Elopement

We basically did an elopement. It was just immediate family at an AirBnB. Spent like $500 total. Best decision ever.

Find a few spots you both like, draw a number from a hat, and go.

Marble

WKR
My wife and I eloped. Had a really good friend do the ceremony. We didn't tell anyone else we were married. We eloped because we planned a regular wedding for everyone else the following year, and we were paying an extra $700 towards health insurance. We saved that money over the next year and applied it to our public wedding the following year and our honeymoon.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I am a semi professional musician. I get paid to play bistro bars outdoor venues etc. etc. and I work for pretty reasonable money. You can’t pay me enough to do a wedding. Everyone I’ve ever done you could cut the stress in the air with a knife and take it home in a suitcase. My first marriage we eloped and were married for close to 20 years. Never really missed the idea of a wedding. My second marriage well… We’ve been sort of engaged for 22 years? or there-abouts…

I wish me and my wife had just eloped.

If I could do it all over again,
I wouldn’t have invited my sister to my wedding. She acted like a complete idiot the entire time.

WKR
I asked the father in law for permission to take his daughters hand. He suggested elopement. I was ecstatic and started selling the bride to be on planning a great trip and saving a ton of money AND stress.

Couple weeks later he's over for dinner and asks where "we" were eloping to. Turns out he confused elopement with destination wedding. I could just see the disappointment wash over him at the idea of not being there. I could see all my hard work in selling elopement vanish, as well as my bank account.

Now we are doing a destination wedding. And its expensive and there's invitations and photographers to squabble over. The money is one thing, but wedding planning real puts a dent in your day to day happiness. That's the best part of elopement. Skipping the 4 months of stress.

Backyard

WKR
My wife and I did this in ‘91. We chose to do it at Sturgis during bike week. Still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Our opinions 28 years ago was that getting married was for the two people getting married. Weddings were for the people that aren't in the marriage. Justice of the Peace then, much more financially whole ever since.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I second the opinion of going the 30A route vs Orange Beach. Watercolor, Rosemary Beach, Aly's Beach, any of them will be heads and tails above Orange Beach. You're saving money over a traditional wedding so splurge a little. All kinds of quaint little places to stay. We spend a good bit of time down that way and very seldom go to Orange Beach. We got married in our late 30's and looking back my wife wishes we would have taken the money spent on our wedding and eloped. I tried to tell her at the time but she wasn't having it.

grfox92

WKR
My wife and I got married at the courthouse. My mother and her father in attendance. It cost $200 for the marriage lisence.

My best friend got married in June of 2022. Last week he told me that the wedding was the worst mistakenly has ever made in his life. $60k for a one day party for all of your guests to talk sh** about how their prime rib was dry.

Needless to say we have zero regrets not having an actual wedding and are happily married.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
My wife and I did a traditional wedding but were broke as hell so we did it on the cheap. I think we did it for less than 2000. It was nothing special but it worked and she has never said a word about it being disappointing or not what she wanted.

My buddy did the big wedding, spent a lot of money because you only get married once…minus the divorce 4 years later.

There’s no formula to it. What works for you two is the most important but I would push for the elopement.

hunterjmj

WKR
Wife and I did a traditional wedding at our church with refreshments afterwards. We probably spent $2000. Wife's mom wanted to buy the dress and some other items. I can't remember all what we paid for but it wasn't much. Said our vows, visited a bit then left for our honeymoon. If we had to do it all over again we'd probably do the exact same thing.
Good luck in whatever you do.