6mm/243 options

lak2004

WKR
Looking to rebarrel a rifle that is a short action magnum bolt face to a 243 cal.
What are my options and which options can I get headstamped brass/from who?

Was looking at 6saum and holding or for brass in 6um. Thoughts?

My thoughts are this: If you're not attached to the gun, sell it and get an action built with a .308 bolt face. The 6mm Creedmoor will likely make you happier in the long run. The other option is to sell the magnum bolt and get a new one for .308 case heads, assuming they are available.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
My thoughts are this: If you're not attached to the gun, sell it and get an action built with a .308 bolt face. The 6mm Creedmoor will likely make you happier in the long run. The other option is to sell the magnum bolt and get a new one for .308 case heads, assuming they are available.
This might be what I do. I'm not really attached to any gun, though this was my first rifle. Maybe I'll keep it as it is 300wsm and buy another tikka to build.

I genuinely believe you'll be happier going this route. Going to 6.5 PRC would be one thing (due to ammo availability), but if you want a 6mm, a new rifle like a Tikka in 6CM will check all the right boxes and be a helluva lot easier.

SloppyJ

WKR
If I had a short action mag bolt face, I'd be building a 6.5PRC. If you're dead set on 6mm, then I'd get to a standard bolt face and run a 6creed. I don't think you're going to have much luck finding copious amounts of 243wssm but it seems that a 6.5saum might be attainable then you could neck it down if that would work for you. I'd imagine the barrel life on that wouldn't be the greatest.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
If I had a short action mag bolt face, I'd be building a 6.5PRC. If you're dead set on 6mm, then I'd get to a standard bolt face and run a 6creed. I don't think you're going to have much luck finding copious amounts of 243wssm but it seems that a 6.5saum might be attainable then you could neck it down if that would work for you. I'd imagine the barrel life on that wouldn't be the greatest.
I have a 6.5cm I may rebarrel to the 243 and rebarrel the 300wsm to 6.5 prc. I don't need any of it, but sounds fun to shoot lighter cals suppressed long range.

How about 6 prc? Thats probably what im gonna build in 6mm since i already have 6.5 dies and a bunch of ADG brass. Just need a new sizing bushing

B23

WKR
Brass available? I don't want to fire form
ADG 6.5 SAUM brass is a straight one shot neck down to .257 and for a 25 PRC you have lots of options for brass but the two best would be Lapua or ADG 6.5 PRC brass and same deal it's a straight neck down in one pass. Neither requires fire forming.

I'm having a 25 SAUM built, only because I had a bunch of ADG 6.5 SAUM brass, but the 25 PRC is equally as popular if not more and it shoots those same weight bullets only around 50-75fps slower but also uses a little less powder too.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
How about 6 prc? Thats probably what im gonna build in 6mm since i already have 6.5 dies and a bunch of ADG brass. Just need a new sizing bushing
Let's pretend I'm super dumb and have only done basic reloading. Is the parent case just necked down instead of full length sized? Or how am I using 1 cal brass to get to another?
Thanks

sveltri

WKR
I have a 243 coming that i'm gonna Ackely right off the bat and probably rebarrel to 6cm at some point in the future.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Let's pretend I'm super dumb and have only done basic reloading. Is the parent case just necked down instead of full length sized? Or how am I using 1 cal brass to get to another?
Thanks
In wildcat cases that are a straight neck down like a 25-6.5 PRC, it can be done in either a neck size or FL die. The cost effective option would be to buy a 6.5 PRC bushing die set, put a 25 cal bushing in based on brass thickness and desired interference and run new 6.5 PRC brass through the FL die, and replace the seating stem to 25 cal in the seating die. Load, shoot, adjust accordingly for shoulder bump after firing.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
In wildcat cases that are a straight neck down like a 25-6.5 PRC, it can be done in either a neck size or FL die. The cost effective option would be to buy a 6.5 PRC bushing die set, put a 25 cal bushing in based on brass thickness and desired interference and run new 6.5 PRC brass through the FL die, and replace the seating stem to 25 cal in the seating die. Load, shoot, adjust accordingly for shoulder bump after firing.
Thanks for that, makes sense.

Jimbee

WKR
What does a person do about something like this:? It's a 7prc necked down to 6mm. I can't get the whole neck length resized.20231212_045924.jpg

Harvey_NW

WKR
Thanks for that, makes sense.
No problem, doing the same for 25 Creed. Side note - if you end up doing this and you have a barrel spun up with a chamber on the minimum side of tolerances, you may have to actually FL resize the brass and bump the shoulders back from the start.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
No problem, doing the same for 25 Creed. Side note - if you end up doing this and you have a barrel spun up with a chamber on the minimum side of tolerances, you may have to actually FL resize the brass and bump the shoulders back from the start.
I've got some learning to do.....