eastern rifle

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I live hunt in hills of Tennessee. For the past few years primary deer/pig gun has been 300blk pistol. Its great, but looking for more range. I hunt woods and open fields out to 500 yards. I got a 308, but its more a heavy tac type gun.

I am planning on getting something this fall hopefully if the corona zombies don't take over.
so what I want is something around 20" barrel. 6.5 creedmoor(secretly kinda want 300prc, but that's prob more than what I need) reliable action, 1moa, threaded. I got a SUPER HEAVY specwar 762 can. its a great but its heavy. I plan on getting a more modern lighter weight can for this gun eventually, but well see, for now though I want the barrel thick enough to support my specwar without issue. my primary concerned is the barreled action. If the entire gun comes ready to go and does need to upgrades(stock/trigger) then that's great, but if it comes with a crap stock/trigger, there needs to be good after market options.

really want to keep it under 1k for gun.

as of right not Tikka CTR is top of the list,
But I been readying on XBolts, I always heard that most browning rifles were overpriced for quality. But I don t know personally. I know they have no aftermarket stuff.
Savage. Owned one it was ok
Looking seriously at the Ruger American predator its seems good on paper, and its half the prices of the Tikka, but that almost makes me questions the quality.

chefcreed

FNG
A Howa with the 20” Heavy Barrel might be worth a look. Could get the barrel action and a decent aftermarket stock or chassis for under $1000.00 I think.

CTR seems like a good fit. The new non-CTR T3x might do as well. Not sure when they will hit the street.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
CTR seems like a good fit. The new non-CTR T3x might do as well. Not sure when they will hit the street.
Non ctr .?.?. Are you referring to the UPR or something else.?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Non ctr .?.?. Are you referring to the UPR or something else.?

The “new” T3X is called the T3X so a bit confusing. It also goes by roughtech. Announced at SHOT show with a bunch of upgrades. I think street price is around $1000 but they are just now available from what I gather so that may settle down some.

16Bore

WKR
I’d be all over the CTR. Would love that barrel contour and length on a T3 stock.

TauPhi111

WKR
Those are all great suggestions. I my opinion though, to keep the gun more handy, you could go shorter on the barrel. With a 308 or 6.5CM, you could go all the way down to 16" and still be fine to 500 yards.

The Ruger american predator is a good rifle with a short barrel in 308. Not sure if they are making the short barrel in 6.5 yet. My experience with them is that the fore ends can be flimsy though, which had a big effect on being able to group off the bench or prone. The easy fix is to take the action out of the stock and fill the honeycomb in the fore end with a stiff epoxy like devcon or even mill out a channel and epoxy in a stiff rod. Once that was done, the rifle shot 1 moa. Could also get one of several aftermarket stocks available.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I also live in the hills of Tn and hunt similar terrain. I've got a CTR 6.5 with the 20 inch barrel and run a SAS suppressor on it. It is the most accurate gun I've ever had. When I go out west and do alot of packing I leave the suppressor at home and it is fairly lightweight and maneuverable.

chefcreed

FNG
I mentioned the Howa above and own a 24” Howa 6.5 HB which I love. I’m now in similar situation as OP with a suppressor, Rugged Radiant, on the way and looking to get a shorter barrel or new rifle. No doubt the CTR is great but the weight threw me off. Sounds like it’s not too bad though. The Ruger AP looks good for price. Bergara also has a B14 SP short barrel option that looks interesting and gives Remington aftermarket sticks etc as option.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any good options for aftermarket stocks for the tikka that aren't 1000, and really heavy? I thought grayboe was gonna eventually have one, but I've been checking their site for 2 years and nothing.

Spoonbill

WKR
Are there any good options for aftermarket stocks for the tikka that aren't 1000, and really heavy? I thought grayboe was gonna eventually have one, but I've been checking their site for 2 years and nothing.

AG composites makes 2 stocks that are under 600. Also Stocky’s Stocks has some on sale right now, Bell and Carlson also makes one

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
So how bad is the stock on the ctr?
I've read about post that say toss them right away.

So how bad is the stock on the ctr?
I've read about post that say toss them right away.

When folks on the Internet proselytize that you must do "X", take it with a serious grain of salt.

My advice is simple. Go fondle the firearms that interest you. Then make your own decisions as far as which one to get. Take it to the range several times. Then and only then decide if you want to replace any components with aftermarket components.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any good American made rifles really compete with the tikka ctr at that price?
Seems like most the American msde ones are budget guns or $1800+.

Spoonbill

WKR
Are there any good American made rifles really compete with the tikka ctr at that price?
Seems like most the American msde ones are budget guns or $1800+.

Ruger 77’s and the base model Christensen are the only two that I can think of. The Ruger wont be as smooth as a Tikka and they are heavier but you get the advantage of the Ruger being a Mauser style action ( matters to some) I believe the new model 70s are made partly in Portugal. If you want something that is 100% American made, I would get a Ruger 77. The one I own has a good trigger and they can be cleaned up easily (so ive been told).