Easy Beginner Sewing Projects

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for ideas of easy beginner sewing projects that will prepare me for making packs.

A thread on this site inspired me to start by making zippered bags for gear organization. RSBTR sells their ZPP kit, which is basically what I made. However, I bought bulk materials from them so that I can make more things as I develop my skills. I was impressed how well the bags turned out, considering this is my first time to sew anything, and my only instruction was YouTube.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A thread on this site inspired me to start by making zippered bags for gear organization. RSBTR sells their ZPP kit, which is basically what I made. However, I bought bulk materials from them so that I can make more things as I develop my skills. I was impressed how well the bags turned out, considering this is my first time to sew anything, and my only instruction was YouTube.
Ill check it out.

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
I started on ripstop by the roll diy zpp dynema kit. I have now made roll top dry bags and zippered dry bag like the kifaru ultra lite pull outs. Also made a Nalgene bottle holder and pocket both identical to Kifaru’s. Currently going to make a mega tarp

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I started on ripstop by the roll diy zpp dynema kit. I have now made roll top dry bags and zippered dry bag like the kifaru ultra lite pull outs. Also made a Nalgene bottle holder and pocket both identical to Kifaru’s. Currently going to make a mega tarp
What material did you use for the kifaru pullouts?

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I recently sewed up some more Kifaru Pullouts and I used 1.7 oz Mountain XL Hybrid Ripstop Nylon (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collec...n-xl-hybrid-ripstop-nylon?variant=28519708557). I felt it was a good compromise between low-weight and durability. It was easy to sew and I'm really happy with the product. They are not waterproof, but that wasn't a requirement for me. I made a full set of pullouts (S, Med, L, and Super XL) out of 1 yard of material plus zippers and grosgrain. I used Gutermann Tera 40 thread with Schmetz Universal 100/16 needles.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently sewed up some more Kifaru Pullouts and I used 1.7 oz Mountain XL Hybrid Ripstop Nylon (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collec...n-xl-hybrid-ripstop-nylon?variant=28519708557). I felt it was a good compromise between low-weight and durability. It was easy to sew and I'm really happy with the product. They are not waterproof, but that wasn't a requirement for me. I made a full set of pullouts (S, Med, L, and Super XL) out of 1 yard of material plus zippers and grosgrain. I used Gutermann Tera 40 thread with Schmetz Universal 100/16 needles.
Is that the exact fabric Kifaru uses? I want to make the exact same as Kifaru.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, Kifaru uses several fabrics for their pullouts. I believe their lightweight pullouts are made from material trademarked as Exacta-chute or F111 which is a 1.1oz uncoated ripstop nylon (not waterproof). You could find a similar product on ripstopbytheroll.com. They also make pullouts out of 500D cordura and mesh.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Is that the exact fabric Kifaru uses? I want to make the exact same as Kifaru.
Their fabric is actually siliconized, but I believe they claim it to be proprietary. The 1.7 mentioned above would be a great fabric to start with. Fabric like the UL Kifaru stuff is whispy and hard to work with, not what I'd like to learn on.
Start turning your packs and pockets inside out and see how they're made. You'll get a feel for what you'd like to try and accomplish by studying the construction techniques.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, Kifaru uses several fabrics for their pullouts. I believe their lightweight pullouts are made from material trademarked as Exacta-chute or F111 which is a 1.1oz uncoated ripstop nylon (not waterproof). You could find a similar product on ripstopbytheroll.com. They also make pullouts out of 500D cordura and mesh.
Im talking about the ultralight models. Thank you!!

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Their fabric is actually siliconized, but I believe they claim it to be proprietary. The 1.7 mentioned above would be a great fabric to start with. Fabric like the UL Kifaru stuff is whispy and hard to work with, not what I'd like to learn on.
Start turning your packs and pockets inside out and see how they're made. You'll get a feel for what you'd like to try and accomplish by studying the construction techniques.
Thank you. My machine is a brand new Singer Heavy Duty 44s do you think it can handle the slippery materials?

zacattack

WKR

Ordered the same thing last week and mine got delivered today, looks like I have a shelter in plance project.
My goal is to make a floorless shelter eventually

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
What material did you use for the kifaru pullouts?

I used 1.1oz silnylon and1.1 oz silpoly. I used a ykk waterproof zipper and seam sealed all of it. If it was submerged under water it would prolly leak, but for taking a rain or shower it will stay dry inside.

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered the same thing last week and mine got delivered today, looks like I have a shelter in plance project.
My goal is to make a floorless shelter eventually

yeah man, I’m excited to get my material in. I ordered khaki 1.1 oz silnylon to make my mega tarp copy with. Would eventually like to make a pyramid tipi too

zacattack

WKR
yeah man, I’m excited to get my material in. I ordered khaki 1.1 oz silnylon to make my mega tarp copy with. Would eventually like to make a pyramid tipi too

Did you see the tent somebody made here a few years again maybe, that had two zippered ends instead of removable vestibules? That’s what I’d like to do, that way it’s all in one piece.

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with using a heavier fabric like 1.7 would be great to start with. I started with the 1.1 oz silnylon and there was a lot of frustration when I started due to the fabric being extremely hard to work with.

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
Did you see the tent somebody made here a few years again maybe, that had two zippered ends instead of removable vestibules? That’s what I’d like to do, that way it’s all in one piece.
I’ll try to look it up, this is where I got my inspiration to start sewing. WoodBow makes some awesome stuff as well.

zacattack

WKR

I saved it for future reference.

I can’t believe the skill ofsome posters on here. It’s crazy. Definitely inspiration for us less experienced/skilled people.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Like others I started with just a simple tarp. 8 yds of silnylon on sale at rbtr and some nylon webbing and thread and I got after it. Figuring out my wifes sewing machine was more difficult than sewing for me. The tarp is great because you can learn to do long seams and hemming the edges not to mention working with nylon webbing for the the tieoutes. The tarp definitely prepared me for making my tut copycat. Good luck, it kind of gets addictive.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. My machine is a brand new Singer Heavy Duty 44s do you think it can handle the slippery materials?
I’ve got heavier needles for cordura and thinner ones for the UL stuff. Pressed foot tension is key depending on heavy duty vs light weight.