Hunting Recent Burns

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
My spot burned during the season last year and we got locked out but my cell camera on the waterhole had elk in it in the middle of the fire. I learned that if the fire is slow moving the elk do what elk do. Lots of fresh growth this spring and good morels my only concern is all the people who might move in this fall lol.

How big was the fire and how hot did it burn would be my questions to the appropriate agency. Moonscaped/scorched earth fires usually take a couple of years if they don't aerial reseed. If they do reseed and there is any cover available it's like fish in a barrel. Prescribed burns are usually good to hunt based on rainfall after the burn. Trails get logged up 3 to 4 years later after a good rain and wind.

AHAL

FNG
Last year we killed two in northern CO in a burned out area. Hunted the burned area similar to what was posted and caught a herd coming out of north facing timber at daybreak.

I don't think they had any issue passing through, but it wasn't an area they were going to be in for long