Elk Decoy

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I am the owner of Poison Arrow Gear decoys. I am trying to develop a product that works for most hunters most of the time.

One concern that has been voiced numerous times about my decoy is the wind. When you have a decoy attached to your bow, wind does become an issue. I have looked at different options to address this.

At this point I wonder if less is better. While calling you try to call enough to convince the elk that you are real but not so much that he figures out that you are not . I am wondering if a decoy will work the same way.

See the attached picture of how I have cut my decoy down to the ears and eyes. It deals with the wind problem also.

I like the input I get off of this forum. It helps me develop a better product.blind forum.jpg

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
How about a decoy that is porous, has small holes.. You'd see them up close at 5 / 8 yards. After that you would most likely not see them.. The hole in the face could be smaller and the holes in the outer parts can be bigger. The wind should pass through it easier.. Less bow drift????

dotman

WKR
Why not just wait a year and see what actual feed back you receive is vs assumed from actual customers/field use? Yes some will always doubt or find an issue with any product. Your decoy is new and I see where it could add that little extra in some situations, not all.

littlebuf

Banned
i still think attaching any thing to your bow that doesn't have to do with your bow and shooting it isn't a great idea. and that sentiment will likely be held by quit a few archers thus making it a hard sell to broad a customer base "most hunters ,most of the time". if it were my R&D i would be focusing on a creative and fast method of deployment from a packed or carried state to a ground decoy that's not on the market yet. what that is i dont know, probably why its referred to as research and development.

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
the more i think about it isnt mounting a decoy on your bow a little counter intuitive to what your trying to accomplish with a decoy any way? really if you think about it all it would do is draw more attention to you and anything you do after a bull is looking right at you and the decoy mounted to you. kinda want a decoy to take there attention away from you and your location right? thats how i use them when predator hunting any way, for the extra edge to be able to move with out attention directed directly at me. food for thought

I've seen your decoy on a buddies bow. Nice product. It's mobile, lightweight, moves with you when you move versus other 2d decoys, gives the bull that visual cue so he doesn't hang up, you can shoot with it on. All 2d decoys have wind problems but your product will work 90% of the time. How many bulls come to the call when the winds howling anyway. Don't like your cut down version, too small. Cool functional product as is. Give it a season before you start making changes.

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input.

I am not making changes to the product, I should have made that clear. I am just showing what a person can do with it.

The decoy is sold like the original but this is an option that the owner can do himself if he wants to.

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
i still think attaching any thing to your bow that doesn't have to do with your bow and shooting it isn't a great idea. and that sentiment will likely be held by quit a few archers thus making it a hard sell to broad a customer base "most hunters ,most of the time". if it were my R&D i would be focusing on a creative and fast method of deployment from a packed or carried state to a ground decoy that's not on the market yet. what that is i dont know, probably why its referred to as research and development.

This decoy has that option. On the nock end of your arrow replace the nock with an insert and field point. You still carry the decoy in your quiver but you can remove it and use your arrow as a stake.

You can also remove your arrow and strap it to a tree.

Ya know what would be nice is something that's lower profile for getting through brush, but with a pull of a cord, would zip up like a flag going up a flag pole, or unlock a plastic flap with a spring that would quickly deploy the decoy so that you woudln't have to walk around with the thing up and getting caught on stuff.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Well I purchased one of your elk decoys and will be taking it up to Colorado in a couple of weeks. I will let you know what me and my buddy think when we get back. It is super light weight and easy to carry in the quiver. I agree with what littlebuf said concerning the elk being drawn actually to the user if you deploy it from your bow attached quiver when attempting to take a shot but our plan of attack on the issue from the get go is to attach it to a tree away from the shooter that will hopefully aide a bull into coming in closer to our set-up if we get the chance. But after mounting it onto an arrow and placing it into the quiver it already has a very low profile. (pretty much just another arrow in the quiver).

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Ya know what would be nice is something that's lower profile for getting through brush, but with a pull of a cord, would zip up like a flag going up a flag pole, or unlock a plastic flap with a spring that would quickly deploy the decoy so that you woudln't have to walk around with the thing up and getting caught on stuff.
I do not recommend walking around with the decoy deployed. It only takes one second to deploy. Other than that it is wrapped up and out of the way.