Electrolyte Options

If you look at the numbers on the nutrition label, Emergen-C has significantly more electrolytes than Nuun, Pedialyte, Wilderness Athlete, etc.

Hondo

WKR
I use Liquid IV, Nuun, Emergen-C and Bee Pollen. Not all at once, mind you. That would be weird.

Costco has specials every now and then on Liquid IV and is also the best place I have found to source Emergen-C. I read about Bee Pollen and its many benefits including electrolyte replacement on Section Hiker and have been taking a small vial of granules with me on hikes the last few months to try out and so far it seems to help although I'm reluctant to ditch the Liquid IV when it gets hot.

twall13

WKR
If you look at the numbers on the nutrition label, Emergen-C has significantly more electrolytes than Nuun, Pedialyte, Wilderness Athlete, etc.

I'm not trying to argue, and if you've found what works for you that's awesome, keep at it, but what does it really matter what the label says? Do you actually need the bonus electrolytes Emergen-C provides over the other options? Can your body absorb them and use them? I honestly don't know the answer to those questions and imagine the answer may vary from person to person, I just don't know that what's on the label always correlates to better performance, reduced cramps, etc.

As an example, someone above mentioned salt pills and pointed out that electrolyte loss from sweat is more salt than anything else. That's probably true, but I can also tell you I've had some pretty bad leg cramps after hiking with weight in the mountains for 5 or 6 hours when it was cold, I was moving slow, and not sweating at all. I've had other times trail running in the heat for a couple of hours where I was sweating like crazy but didn't experience any cramps (not using supplements in either scenario). So, for me at least, I don't believe loss of electrolytes is the sole reason I experience cramps from time to time.

Maybe others are different, but for me, it's not all about sweat, and not all about how much the label says it provides. I just want something that helps when I need it and doesn't taste like garbage. There have been a lot of good options listed on this thread, I haven't tried them all, but I've found some that help me so I don't feel the need to keep searching. Hopefully with the options listed, people can try a few things on their own and figure out what works for them based on real world use, not just what they think should work based on labels.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
" So, for me at least, I don't believe loss of electrolytes is the sole reason I experience cramps from time to time."

I can just about guarantee you that it is not the sole reason :) overuse of muscles is at the very top of the heap for cramps

electrolyte replacement (and regular hydration) can help with cramps, but if you're really exerting yourself- cramps are most definitely a possibility

the fact is in the scheme of things, they really know very little about muscle cramping

Tailwind also a great carb source! The caffeine version is like pretty awesome at 1pm and you need a jump start.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

+1 on Tailwind. A great lyte replacement. It mixes clear, has excellent sodium numbers, and is a dual-source carbohydrate for much easier digestion. Con: expensive comparatively.

68Plexi

WKR
Wilderness Athlete for me. I use both Energy and Focus and Hydrate and Recover. They are a good company and run regular sales. If you buy in the carton as opposed to individual packets it works out to $1 per serving. Just yesterday I bought the 50 count (individually packed) HR for $45 on Camofire.

Ive also used NUN tablets and emergenC, but I prefer WA. No spike/crash, just feel replenished. I know some guys will “Superman” the EF & HR into one drink, and I’ve tried it, but at $1 per serving that gets expensive quick haha! To me they are fine on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renagde

WKR
I bought the Propel single serve packets and also the gatorade gatorlyte packets. I threw 2 packets of Propel mix and 2 packets of the Gatorlyte into a Platypus and tried to drink one full flask (2L) per day. It was dirt cheap and worked well for me. I was on the keto diet for my hunt last fall so I this was the combination that I found to have the highest amount of electrolytes per serving. It was also convenient and lightweight since they both come in little packets so I just packed 2 of each in my ziploc food bag per day.

twall13

WKR
I use the food that I take and water.
I remember those days... then I started getting leg cramps out of nowhere a few years ago and started looking for preventative solutions. If you don't get cramps count yourself lucky and keep on with what you are doing.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
If electrolytes are what you are really after, concentrate on the three main ones.....sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Easy and pure, no fillers, no sugar, no fancy labels. Just electrolytes.

Mr. Oats

FNG
Professional Firefighter in Texas

I've used countless NUUN tabs, pedialyte, gatorade and I have tried a few other powdered electrolyte mixes over the years. What has worked best for me and is simple and cheap is LoSalt mixed with regular salt and some pink salt. NUUN tabs are effervescent which means they could pop the lid on a closed bottle causing it to spill over your gear while walking and you need to wait for nuun tab to dissolve before consuming. Pre-maid packs of LoSalt + salt or non-effervescent electrolyte packets can be poured into a bottle and consumed instantly

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
Tailwind. Very mildly sweet. Drinkable all day in hot conditions if you need both electrolytes and energy. They also make caffeinated versions if need a boost.

Wapiti16

FNG
I've always used WA Hydrate & Recover. May try some Tailwind this year.

Has anyone tested the new MTN Ops STM Electrolytes? They're in a powdered state, in a tiny pouch, and you just pour them in your mouth. Could be a good quick option to add to your daily food bags. No need to mix with water.