Electronic Predator Calls

Jmeicke

FNG
Are you guys a fan of the little electric flappy decoys? There's a foxpro that has one built into the speaker wondering if thats a worthwhile feature. I'm of the mindset that it can't hurt.
Called a lion in with that exact call. Funnily enough it was our backup as our main call ran out of juice

TheGDog

WKR
Are you guys a fan of the little electric flappy decoys? There's a foxpro that has one built into the speaker wondering if thats a worthwhile feature. I'm of the mindset that it can't hurt.

Definitely fan of Motion decoy. Back when I had an entry-level ICOTec GC300, with it's crappy sound quality... that MOJO was the only thing kept the nearby Bobcat that I didn't know was there, engaged and remaining there pondering if it'd try to charge the decoy. At the 45min mark on that set, I rose to my feet, only to realize this Bobcat was 8yds over! He was laying crouched onto the ground beside some rabbit brush, so he didn't see me at first. But he was to my extreme right. Like 90 degrees to my right. So even though I tried to slowly execute the 5 steps it would require to be able to turn and face him and raise my weapon and then fire, mid way thru, he caught my scent, then he saw me in full concealment. I froze. Then he realized I was a thing that was moving when he'd move. Then he finally went into full retreat mode as I tried to throw a .17 HMR at him.

Not sure how much I'm a fan of the decoy being attached to the sound unit though. A lot of time you wanna stuff the sound unit into the branch of a bush to get it off the ground so the sound projects farther. And with how the decoy needs to spin, you just can't have that going while it's in a bush or branch.

In that case you'd want the decoy on the ground, relatively near to the sound unit. Typically I have the sound unit a little farther back than the decoy. Try to do my best to conceal the sound unit in a bush, in a branch, etc... and have it pointing up off the ground so the sound carries far. And then have the Motion decoy placed so that it doesn't get caught up in nearby vegetation/grasses when it spins.

Personally, I like the MOJO 2 Critter, it has 3 shock-corded legs to it, so you don't need to spear it into terrain, as this can sometimes be hard to do depending on terrain types. And for people who have to deal with frozen terrain. Also... with your decoy... you want that visibility of that decoy to be high! Lotta times you're purposefully picking a spot for that decoy to sit at.... where it'll be the most visible from the greatest incoming FOV for the critter, while still stuffing the sound unit someplace where it's not so noticeable.

Gunaddict

FNG
I use mouth calls and a Fox Pro CS24. I have over 400 different sounds on. Way too many. It came with 400 calls. I added Rainshadows cougar sounds and a few others. I use approx 10 to 12 calls for coyotes. 3 different ones for cougars. I use my mouth calls too. I get more satisfaction calling in coyotes with my mouth calls than using the Fox Pro. Also also use a motion decoy except when I target cougars.

TheGDog

WKR
I use mouth calls and a Fox Pro CS24. ... I use approx 10 to 12 calls for coyotes.

Which mouth calls do you dig-on?

On the caller could you please list the 10-12 you use the must whenever you get a spare moment? Appreciate it.

They are very helpful. It draws the coyote's attention and way from you in your stand. Last Sunday, I had one run right up to it and then swerve away, it realized it had been had, run about 50 yards, turned and that's when I took my shot. I mean that coyote ran RIGHT by me.

This is one of those times when "Buy Once, Cry Once" really matters. I went through a few e-callers (Luck Duck, Icotec, Primos) until finally settling on the FoxPro Shockwave. You think that it's only bells and whistles but it is so much more. The features allow you to play the sounds better. The quality of sound, the ease of use (especially under a stress situation), the changing in pitches, etc.etc. I have read more than one comment on how people eventually end up with a Shockwave.

I also have some custom hand callers from Crooked Creek Customs. They make those things into works of art. But I prefer the electronic caller due to it working in almost all kinds of weather, some of the hand callers need to be babied.

Gunaddict

FNG
For TheGdog- I am going to list a few calls I use for coyotes. Calls listed are selected randomly.
JS Super Jack JB Oklahoma Jack
FP Lucky Bird FP Raccoon Distress
FP Dying Jack FP Fawn Distress
FP Pup in Distress FP Coyote and Rabbit
FP Lighting Jack FP Screaming Rabbit
I actually use around 20 different calls on my Foxpro regularly. Just don't want to take the time to list them all.

TheGDog

WKR
For TheGdog- I am going to list a few calls I use for coyotes. Calls listed are selected randomly.
I actually use around 20 different calls on my Foxpro regularly. Just don't want to take the time to list them all.
Thanks, gonna email this to myself. Planning to budget for a shockwave or the X24 in the coming year, but not familiar with what calls FoxPro's have on them... other than what they show on FoxPro FurTakers channel.

isu22andy

WKR
Foxpro sounds I like
Lightening Jack
Dying Jack
DSG Cottontail
Red Fox Distress
Squirrel Distress
Coy Pup Dist 2
Fawn distress plus fawn plus coyote
Baybee Cottontail 2

Tony Tebes sounds

Den Raid - must have
Dog fight

I havent found that the foxpro sounds educate any dogs, we hunt in some the highest pressure of callers in any of the guys out west and I still kill coyotes through March. I have a thermal setup though.

Stalker69

WKR
I have a fox pro ( not sure which model right off) with the decoy attachment that I have never used ( put batteries in it tried it in the house and that’s as far as it’s made it) . I may be interested in getting rid of.

TheGDog

WKR
Question : In this list here... What does "JS" and "JB" refer to? I assume "FP" stands for FoxPro, so what do those others stand for?

TheGDog

WKR
Jmeicke, moving decoys are illegal in Oregon
Some people talk about tying something like a long feather with some thin fishing line... to a tallish thin pole, such that the wind causes it to lazily move around a bit. Would that be allowed per their rules?