Elk/muley/whitetail rifle help

Mosby

WKR
Jack O'Connor killed about every animal walking on the face of the earth with a 270 and Nosler Partitions.

I would get a glass bedded stock, a better scope and invest in some premium bullets. You really don't need a different caliber or a new rifle especially for mule or whitetail.

As an alternative, for around $800 you can send your action to Hart Barrel in NY and they will blueprint the action and put on a premium barrel in any caliber you want. That is a better alternative to buying somebody else's inaccurate rifle. Or take it to any one of a dozen gunsmiths in PA and have them work on it.

Mosby

WKR
Here is a ballistic comparison between many of the calibers being discussed including the 270, 280, 280ai and the 7 mag....fwiw. Under 300 yds the differences will be irrelevant to the animal.

picture-of-270-vs-280-Remington-vs-280-Ackley-Improved-vs-7mm-Rem-Mag-trajectory.jpg

Coming from another lefty, just wait and get what you want. I had a 300wsm t3x that I loved but it was right handed. I had loads for it, brake, the works.
I sold it because I was tired of shooting right handed rifles. 7mag is a great choice if you are buying factory ammo. I would do 280ai if you handload.
Just wait for the right rifle to show up and get that one instead of settling for what might be a good deal. Put out want to buy ads on all the forums and watch the classifieds.
I don't have any experience with the newer savages but I will say I'm in love with my tikkas. I now have a stainless 270 T3 that I use for everything in Pennsylvania and out west. 140gr accubond handloads do the job to 400 yards. 3-9 swfa hd

sargent

WKR
I don't think you "need" a new rifle to hunt elk, mule deer, whitetail, or bear. I stepped down to the .270 caliber from a 300 WSM, too much recoil for me to shoot well and it tore up the whitetails pretty bad, and have killed elk, whitetail, and bear with the .270 (seems about perfect for muleys as well). However, I'm not immune to the urge to buy new guns and understand where you're coming from. Good luck with your search.

OP
aspade17

aspade17

FNG
Thanks so much everyone! It is nice getting a bunch of answers with great thoughts and reasoning behind them. Looks as though the consensus is to stay 270 which I have no problem with. Might put a few new things on it( better/bigger optics, better trigger) and really work on making it as accurate as I can at longer range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone! It is nice getting a bunch of answers with great thoughts and reasoning behind them. Looks as though the consensus is to stay 270 which I have no problem with. Might put a few new things on it( better/bigger optics, better trigger) and really work on making it as accurate as I can at longer range.

I gather your 270 is a lefty?

With that said, that Savage 110 lefty that was offered up above in post #16 in 280AI with ammo would surely tempt despite what I have already shared, only because you are a lefty and they aren't as easy to come by.

A 280 Remington (and by default, a 280AI) with a 160 grain Nosler Partition is hell on wheels for elk. I loaded that bullet for my fathers 280 Remington pump for years and he made hay with it. I chose that bullet because of the detachable magazine where seating depth and OAL was a limiting factor. Couldn't go with any of the longer more aerodynamic bullets of similar weight.

OP
aspade17

aspade17

FNG
I gather your 270 is a lefty?

With that said, that Savage 110 lefty that was offered up above in post #16 in 280AI with ammo would surely tempt despite what I have already shared, only because you are a lefty and they aren't as easy to come by.

A 280 Remington (and by default, a 280AI) with a 160 grain Nosler Partition is hell on wheels for elk. I loaded that bullet for my fathers 280 Remington pump for years and he made hay with it. I chose that bullet because of the detachable magazine where seating depth and OAL was a limiting factor. Couldn't go with any of the longer more aerodynamic bullets of similar weight.

My 270 is indeed a lefty which is about the only reason I haven’t jumped on getting a new rifle for sure.
With that above rifle deal I can’t message him unfortunately because he only has 3 posts.

OP
aspade17

aspade17

FNG
I have a Savage 110 timberline left hand in 280 ai I'm willing to part with. And about 10 boxes of various ammo. Pm me

Can’t pm you, you’ll have to get more posts first or send me your number

Another lefty. I refuse to shoot a right handed rifle. That is just me be stubborn but there are plenty of options. The Tikka TX3 light comes in a bunch of calibers and there are lots of aftermarket parts. You can find them very reasonable if you look around and be patient. Good luck.

davsco

WKR
sportsmans warehouse has had lefty tikka t3x lites in 300wsm and 300 winmag from time to time lately. i had a t3 in 300wm and it kicked like a friggin mule, sold it. got a 300wsm t3x and had it threaded and added a brake and it is a total pleasure to shoot. then i recently upgraded it more by swapping out the barrel to a proof carbon prefit and upgraded to a mesa precision altitude stock. i got two elk year before last with it and all i can say is after seeing them easily absorb the first hits, i def wouldn't be looking for a lesser caliber round to hunt them. a 300 mag would be a meaningful step up from your 270.

OP
aspade17

aspade17

FNG
Caliber tends to vary as I got bored. 222,6mm,7mm-08,270,30-30

If your 700 has a good trigger, upgrade the stock and away you go. I have two 700s at my gunsmith right now. I am going with the AG composite privateer.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Dont live in PA . but hunt both deer and elk every year . I shoot 7 REM .MAG. in a weatherby 7.5 ib. rifle a ,300 custom win. mag. on a mauser action 10 ib. rifle a 300 wby. mag . in a 8 ib. rifle . If it hits hard on one end ,it hits hard on the other ,especially the lighter the gun . that said my no. go to is my 7 mag .

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to reload, why not go custom and build a 7 SAUM or 7 Sherman Short? With pre-fit barrels, you can spin the barrel to the action pretty easily. You could go stock or chassis. If you look around, you can probably find a used short action and save some money there.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk