Elk Hunting with a Backpacking Pack

snel6424

FNG
I am going on my first Elk hunt in 2021, and am on a limited budget. I currently have a Gregory 65L pack. It is definitely not a heavy load hauling pack, and it is a really vivid blue color. I plan on buying a more neutral rain cover to hide most of the blue, but I wont be able to hide the hip belts. I am worried about packing out an elk if we get one. I know we will have to debone the meat in the field, and take more trips with less weight, if we get one.

Has anyone used a non-hunting backpacking pack to haul out an elk?

Steelhead

FNG
Yes, with enough perseverence you can absolutely get it done. I used an old crapped-out REI external-frame pack for years that was finally disintegrating and literally falling apart untill just recently when I upgraded to an actual hunting-specific pack. ...I will have to admit the Exo is mounds more comfortable overall, and especially with a rear-quarter strapped in, however you can cetainly get it done with a standard pack.
Hunting partners still use big Osprey packs from Sportsmans.
Plenty people I know use external frame meat haulers with utility bags strapped to it, as in, not an actual backpack at all... Lots of ways to get it done. Just depends on how much suck your willing to put up with.
But again, you will be waaaaay more comfortable using something you can strap the quarters close to your pack and that has a solid belt on it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Id shop around for a used pack or maybe a mystery ranch marshall pack on sale. The problem with backpacking packs is that they are made to carry 30-40lbs.

OP
S

snel6424

FNG
Id shop around for a used pack or maybe a mystery ranch marshall pack on sale. The problem with backpacking packs is that they are made to carry 30-40lbs.
Yeah thats my concern. I figure with 2 people with boned out meat, its gonna take us at least 4 trips, maybe moer with out packs

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah thats my concern. I figure with 2 people with boned out meat, its gonna take us at least 4 trips, maybe moer with out packs
Doing it with your pack is doable but I'd really try to find another option if it were me. pack outs are a bitch as it is, after using real hunting packs, I just can't imagine doing it again with a backpacking pack. I used a gregory denali for years, I thought it worked well until I tried stuff that was designed for that purpose. Heck, even an Alps or an Eberlestock would probably work better than a backpacking bag.

You can 100% do this. Do not let this keep you from hunting. I would not worry so much about the blue. As others have mentioned, the bigger issue is going to be weight if you do get an elk down. They arent designed to carry much which will mean that a) its not going to be comfortable but who cares and 2) it could break (which this is the biggest issue).

Be mindful of weight and after each pack out I would inspect it a little bit more than if you had a heavier duty pack but do not let this keep you from hunting. As was mentioned also, keep an eye on the classifieds, especially this time of year through the next few months as gear junkies will be dumping great packs. I would make sure you are aware of your measurements however because a pack that is not fitted correctly (even if its a hunting pack) will be miserable, especially with weight. Best of luck.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Will suck for sure but it's totally doable. My buddy packed out most of a boned out mule deer and camp in an Osprey pack over 10 miles. The pack frame definitely bent and he bought a hunting pack immediately after we got home, but it was accomplished. Don't worry about the color; drop the pack if you get close.

idcuda

WKR
You'll be fine with what you've got. Focus on the hunt and enjoy. My 13 year old packed out the whole front shoulders of his elk this year with an osprey Stratos 24. It was one shoulder at a time and less than a mile, but just an example of making due with whatever works. I'm glad we didn't have to do 10 miles, though!

My first real backpack (which I still have) is a Mystery Ranch Glacier which does not have an overload shelf. This pack is quite comfortable and I use it today on simple backpacking trips. But you will find it to be very messy to put meat in...It will take forever to get it clean again.

Use what you got for the first load to the truck. Then have a true hauler pack in the truck to use on subsequent trips for retrieval.

Also, do not get too hung up on colors. Lots of hikers, in their day glow, have no problem seeing and getting relatively close to the same animals that we hunt.

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I packed out (not solo) 3 elk with a Kelty Redwing 3100, orange/gray. It wasn’t super comfortable but not terrible either. The biggest struggle was the lack of ability to reposition the weight to where you want. But it got me out on elk hunts before I had the money to buy something better.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Man I would watch this sites classifieds and pickup a Kifaru duplex gram and you can buy the cargo panel and can haul pretty much anything. It’ll pry cost you 300-ish but it’ll be worth it. Idc what you sell but if part ways with a lot shit to avoid the suffer fest I put myself through my first two years.

fatlander

WKR
The three things that are most important to comfort and enjoying the hunt are: boots, sleeping pad/bag combo, and pack.

If you’re planning to spend money on gear somewhere else, I wouldn’t before I had all those dialed. Everything else is really just small potatoes on a September elk hunt.

Edit: I’d send those binos back you just bought from camera land and get quality used pack frame (kifaru, exo, mystery ranch, stone glacier, seek) with a load sling. You can throw camp in a dry bag until you can afford a bag for the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TomJoad

WKR
Use your Gregory and don't stress about it. As mentioned don't worry about color. I hunt with no camo with good frequency and I can tell you what matters: 1. Wind, 2. Wind, 3. Wind, 4. movement. I've had spike bulls literally almost step on me in no camo, just sitting still with the wind in the right direction. I use a dedicated hunting pack now and they are awesome but I've packed out with regular outdoor packs as well. As for the weight, I'd worry more about your personal training and conditioning than the pack: you have to carry the weight. Finally you don't have to bone out. It's your call but I prefer leaving full bone in quarters, it's less work in the field, less meat wastage, you can properly age them assuming you have a place to hang. It's a great way to go if you can. Those quarters can be strapped to the outside of your 60L, you will have a hard time getting a boned out or full quarter inside your 60.

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Use what you got for the first load to the truck. Then have a true hauler pack in the truck to use on subsequent trips for retrieval.

Also, do not get too hung up on colors. Lots of hikers, in their day glow, have no problem seeing and getting relatively close to the same animals that we hunt.

I had the same concern about color. I have an Arc'teryx Bora 80 which should have no issues with a heavy load, but it is in a dark blue color that seems out of place in the woods. Especially considering that I'm covered up in gore optifade camo otherwise!

I don't need style points, but if I had to choose between a rangefinder and a new kifaru pack for stealth, what should it be?

Cheers!

I’d discourage it unless you absolutely have no other choices. But it sounds like you do so my advice is, don’t do it! You’ll thank me later. I hunted with someone for a few days several years ago who struggled mightily with an Osprey pack. And that was just packing camp in a couple miles. Load lifters are pretty much non existent. I’d go with used if money is the issue. Good quality gear is worth every penny. Non quality gear isn’t worth a dime.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
It will work until a nylon strap snaps from 80+ pounds in your bag. Then it will start to sink in how stupid you are 3 miles away from the truck looking for enough p cord in your pack to jerry rig it back together. But hey adventures are fun!!