email account

That depends on what you actually want/ need. If it's just for a personal one & you don't need a lot of features you could just go with one of the usual free ones (gmail, yahoo, etc.) but just know every one of them will be scanning & selling all your information.
I'd recommend Protonmail also, it'll just cost you about $50 a year or so.
Mail.com is pretty good too (approx $30/ year)

Beendare

WKR
Don't do Yahoo....I have had stuff just disappear on their servers and I'm migrating off of that.

My private servers in two different companies has been great.

Free; Gmail has been good for me- better than the other free email I have had.

Proton. Even the free accounts are encrypted. At minimum, all your financial stuff should be through an encrypted email. I still use outlook for some personal stuff (promo codes and the like) so it doesn’t plug up my Proton inbox with junk.

ODB

WKR
I have had Mac/Apple mail since it was a paid service in 2002. I have about 8 accounts with them and have no intention of ever changing. I even use them for pass-through email service for a business. No complaints.

ODB

WKR
That depends on what you actually want/ need. If it's just for a personal one & you don't need a lot of features you could just go with one of the usual free ones (gmail, yahoo, etc.) but just know every one of them will be scanning & selling all your information.
I'd recommend Protonmail also, it'll just cost you about $50 a year or so.
Mail.com is pretty good too (approx $30/ year)

With the sophistication of cookies these days, there is almost no reason to scan email. You visit a site (including this one) Click OK on that annoying cookie pop-up and thew amount of data flow is incredible. New cookies share old info on cookies, meaning they mine your old activity. The only sure privacy with computers these days is the power switch.

fwafwow

WKR
With the sophistication of cookies these days, there is almost no reason to scan email. You visit a site (including this one) Click OK on that annoying cookie pop-up and thew amount of data flow is incredible. New cookies share old info on cookies, meaning they mine your old activity. The only sure privacy with computers these days is the power switch.
I separated from Google Drive and Gmail because they scan everything. My understanding is that they are at least currently doing it (in part) to feed AI learning. I want my emails end to end encrypted, but I also acknowledge that unless the recipient is using the same E2EE platform, it’s not private.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I separated from Google Drive and Gmail because they scan everything. My understanding is that they are at least currently doing it (in part) to feed AI learning. I want my emails end to end encrypted, but I also acknowledge that unless the recipient is using the same E2EE platform, it’s not private.
The end to end concept is a hard one for most people to grasp. I recently had a very firm conversation with a car dealership about their policies regarding how and what they send via email.

fwafwow

WKR
The end to end concept is a hard one for most people to grasp. I recently had a very firm conversation with a car dealership about their policies regarding how and what they send via email.
Agreed. It’s good on paper, like Signal vs SMS, but of limited benefit until adopted more widely.

Apple is very secure overall and has good privacy options, but fwiw Apple iCloud Mail is not E2EE - even if you opt into Advanced Data Protection.

ODB

WKR
Agreed. It’s good on paper, like Signal vs SMS, but of limited benefit until adopted more widely.

Apple is very secure overall and has good privacy options, but fwiw Apple iCloud Mail is not E2EE - even if you opt into Advanced Data Protection.

And it all goes to shit when some knucklead’s system is compromised, or they accidentally forward something to the wrong person.