Early season elk strategies

Here in Utah we've had a lot of rain all summer so there's water all over. Makes me think that hunting a watering hole won't be too useful. The areas I hunt have too many trees to spot and stalk, and usually too much underbrush to still hunt. Are there any other ways?

Laramie

WKR
Here in Utah we've had a lot of rain all summer so there's water all over. Makes me think that hunting a watering hole won't be too useful. The areas I hunt have too many trees to spot and stalk, and usually too much underbrush to still hunt. Are there any other ways?
I see piles of guys wandering around aimlessly every year. Guessing some of them get lucky and shoot something.

Hint - Elk talk to each other year round, not just during the rut.

OP
G
That was me last weekend. Running around sounding like a herd of elk when I heard a cow call. Got into a little herd but couldn't find a way to get close enough.

Gerbdog

WKR
Location bugle should still get a response from bulls... its just asking where everyone's at... knowing where a bull is (or was) is half the battle anyway. They may not want to fight, but as elknut points out in.... some thing elknut did..... not sure where haha, if you know a bulls around you can go into raking a tree and see if the bull will come in to see what your doing out of curiosity and to size you up for the coming rut. Probably will come in silently in early season.

selbyt31

FNG
Classified Approved
No matter what week of archery I like to get into a spot if possible at night when they are active and locate or just sit and listen. Ive set up really well this way a few times. If that's not a option get in a few hours before first light and do the same. As far as mapping, elk still need water and cover especially with heat early season. Saddles and benches with deep timber and water below..If you miss them at 545am on their way in at least you have a location for a stalk or a patience game for evening.. Move slow and enjoy the day.. Ive bumped elk trying to bust it landmark to landmark.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Remi warren just did a great 40 min podcast on this. I suggest giving it a listen, as it is full of info and strategies.