Hunting Recent Burns

StuartF

FNG
I’m wondering about the pros and cons of hunting recent burns for elk. I’ll be in an area where there was a fire last season and wondering what to expect as far as elk activity in and around the burned area.

Westhunt

FNG
My area had a 15k acre fire last July. I saw elk in the unturned pockets during the fire. And I saw them throughout the burned area all fall. Since they were still using the area right after it was scorched, I'm guessing they'll use it more with new growth this year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
S

StuartF

FNG
My area had a 15k acre fire last July. I saw elk in the unturned pockets during the fire. And I saw them throughout the burned area all fall. Since they were still using the area right after it was scorched, I'm guessing they'll use it more with new growth this year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Good to know! Thanks!

Jaquomo

WKR
I hunted a huge badly burned area the following season. Elk were still doing what they did before in the same spots, in a total moonscape. Crazy. Sometimes they bedded in their old bedding areas, except there were no needles or small branches on the trees. Rifle hunting would have been a piece of cake, if they were there then. Bowhunting was a nightmare with no cover.

I rifle hunted an area that had a big hot burn a couple years before. They crossed through the black powder soil for long distances to seek out food and bedding patches. Like, this was where the cows grew up and spent that part of year, and fire be damned. So that was where the bulls came back to during the rut.

OP
S

StuartF

FNG
Thanks for the input. I’ll be doing. Muzzleloader hunt in the area with the burn. So it will be that in between time after bow but before rifle.

Coues123

FNG
How big was the fire and how hot did it burn would be my questions to the appropriate agency. Moonscaped/scorched earth fires usually take a couple of years if they don't aerial reseed. If they do reseed and there is any cover available it's like fish in a barrel. Prescribed burns are usually good to hunt based on rainfall after the burn. Trails get logged up 3 to 4 years later after a good rain and wind.

OP
S

StuartF

FNG
BDE8005D-A83B-4740-A6C6-BD44C3DBF1CE.jpegThe fire burned about 1300 acres. Not sure how hot the fire got, but here is a photo of part of the burned section.

Coues123

FNG
If it gets some rain at the appropriate time it looks like a good place for them to get good feed and move off to cover. Moon phase would be my next concern. When are they moving out of the burn to bed. Where's the water source? Elk hunting to me is all about where they are moving to.

505Wapiti

WKR
First week of October in 2011 I hunted an area that had burned in June and elk were all over it. Felt like I had been cleaning chimneys after a couple days but it was awesome.

OP
S

StuartF

FNG
If it gets some rain at the appropriate time it looks like a good place for them to get good feed and move off to cover. Moon phase would be my next concern. When are they moving out of the burn to bed. Where's the water source? Elk hunting to me is all about where they are moving to.
Good things to think about. There are water sources in and outside the burned area.

KineKilla

WKR
Usually a season or two after is a good time to hunt burns. They'll stay good as long as the feed remains.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
S

StuartF

FNG
First week of October in 2011 I hunted an area that had burned in June and elk were all over it. Felt like I had been cleaning chimneys after a couple days but it was awesome.
That’s awesome. Crazy that they were back in there so soon.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Similar experience as others. I hunted an area that had burned 3 years earlier. It had very little vegetation and it was similar to walking in baby powder. My socks/feet were filthy. But the elk were still there. Likely had used the same area before fires.

It may be unsightly to some. It matters what the elk think, not you.

UncleBone

WKR
Have you guys that have hunted burns, found elk eating a lot of burn morels? If so, have you ever killed one that had a lot of mushrooms in its system?

Read1t48

WKR
Elk were in the burn while stumps were still smoking. They were everything coming up when new stuff started growing even though they had other feed nearby. They love it. I’ve watched bucks eating charcoal. I like burns. Plus I get free face camo from the trees. Great cover washes off easy.

A lot depends on how hot it burned. A lot can depend on the islands that didn't burn, the vegetation on the fringes and historic travel patterns.

I tend to travel through the burn and watch for the trails the elk develop and let them teach me how to hunt it. I have found I can cut out elk trails and control how they move. (If you cut it - they will come) It ain't easy but you can buy your way into it for years with a little time.