in my size for $120 so I scooped them up. Should be here in a few days, but the Foundry's have piqued my interest.

Superdoo

WKR
Do you run them with the knee pads all the time or just "as needed"? Do you find the extra bulk in the knees hot/restrictive?
The knee pads are super comfortable, but they are hot. So I only run them when I think they'll be useful.

Lowg08

WKR
The knee pads are super comfortable, but they are hot. So I only run them when I think they'll be useful.
I don’t run the knee pads at all. I keep them just in case but haven’t needed them yet. I have considered sliding them in for saddle hunting but haven’t yet.

Superdoo

WKR
I don’t run the knee pads at all. I keep them just in case but haven’t needed them yet. I have considered sliding them in for saddle hunting but haven’t yet.
I found them particularly useful when there’s snow on the ground. And the obvious rocky and cactus ridden areas.

Lowg08

WKR
I found them particularly useful when there’s snow on the ground. And the obvious rocky and cactus ridden areas.
I had a pair of the older Sitka knee pads wear a blister on my shin one time and I’ve been gun shy. I may give them a chance

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Plus 1 on the Kuiu kutana I’m 5’11 190 and have no problems. The FL corrugate foundry pants I like them as well but they are hotter and make a lot of noise I can’t even use them in the saddle bow hunting cause when I move for a shot they are loud. The kuiu attacks are good as well they are warmer then the kutana but not to bad. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I love both the Tiburons and Attacks. I often wear the Attacks in the cool mornings during early archery elk season and change into the Tiburons in the afternoon when it gets warmer. Both are extremely comfortable and the zips work great.

meddlecho

FNG
Kutana is a great pant, my favorite from Kuiu by far, you can't go wrong.

Have a pair of SG De Havilland Lites coming in tomorrow, excited to check them out. I scored a pair of Helio bottoms at a great price so naturally had get a pair of their pants 😂

I was thinking how easy it would be to take off my zip-off Kilns with the large side zips as well.