6mm/243 options

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm just salty about how he handled it, it was a specific pickle indeed.

My first full custom build, went with 7 Max because of the SAUM popularity and the convenience of his components being available. He knew the brass manufacturer made a dimension change (shrunk the web area by .003" if I remember correctly) and blamed it on Gunwerks having a contract with them and causing the change because of clickers in their chambers.

Regardless, instead of notifying customers and keeping them updated, he withheld that info and continued to sell brass that was grossly undersized for his chambers, and told people to fireform with a light load to "harden the case head", and then go forth with loading. Ultimately the web stretched and primer pockets held for maybe 2 firings, and he finally came out and admitted it after I posted a bunch of pictures of dimensions on physical pieces to his facebook page asking questions as to why.

At that point he notified the page he was shrinking the reamers to match brass (B reamer), all components became obsolete. You were left with how many firings you were able to get out of his headstamps, or finding and forming Norma 7 SAUM brass, lol!

I'm not a big wildcatter but if so it will be with components from a known manufacturer and with a tried and true cartridges only. Lesson learned.
Yeah, it started with ADG and went downhill. He could have handled it better for sure.

And, the Sherman advertised pressure is close max, and that could have caused the loose primer pockets too. I have learned that for myself.

You might be able to use the new brass, cause the size alone wouldn’t necessarily do that. Brass and chamber tolerances seem to be bigger in some SAAMI situations, and don’t cause loose primer pockets. The brass web is strong enough except at max pressures.

In the end, wildcats can really bite you in the butt. I dealt with it in 6xc. Sucks for sure.

That would be pretty slick, a gadget to do it all. In the end. Doing it with your rifle is easy enough. And, how much would fireforming 100 prices really do to your throat with titegroup…

This is why, the cost of buying something like Sherman brass that is so worth it to me. Just him having brass and dies makes his wildcats more popular.

Buying brass rhst is three times as expensive really is no big deal if you are going to be a wildcatter.
Apparently it's extremely hard on throats, it killed my first barrel. Basically sand blasting at 4k+ FPS.
That's why I recommend having a separate barrel for that process.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wow, that velocity will torch a throat fast!!! Makes sense to have a different barrel.