Elk killed in burns - pics?

cnelk

WKR
I’m going to be hunting a unit this fall that has a big recent burn.

Looking for pics of elk that were killed in a burn.

Thanks in advance!

I’m going to be hunting a unit this fall that has a big recent burn.

Looking for pics of elk that were killed in a burn.

Thanks in advance!
Found this bad boy in a burn

Attachments

• 20190224_114909.jpg
    20190224_114909.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 256
Just as suspected.

Either hunting burns is over-rated, or its so good nobody is fessing up

Both are true and in play here I'd say. Cnek, you are one of the most knowledgeable and accomplished hunters on here. You know how to hunt elk and burns just make them easier to see and sometimes more concentrated. Nowadays with every online person trying to make money off hunting saying burns are great places to hunt, especially Randy Newberg who says it constantly, burns are nonresident hunter magnets. But if there's a burn that burned good, meaning not too old and regrown or scorched earth from a super hot fire that's common these days, and hunters havent been hitting it hard, then the hunting likely will be good. You are just going to have to find out where the good burns are and where there aren't zillions of hunters from the Midwest. Sometimes unburned areas can be better in a unit with a burn just because people aren't in there, which is the case in a new unit I'm planning to hunt this year. The biologists tell people the animals are more dense in a couple big burns on one side of the unit and there's good habitat on the other side that I know people don't hunt much.

As far as pictures, Id look at the contests on here. A fair number of burn pictures.

Im thinking burns are the place to be [and wilderness] :)

Oh my gosh, cnelk did you know the West has these massive wilderness areas where deer and elk graze peacefully and get massive and no one really goes in there to hunt. In wilderness areas with a burn the elk just lie down as you approach to be mercy killed.

ElkNut1

WKR
These were from the last 2 years, they're in the burn or within a 100 yards of a burn but died in the green timber. Where burns meet the green is where it's at! Some burns are recent others were a few years old where that nasty undergrowth appears!

ElkNut/PaulIMG_0920.JPGIMG_0200.JPG3 Vets 2018.JPEGIMG_0229.JPEGClayton 2017 Archery Bull.JPG

The edge of a burn is an incredible place for an elk. But elk like transition features of all kinds but edges of burns are a great spot to locate elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone doesn't think hunting a burn is a good idea I don't know what to say.....not saying there aren't elk in non burned areas obviously but in my experience alot more concentrated in burns. It's not even close IMO

nphunter

WKR
Been into a lot of elk in some 20 year old burns. They are a nightmare to traverse through and being in there during a big wind storm will put the fear of god in you once trees start smacking the ground!!

Would love to have a big burn around here but there aren’t any more than a couple hundred acres that have burned anytime recently.

ElkNut1

WKR
We do take a few elk in the burns but we take quite a few more outside the burns as well. Personally I do not like them & try to avoid that as much as possible. The downfall managery that exists in them can be absolutely brutal! I look for unburned country preferably! Less downfall, more feed & way more bedding areas.

What happens is I end up hearing bulls in or near the burns so end up getting sucked into them as I have a tough time passing up a bugler! (grin) Yes burns can hold elk or elk can be in green timber pockets that are on the fringes of these burns.

Don't want ones to think that burns are the key to finding elk, sure they can be around but they're ugly & tough to negotiate!

From time to time I will rest up on an evening & end up glassing a burn area or two to locate bulls in the 1 mile to 5 mile range to hunt in the morning, In many cases they are returning to the green timber where it's much better to call them in! Sorta tough to call them when they can see 300 yards through the sparse toothpicks!

All in all burns are ok but green timber is so much better!

ElkNut/Paul

Last edited:
Seems like often burns more fully torch the north facing slopes a harder because of the thicker forest compared to the south facing slopes of the same drainage. (Now this is where I'm hypothesizing) this should improve the quantity of feed in a given area but it comes at the cost of the shade and sanctuary of the dense green timber on those north faces where they bed. I would tend to look, like Paul says, at the junction of burned and green where the elk get benefits of both without moving far if I were to try and hunt a burn.

Last edited: