Elk .243 or 25-06

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus what 6mm bullet was used ? Some serious damage.. I’ve got a 6CM being built and haven’t made my mind up on what bullet to shoot

Not openly available. However, the 108gr ELD-M, and Berger 95/105/115gr work well, and if more penetration is desired the Hornady 105gr HPBT is solid.

260madman

WKR
It amazes me ho many have encountered bulletproof animals.

Truckloads of animals have fallen to anemic cartridges by today's standards and yet somehow today's choices don't work well enough.

I'm convinced some rare bullet failures occur, however if you test your chosen bullets out of your gun and have what you consider a failure, is it the fault of the equipment?

I have no issue shooting elk with a .25-06 stoked with ammo I understand. I have not used a .243W on elk.
You haven’t come across one of these? Sounds like many in here have.
511E66A9-374B-4FAE-9124-50322D16B63B.jpeg

Bust out the 375 CheyTac. End of thread.

Zappaman

WKR
Not openly available. However, the 108gr ELD-M, and Berger 95/105/115gr work well, and if more penetration is desired the Hornady 105gr HPBT is solid.
I LOVE the 95g Fusion in my 243 on deer around here (Kansas)... got a pile of them from RMR a few years back. Liked them so much I went to the 115g (Gold Dot) in my 6.8 SPC for pigs (super killing bullets!) and my 140g (Gold Dot) in my 260ai- great acccurate bullet (and kinda cheap- like me) ;)

I'm not surprised it's a fav of some of the 223 guys too (I also have a bag of the 62g in these Fusions, but wish my 22-250 ran the 75g version- not enough twist on cold damp days- I tried!).

Also glad to hear the Hornady 105g is liked... darn good bullet as well I think.

Last edited:
For when your little bullets don’t hit exactly where you hoped…

Attachments

• 4BB037AF-FF6E-4D0A-AAC9-92292C8ADFCC.jpeg
    4BB037AF-FF6E-4D0A-AAC9-92292C8ADFCC.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Lol…. Hell no less velocity wouldn’t have helped. Hitting it in the lungs would have. Why was the bullet chosen? Are you serious Clark? Why do a million guys use Core Lokt? Because we grew up with them. Because they are readily available everywhere. Because the results for the most part all across deer and elk country are pretty good….. because the shot placement for the most part is pretty good. When you’re 13 you don’t sit around talking about ballistics and such. Next question….
do you shoot core lokts ? i know they have killed a giant pile of game, like muzzy broadheads.... people buy both because they are the cheapest option on the shelf, which is not the best way to pick the part that actually does the killing.... early on, i killed 9 or 10 roosies with muzzy broadheads, and i was lucky because they killed well for me, but i never got one back i could use again..... i was playing with fire... broken blades and bent ferrules were the normal.

there are so many good projectiles on the market now, better and way more options, and the smaller you go with a projectile, and the larger game you plan to kill with it, there does need to be some consideration in picking the right tool for the job. "because we grew up with them" doesn't make them a good choice.

when you're 13, you need experienced people making those decisions for you, because you're right, all they know is someone hands them a rifle and tells them to shoot that elk there, but putting the blame on the cartridge honestly doesn't make sense... i do assume your 300 ultra in that same scenario would have had a faster outcome, a better shot would have too, and likely a different choice in projectiles.

i just remembered another elk i watched killed with a 338, it didn't go anywhere, but did soak up 4 bullets from 250yds before tipping over... the other one was shot 2 times sub 200yds (5pt roosie) and his buddy shot it a 3rd time high shoulder with a 300wm thinking it was a different bull and dumped it.

the day i watched the bull soak up 4 338's (was a spike roosie) i also stood right behind my buddy as we cut those elk off, and he shot a bull frontal, inside 15yds with his 300wm, which was impressive... you could see the shock go through his body, he reared up and fell over backwards

there is a ton of anecdotal evidence of pretty much anything if that's what a person is seeking

Form, with respect to the bullet "not openly available", do you choose it because it is the best/better tool for the job, so to speak, in your experience? Not asking to divulge what it is, seems like you have chosen a projectile that others cannot?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form, with respect to the bullet "not openly available", do you choose it because it is the best/better tool for the job, so to speak, in your experience? Not asking to divulge what it is, seems like you have chosen a projectile that others cannot?

No, it’s testing. It will be available. And I’m not saying it a the best choice. I would be happy with those I listed.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed multiple bulls with arrows, 270, and 338. I have never wanted a lesser caliber when pulling the trigger on a mature bull. Last year’s bull I shot directly through the front front shoulders (not intentionally) of my biggest 6 point bull with a 210 grain Barnes TTSX .338 win Mag from 300 yards. Recovered the bullet under the opposite hide and the bull didn’t take a step. I can’t imagine having the same outcome with a 243 no matter how heavy billet was used. I’ve killed over 20 antelope with a 243, my favorite antelope caliber. I’ve watched a woman in her 60’s shoot a Shiras moose 7, yes 7 times behind the shoulder with minimal penetration. Elk aren’t much smaller. I’m also a huge Jack O’Conner fan and love my 270’s, but prefer to carry a larger caliber for elk. Stuff happens and sometimes you you’re shot placement isn’t exactly where you want it. Use enough gun. Just my opinion

Lots of info, opinions and experience for sure on the .243/25-06 discussion with respect to elk. I will debate things till the cows come home, and have input, popular or not, on many topics. For me, debate on the forum isn't making it hard on myself or the animals pursued. I hunt elk and deer with a 35 Whelen AI (35 Whelen was developed 100 years ago in 1922), 200 TTSX @2925 fps mv and Leupold 3-9 on top with Underwood shooting sticks for my rest. Harvested many more elk than deer with that chambering. I see the animal, I make a shot from any sane angle including strong quartering either way, I pack out meat. Not hard on me, not hard on the animals, other than they are in the freezer shortly thereafter. 😀.

I’ve killed multiple bulls with arrows, 270, and 338. I have never wanted a lesser caliber when pulling the trigger on a mature bull. Last year’s bull I shot directly through the front front shoulders (not intentionally) of my biggest 6 point bull with a 210 grain Barnes TTSX .338 win Mag from 300 yards. Recovered the bullet under the opposite hide and the bull didn’t take a step. I can’t imagine having the same outcome with a 243 no matter how heavy billet was used. I’ve killed over 20 antelope with a 243, my favorite antelope caliber. I’ve watched a woman in her 60’s shoot a Shiras moose 7, yes 7 times behind the shoulder with minimal penetration. Elk aren’t much smaller. I’m also a huge Jack O’Conner fan and love my 270’s, but prefer to carry a larger caliber for elk. Stuff happens and sometimes you you’re shot placement isn’t exactly where you want it. Use enough gun. Just my opinion
Might as well read this one again. Yep… big animals can take a small bullet like it never happened.

260madman

WKR
Might as well read this one again. Yep… big animals can take a small bullet like it never happened.
Go watch the Eastman’s video with 30 elk kills. A lot of non reaction to larger caliber bullets than 6mm and .257. Take note of poor shot placement and shitty follow up shots, animals lost in recoil, poor bolt manipulation... I was having kittens watching it.

So many factors that is meaningless. How about the common sense factor. If you don’t twitch when I hit you with a missile you’re going to laugh at anything smaller, lighter, and slower at longer distances. Next…..